Washing hair post surgery - Stressed!

Okay, talk me off the ledge people!

I know I'm totally being silly, but I'm so stressed about washing my hair post surgery.:(

At Asmed they do a surprisingly vigorous wash the very next day and then ask clients to wash it themselves every day following that so that by around the 10th-12th day its all scab free. I had both my first and 2nd day wash at the clinic but then yesterday (day 3) I fly home and washed it myself for the first time and I have to say it stressed me out so much trying to actually gently massage in the shampoo as instructed. It seems fairly hard, dry and crusty already in the front so I'm worried about the direction of massaging and possibly snapping off the hairs/grafts as this feel quite hard and brittle. Today was a little better it was still quite nerve racking and I have now worked myself in to a right anxious mess and convinced myself I have done some damage and lots some grafts. Doesn't help when I google and find others being told to wait several days before washing or literally only applying (literally patting on) shampoo and rinsing but not massaging it in. :confused:

Anyway this is my hair today (washed it about 4 hours ago) at day 5 (or 4th days after surgery).

IMG_3280.thumb.jpg.6bb3d7979c4e4501a6609a5cb6cd318e.jpg

• Administrators

I use a bowl of Luke warm water with a special shampoo my doc gave me but you could use baby shampoo, then you dip a soft sponge in the bowl and gently tap the recipient area with the sponge. It's worked for me my other two surgeries by 10 days you can start getting more aggressive. The grafts are placed pretty firmly you have to physically try and remove them at this point I doubt washing them will do anything.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just follow your doctors instructions Justjax. I think everyone feels a little anxious at this point so not uncommon. Confusingly doctors have different views on this.

Looks fine though.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

It looks ok mate. Just tap the shampoo on and rinse gently. Unless you see blood, the grafts are intact. It does seem to be healing nicely.

Did you doctor instruct for you to use saline solution? If so this will help the grafts to be kept moist & also helps with keeping the scabbin down.

Thanks guys. Asmed's washing advice is to put their moisturizing mousse on the recipient area for 15-20 mins (think thats meant to help soften up the scabs), then rinse and wash using their special shampoo and then repeat the shampooing for a 2nd time. They make no mention of saline solution. I think for the next 3-4 days I'll do as Dolph suggests and use the shampoo but with very little massaging of the area. It might mean I have scabs for a bit longer, but at least by around 7-9 days later I'll have the confidence that the grafts are safely anchored.

I use a bowl of Luke warm water with a special shampoo my doc gave me but you could use baby shampoo, then you dip a soft sponge in the bowl and gently tap the recipient area with the sponge. It's worked for me my other two surgeries by 10 days you can start getting more aggressive. The grafts are placed pretty firmly you have to physically try and remove them at this point I doubt washing them will do anything.

HTsoon, thanks for the tips, I'll try I was planning to use baby shampoo once the Asmed one is finished. I'll try the sponge idea too.

It is quite confusing that so many doctors have different methods for doing this, and your nerves are perfectly understandable. However, try not to overthink it and get sucked down that vortex of imagining worst case scenarios. Personally, I don't quite understand the "massage" aspect of their instructions and definitely don't understand the "vigorous" washing they gave you. You don't want to do any motion that will move or disrupt the grafts.

The best and easiest thing to do is (as others have stated) is to use warm water to make the suds with the shampoo (or mousse, in your case), and use the sponge to gently dab the recipient area and let the suds soak. This is essentially what it appears your own surgeon instructed you to do as well. Think of it less as a "massage" and more of a "dab/tap", then use a cup to gently rinse the suds away. I think you're probably doing a better job than you realize.

The more closely you follow these instructions, the less likely you are to develop serious scabs.

Side note: You will want to be more vigorous with the donor area. Dr. Mohebi gives out a double sided sponge, for example, with soft, plastic bristles to be used to gently scrub the donor area.

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Just a note, i experienced some really bad dandruff about 3-4 weeks post op over my whole head because the shampoo the clinic gave me was very basic without any moisturizers or anything. I thought it was a good shampoo but I guess my scalp dries out pretty quickly so I had to switch. The clinic advised me to switch to a shampoo with moisturizers so I started using selson blue and then a nizoral shampoo every 3 days. I was advised not to use the nizoral for 1 month post op. So if you get dandruff easily, just a heads up. But as far as your concerns for washing, I would just follow the clinics orders. Like everyone has said, every doctor has their own way of telling patients what to do. I wouldn't doubt ASMED at all about their post op instructions as they constantly produce some of the best results out there.

