Propecia vs Generic Fin

BaronVonHairline

Hey all,

Just curious if there is thought to be any difference in quality, safety, efficacy, or anything else other than price with Propecia vs generic finasteride. Is there any known uptick in risk of side effects with generic, or are generics less effective?

Just curious. I know the ingredients are the same, but I recall reading somewhere on a forum that someone was told by a doctor some generics may be more risky in terms of potential sides.

I don't know the answer I am just reporting what I was told but when I went to see Dr Hasson for a consult he told me to get off any generic fin and stick to proscar. I've only ever used real proscar so I have no comparison but he was insistent that the results were less on a generic in the cases he's seen over the years and gave me a script that had been stamped with no generic replacement on it for what that is worth.

It's my personal experience from conversations with doctors and pharmacists, to reading articles and research online, to working as a pharmacy technician in college,that there is virtually no difference between the name brand and the generic drug. I'm sure there are some exceptions (for example, an article I found citing a pharmacist who prefers the name brand of a seizure prevention drug to the generic because the two dissolve at a different rate, which in turn impacts the likelihood of a seizure on the generic.) With a drug like finasteride, this isn't an issue.

I take a quarter tablet of generic 5 mg Proscar daily and have had great results and no side effects.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I have always used generic. The name brand stuff is just too costly in comparison. I'm pleased with the results I've had.

As long as the drug is purchased from a reputable source, there should be no difference between 1mg generic finasteride and name brand.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Awesome, thanks for the replies all. I think I'm finally ready to give it a go with fin. I have been really reluctant due to potential sides et al, but I'm shedding a lot and it's only gonna get worse. I tried being zen about it and 'accepting myself,' but visualizing myself as a totally bald dude seems to be overriding the buddha in me.

And yeah, I wouldn't risk it with some sketchy online pharmacy or anything. I'll go through CVS or something like that so it will be legit. But it's good to know that generics are an option if propecia itself is too pricey.

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could recommend where I could buy 1mg finastride in Australia from a reputable I have discontinued using Ashley & Martin hair clinic as found their programme to expensive to obtain finastride & minoxidil.

I know many reputable experts have strong opinions on this issue.

I'm starting to freak out, so my plan is to start alternating, since taking fin EOD seems alright it sounds like a safe plan and I'll still be saving money. Shooting for every third day!

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't give you the technical answer but from personal experience - Finistaride works amazing. I also had an A+ FUE procedure and therefore trust my Doctor's advice, he said taking Finistaride is fine.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

i was on some thai generic finasteride then i switched to Teva finasteride and had a massive hair loss. I guess Teva has more active ingridient in tablets that thai fin . So not all generics are the same, i guess