Hit head 14 days post op, please help!

Hi all,

I am 14 days post op. All of my scabs are gone and the recipient area has been looking very well and healed.

Today I hit my head on the edge of a rock and grazed my recipient area, luckily I was wearing a cap and this lessened the damage. This resulted in some bleeding. A few hairs came out and these did not have a bulb attached, they looked like the ordinary hairs I have been shedding post op (short sharp hair with no bulb or root attached). The wound isn't deep and is just a graze on the surface and I have not seen anymore blood.

I attach a couple of pics to show the damage.

Please can someone help me determine how bad this damage is? I'd be interested in hearing your views. I am very worried and upset this happened.

20161020_175753-1.thumb.jpg.44e7a300b8fb2a939dd8e04a3a8abf87.jpg

Screenshot_2016-10-20-19-31-24.jpg.6e2d6f4bbf3b124b6f14d61b15260289.jpg

• Administrators

At 14 days the grafts should be secured, with that being said the damage looks pretty bad, you may have some growth issues in that area, if not from graft damage then by possible scarring sorry. Consult with your clinic for their opinion.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

At 14 days the grafts should be secured, with that being said the damage looks pretty bad, you may have some growth issues in that area, if not from graft damage then by possible scarring sorry. Consult with your clinic for their opinion.

The doctor said that only the area where the wound bled could be damaged which looks to be about 4 grafts. I wanted to see what others thought too. Thanks for the reply.

Yikes, must have been stressful. What were you doing to hit your head? I'm so careful at the moment, I'm convinced people passing me by are some how going to knock me/my head so I give everyone a wide birth :D . Anyway, hopefully its just the hairs that you have lots and not the grafts that have been lost.

I think any scarring or damage that you may have would have occurred no matter what. Looks like a pretty good lick. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a little scar there. Big picture won't matter though.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Yikes, must have been stressful. What were you doing to hit your head? I'm so careful at the moment, I'm convinced people passing me by are some how going to knock me/my head so I give everyone a wide birth :D . Anyway, hopefully its just the hairs that you have lots and not the grafts that have been lost.

I was at a nature site having a look around and hit my head on a rock - was a very upsetting moment!! Thanks for your comments, good luck with yours.

I think any scarring or damage that you may have would have occurred no matter what. Looks like a pretty good lick. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a little scar there. Big picture won't matter though.

Thanks for the comment, I'm curious about scarring too, it probably looks worse in the picture than it actually was!

I posted a query on realself and had a very reassuring response from Dr William Rassman who seems to be a very reputable doctor and he said the following:

"You reported bleeding on your head 14 days after surgery fro trauma. I doubt that any significant damage is done if all of the crusts were off when the trauma occurred. I wrote a paper on this"

https://www.realself.com/question/united-kingdom-gb-i-hit-head-14-days-post-operation-bleeding-views-damage-pics#3624671

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I wanted to update on this as I'm sure it will help someone who may be in a similar situation.

I am now just under 8 months post op and have noticed no negative impact on results on the affected area from my bump.

Image attached for 8 month result.

Hope this helps someone out there!

20170520_170602.jpg.edb196b08de11b5de74f26dd0af0a98f.jpg

Glad to hear it. Generally after 6 days the grafts are i place permanently, but it's always best to be careful for a couple of weeks.

Thankfully you seem to have suffered no ill effects from the accident.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

At first I didn't realise this thread was old and I was going to say that as the grafts are secured by 2 weeks, the likelihood of any problems would be low. Even though this is an unusual amount of trauma for a new HT patient to receive. I'm glad to see that your grafts have grown and this thread will surely help other HT patients - most of whom won't have been hit by a rock at 14 days lol ;)

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

At first I didn't realise this thread was old and I was going to say that as the grafts are secured by 2 weeks, the likelihood of any problems would be low. Even though this is an unusual amount of trauma for a new HT patient to receive. I'm glad to see that your grafts have grown and this thread will surely help other HT patients - most of whom won't have been hit by a rock at 14 days lol ;)

I did a lot of research when it happened (as you can imagine!). From an untrained eye, the root is further down than you think. It is unlikely that a graze would be deep enough to kill the graft, however even if it did I think the loss of a few grafts would be unnoticeable even if it occurred.

I think with these procedures we become extremely anal about everything that happens - best thing to do is not be paranoid and just wait and see!

So now what about that huge lump on top of your head?

I think what you're seeing is hair! :P