Just a note, i experienced some really bad dandruff about 3-4 weeks post op over my whole head because the shampoo the clinic gave me was very basic without any moisturizers or anything. I thought it was a good shampoo but I guess my scalp dries out pretty quickly so I had to switch. The clinic advised me to switch to a shampoo with moisturizers so I started using selson blue and then I was advised not to use the nizoral for 1 month post op. So if you get dandruff easily, just a heads up. But as far as your concerns for washing, Ia nizoral shampoo every 3 days. would just follow the clinics orders. Like everyone has said, every doctor has their own way of telling patients what to do. I wouldn't doubt ASMED at all about their post op instructions as they constantly produce some of the best results out there.

Its strange how different the advise is surgery to surgery. I was advised to start using Nizoral regularly 2-3 weeks after HT. Also i was told not to wash my hair 7 days post op, but just to spray saline water every few hours. Amazingly when i did wash my hair after 7 days with baby shampoo, all my scabs came off without any issue.

Its strange how different the advise is surgery to surgery. I was advised to start using Nizoral regularly 2-3 weeks after HT. Also i was told not to wash my hair 7 days post op, but just to spray saline water every few hours. Amazingly when i did wash my hair after 7 days with baby shampoo, all my scabs came off without any issue.

I know thats what makes it all a little scary. Anyway, the clinic are encouraging me to be a bit firmer so that the scabs are clear by day 10 so I will definitely use a little more pressure tomorrow. Scared to see what its going to look like scab free, but equally can't wait to get rid of the scab and be able to feel normal hair (and not crusty scabs) again.

Did they particularly prescribe a special shampoo for you? One of my friends had a shampoo specifically made for the clinic where he got his procedure done. It smelled rather plain. Needless to say he only used it once a week (more like once every 10 days or so) after his procedure. Good luck.

Did they particularly prescribe a special shampoo for you? One of my friends had a shampoo specifically made for the clinic where he got his procedure done. It smelled rather plain. Needless to say he only used it once a week (more like once every 10 days or so) after his procedure. Good luck.

Hi Milo, with Asmed they give you their own branded special mousse (you put it on and leave it absorb in for 15-20 mins before washing) and Asmed shampoo, which use are to use daily (shampooing the hair twice at each daily wash). Not sure what's in it but guess it has some type of medial smell too it.

Hi Milo, with Asmed they give you their own branded special mousse (you put it on and leave it absorb in for 15-20 mins before washing) and Asmed shampoo, which use are to use daily (shampooing the hair twice at each daily wash). Not sure what's in it but guess it has some type of medial smell too it.

Yes at least the more serious clinics do make their won branded shampoos - although they are all the same if you ask me.

You mention a daily wash and twice a day at that. That strikes me as odd. My friend with around the same amount of grafts was told to wash his hair once a week in post op. I will have to gather some info and get back to you on that. Oh well it seems not all doctors are the same now are they.

I know thats what makes it all a little scary. Anyway, the clinic are encouraging me to be a bit firmer so that the scabs are clear by day 10 so I will definitely use a little more pressure tomorrow. Scared to see what its going to look like scab free, but equally can't wait to get rid of the scab and be able to feel normal hair (and not crusty scabs) again.

Be careful with Nizoral. Overuse will cause hair loss. Instructions even suggest use up to 8 weeks only. I'd say once a week, for 8 weeks only. Lots off people think 30 days post op is ok, others say 3 months. I personally suggest waiting the 3 months. I just bought California baby super sensitive baby shampoo. Any whole foods have it. I believe this is gentle enough for the first month or so. Lots of members vouch for the baby shampoo. Let us know how it goes.

Be careful with Nizoral. Overuse will cause hair loss. .

But to be very fair all dermatological shampoos (and topical solutions for that matter) cause some degree of hair loss. For example, Fluocinoide is a regularly prescribed medicated topical liquid for certain conditions with one of the listed side effects being hair loss. Will you lose all your hair from it? Perish the thought! But nonetheless it can contribute to some loss. "Some" being a few strands not much. That being the case keep in mind of the risk (side effects) of using it outweighing the risk of not using it.