Will this hair hide a good strip scar?

I believe my barber uses a #3 guard on the bottom and a #4 guard toward the top. Does this look like a sufficient length to conceal a strip scar from a reputable, recommended surgeon? The doctor claims that this hair will be plenty long enough to conceal the scar.

Edited by JeffC45

• Administrators

It depends on how well you heal, I think a #4 is cutting it close, if you scar well you can definitely get away with it, if you don't then you will be able to see a crease, people may just assume you were wearing a hat, but if you always have it, then someone like myself with a trained eye would pick up very quickly that it's from an HT.

I don't think any surgeon can guarantee a good scar, if they do then I don't think they're being honest. I think scars have to do with who's closing the incision yes that's important, but also how well your body heals, and what you do post op, one of my best friends had an HT 10 years ago he was one of my main inspirations for getting one done, we both live active lifestyles go to the gym 4-5x per week, he got back to the gym after about a month, I think that had a significant impact on his scar, because it stretched, It's not a terrible scar, but he can't go to a #4 guard.

In summation, can you get away with a #4 guard with an FUT, absolutely, is it guaranteed you will, certainly not, unfortunately an FUT scar is like a result, even the best doctors don't get good results 100% of the time and most certainly don't get perfect scars.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What is your level of baldness/thinning in the front?

Been seeing lot of questions from you on FUT/FUE and scars etc., but I think with pics we could give you a better assessment.

If you want to keep your hair short or sometimes even shorter than FUE would be a better option.

You don't seem to be balding from the donor also, so are you looking at FUT based on cost?

Agree that #4 guard may be the minimum safe limit as you never know.

anyway good luck

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I am just about four months out from strip surgery. I had an excellent surgeon and my scar is a non issue. Having said that I don't think anyone even with the best strip scar could go as low as a three guard.

I believe my barber uses a #3 guard on the bottom and a #4 guard toward the top. Does this look like a sufficient length to conceal a strip scar from a reputable, recommended surgeon? The doctor claims that this hair will be plenty long enough to conceal the scar.

Can you see scalp at that length?

Only just saw this thread .

As mentioned , largely depends on surgeons skill , your own physiology and post op regimen . HTsoon metioned about his friend hitting the gym 1 month post op .

I was conerned about scar stretch so didn't do any weights for 4 months . Maybe OTT , but why chance it after all the financial and emotional energy invested .

By the way , my scar is not visible when cut to a no.3 . If I'm feeling brave sometime might give a no.2 a go.