.625mg Fin 2x week Tuesday and Fridays - my experience

hsrp10

*if you don't experience any sides take the medicine at the recommended dosage, I'm just sharing what is working for me so far

I've been on and off Fin for the past 6 years, when I'm able to tolerate it my hair really gets a density boost as most other responders on this drug.

The problem is that I experience the following sides, and when I quit these sides go away:

- poor sleep quality where I wake up feeling I having slept at all

- general fatigue and also brain fog related to the above

- watery sperm (we already have kids and I'm approaching 50 lol, so this is not a major impact in my life)

So my last attempt at taking this drug until they come out with a better solution is lower dose of .625mg prescription Finasteride (5mg cut into eights) spaced apart during the week taken on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Status of sides at 1.5 month mark

- sleep is light the days taken and second day after but improves and have great sleep on the last days before taking again

- no real fatigue or major brain fog

- sperm is somewhat watery but has better whiteness and consistency then when previous taking once a day or M-W-F

Will try to make a monthly report and see how long I can stay on Fin this time.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

My advice to you is... Continue with fin for a longer time...in my case it took about 1.5 yrs for the brain fog to go away. Also regularly take Omega 3 supplement for sharper brain. Also use Merk branded Proscar and not generics. I battled with brain fog and my desperation to keep my hair for 2-3 years. Finally continuing to use Merk proscar for a long duration got rid of my brainfog.

hsrp10,

Thanks for another good post, it serves as great reference. I just started Actavis Fin from Costco's, the recommended dosage of 1mg, daily, for the first time ever. 12 days post op. I'll pay close attention to all the side effects.

Currently no major sexual sides and same status as above, knock on wood lol ;)

I had been on it for extended periods of time in the past, yeah and do recommend it if you can get away with no or little sides.

The thickest and darkest my hair has ever been was after my Konior touchup and also being on Fin continuously for 10 months, this was about 2 years ago.

We'll see if I can get back to this thickness if can tolerate the drug long-term, but will cut my hair shorter.

If not I'll drop the medicine and just live with it, with some touchups along the way.

Fin_10months.jpg.680cab1ac43bdab3129c7c7548319a7e.jpg

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to give it a try when there are more published user results and data out there.

As long as it doesn't cause scalp issues etc.

go dense or go home

Status of sides at around 2.0 month mark

- sleep is same as 1.5 months, light the days taken and second day after but improves and have great sleep on the last days before taking again. But no major insomnia issues

- no real fatigue or major brain fog

- sexual sides same as 1.5 months, however morning wood is rare.

Still erections are solid lol

Sperm is somewhat watery but has better whiteness and consistency then when previous taking once a day or M-W-F

Had a decent hair day for the first time in a while so it's working as it always does regarding boosting my hair quality.

Next update at 3 months.

go dense or go home

Seems that was the recommended dosage Merck came up with after their clinical trials and studies.

Most hair restoration surgeons now recommend M-W-F from what I've seen, and my most recent attempt at lower dosage is based on my past personal experience with higher and more frequent dosage (1.25mg daily or every other day).

https://www.drugwatch.com/propecia/

In 1997, pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co. introduced Propecia as a new use for finasteride, a synthetic compound the company developed five years earlier. Originally marketed as Proscar, doctors first prescribed 5 mg of finasteride to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), more commonly known as an enlarged prostate gland.

Merck later discovered a remarkable side effect of Proscar treatment — some patients started to grow hair. By dropping the dose of finasteride to 1 mg, researchers found a way to correct male pattern baldness, a hereditary condition that affects close to 50 percent of the male population 50 or older.

go dense or go home

Thanks for posting this hsrp10. I'm on the exact same regimen and it seems to be working for me as well. I had the same problem (side effects) until I dropped the every day dosage to switch to 0.625mg twice a week.

Hey man, good to know others are using this dosage method.

How long have you been on the .625mg 2x week regimen? Is it working so far?

go dense or go home

• 4 months later...

I had stopped again prior to my Konior small procedure to achieve a non-Finasteride baseline but am back on this dosage schedule of .625mg 2x week on Tues and Fridays.

I'm a firm believer that it works as the hair boost is back with hair even sticking up and darkening while sperm quality and sexual performance is solid... lol

Yes I can feel some differences compared to when stopping (slightly less sensation, occasional light brain fog) but these are much reduced than when I was taking 1.25mg 3-4x week.

Sticking with this routine for the long-term fingers crossed..

go dense or go home

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Fin.

I started taking it about 3 Months ago.

First I tried it topical, I noticed slight pain where the prostate area is, some kind of muscle shivering.

After 3 weeks or so I started with additional 1.25mg 5 days/week. I then started to have REAL pain in the prostate area plus brain fog plus light sleep plus watery sperm. Really annoying.

I cancelled taking it topically and decided to take smaller amounts to find the right amount for me.

I've tried a lot (from 2 times / week 1.25 mg to 0.25 mg each day), for now I've ended up taking it dissolved in vodka (so it's easier to dose a 5mg Finpecia), 4-5x a week 0,50mg with significant less sides.

I'm still in a progress to find "my" dosage, but 1.25 mg each day is definitely a NO GO for me.

I'm also microdosing by disolving it in alcohol. The dht inhibition vs dosage seems very flat in the studies so even 0.05 mg should have some effects - though I do wonder about the half-life - ie is it better to take 0.05mg twice a day than 0.1 once a day?

Even on 0.05 i do experience some brain fog for a few hours. The fact this reduces over the course of a day suggests to me the dht inhibition is reducing - though I'd love a more scientific opinion. The response time from taking the medication to getting brain fog is quite quick 30 mins even.

By the way what in calling brain fog is really a mild 'out of body' like feeling. I don't think it's really affecting my cognition, more sometimes I feel a little dizzy / my depth perception seems slightly off. Does this also happen for others?

I am Dr. Kelvin Tanyi, a hairloss expert for 7 years now with successful reviews. Please visit my medical center online at LINK REMOVED for more details and consultation. You can visit us at ....

Huh...why bother buying ad time when you can just jump in a thread and hijack it.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I'm also microdosing by disolving it in alcohol. The dht inhibition vs dosage seems very flat in the studies so even 0.05 mg should have some effects - though I do wonder about the half-life - ie is it better to take 0.05mg twice a day than 0.1 once a day?

Even on 0.05 i do experience some brain fog for a few hours. The fact this reduces over the course of a day suggests to me the dht inhibition is reducing - though I'd love a more scientific opinion. The response time from taking the medication to getting brain fog is quite quick 30 mins even.

By the way what in calling brain fog is really a mild 'out of body' like feeling. I don't think it's really affecting my cognition, more sometimes I feel a little dizzy / my depth perception seems slightly off. Does this also happen for others?

Just bringing this thread back on topic as the mods didn't remove the spam.

(please remove the spam post when you have time mods)

I'm not so sure diluting Fin in alcohol is the best approach as lower "real" doses taken with water may be a better idea.

In my case the brain fog was more of a grogginess when the drug affects my sleep and I wake up not feeling really rested. It goes away when stopping Fin and reduces when I take smaller doses at the current regimen.

go dense or go home

Just bringing this thread back on topic as the mods didn't remove the spam.

(please remove the spam post when you have time mods)

I'm not so sure diluting Fin in alcohol is the best approach as lower "real" doses taken with water may be a better idea.

In my case the brain fog was more of a grogginess when the drug affects my sleep and I wake up not feeling really rested. It goes away when stopping Fin and reduces when I take smaller doses at the current regimen.

Hey buddy; started to think about taking finasteride; even have some propecia; which I have already split into approx 0.25mg tabs; only issue is... how do you know that whatever dosage you are taking is actually doing the job (retaining your hair) until about a year down the line?

I'm contemplating either 0.25mg every day; 0.25mg MWF or 0.5mg MWF at the moment; never taken it before but for money and for being petrified of long lasting side effects want to go as low as possible.

I was diluting mine with alcohol too, but thought it may harm it's efficacy, so I just dropped the fin altogether. Happy!:D

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Hey buddy; started to think about taking finasteride; even have some propecia; which I have already split into approx 0.25mg tabs; only issue is... how do you know that whatever dosage you are taking is actually doing the job (retaining your hair) until about a year down the line?

I'm contemplating either 0.25mg every day; 0.25mg MWF or 0.5mg MWF at the moment; never taken it before but for money and for being petrified of long lasting side effects want to go as low as possible.

What this thread is about is those who have tried Fin, know it works, but are trying to reduce current dosage to stay on the drug for the betterment of their hair.

You are correct that it takes a long time to determine if it works in your own case and unfortunately you won't know about the sides until you actually try.

The chances are low but the risk is there. I agree starting with a low dose a few times a week may be a safer conservative approach. Hope you are lucky with the sides not being prominent.

good luck

go dense or go home

• 1 month later...

I have this exact same thing. I thought it was the nocebo effect so I did an experiment where I bought empty gelatin capsules, crushed the pills and set up five .5mg doses, put them in an unmarked pill container and then did the same thing except with aspirin in another pill container. Then I took the two unmarked pill containers and put them in a bag, mixed them up and pulled one out.

I then took pills from one container for four days. Then I waited a few days and I took pills from the other container for four days. This in essence allowed me to take Propecia without being sure I took Propecia.

Sure enough, I got sides while on Propecia and not when I took aspirin. And I had no idea which one I was taking. So this proves to me that the side effects are legit and not psychosomatic.

But, so far, I've only taken Propecia for 3 days at a time, two times. The sides became so unbearable that I stopped. I wonder though if there is an adjustment period where my body will eventually adjust to these side effects if I take it for a few months. The idea of living with these sides for the long-term is unbearable. But if they were to fade away that might be worth it.