First shampooing after FUE

Hi everyone. First post on the forum, glad to be here.

Firstly apologies, no doubt my below question will have been asked previously.

I'm currently on day 13 post op FUE after 2500 grafts on my frontal zone.

Tomorrow (day 14 post op) I will be shampooing my recipient area for the first time, as per the instructions from my surgery.

I still have quite a few scabs, and was wondering if it's okay to shampoo them and how to go about it. I don't want to damage or upset anything up there.

I plan on using baby shampoo for the next couple of weeks.

I look forward to your advice, best regards

J

Dr. Bernstein found that after Day 8, the grafts are a permanent part of the scalp when he tried to pull them out in his study. That said, I'd still be gentle since you have so many scabs. I had no scabs at all and scabs are the best way to dislodge a graft. I'd obviously follow your doctor's procedures to a tee.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

As mentioned above, after the the critical 9-10 day postop milestone you're all set and shouldn't worry much about losing grafts at this stage.

There are many ways to do it, but what I do is soak my head in a warm bath for around 20 minutes then use a gentle shampoo or cream to gently massage in round circles the scabs and crusting away.

Just don't pick or pluck at the scabs when they're dry and hard !

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thankyou both for your comments.

So the way to go about it is gently, check.

Unfortunately bathing is out the question today due to a faulty tub!

However, I was thinking maybe getting the scalp moist and hopefully soften the scabs up by using a spray bottle for 10-15 minutes with warm water and then go about the shampooing? Can you see any problems with this method?

Thanks again

J

Hello Doctor,

I was instructed to wait 14 days before washing my recipient area (which is today)

Earlier, I did my first wash. I was as gentle as possible, using warm water and baby shampoo.

A few small scabs washed off and now my frontal area looks a little clearer.

I also noticed some larger scabs fall out with hair in them, I've read this is normal. Hopefully nothing more sinister.

Some of the scabs are still quite hard so I left them be, I will wash again the same tomorrow.

Best regards,

J

I'm trying to recall my HT post-op instructions. I believe that by day 14 post op it is desirable for the scabs to have come off. On the days when I could first apply a cup of water it was to rinse off blood residue. But when I could also massage the scalp I'd touch the scabs and move them around gently. This would help them shed.

After a certain point - and other's can jump in here with the correct info - it's detrimental to keep scabs on after a certain point after the surgery.

Hello AB,

Thankyou for your input.

I have just had my second wash on my frontal zone (recipient) and removed quite a few more scabs which is good news. A few (not all) did contain some strands of hair. Is this something normal?

Best regards,

J

Hello AB,

Thankyou for your input.

I have just had my second wash on my frontal zone (recipient) and removed quite a few more scabs which is good news. A few (not all) did contain some strands of hair. Is this something normal?

I haven't noticed accounts of this from other people who've had a HT, but in my two surgeries at the DermHair Clinic I purchased minoxidil in oil form, a four months supply each time. The purpose of this was to keep the recipient area moist and not dry, while administering the medication.

Before the point I could start washing the scalp I was applying this oil. That in part helped to loosen the scabs, as it also moisturized the scabs as well and soften them up.. Once I could start using a cup of water in the shower, I would continue to gently press and massage the scabs. By about 10 days out these were gone.

I can recall a few times when I'd push a scab off, and looked at it, that there was a follicle attached. However there was nothing attached at the bottom to indicate that the root/bulb of the graft was removed also, leading me to think that I didn't lose the work done.

Not long after the scabs were gone, starting two weeks out, the transplanted hair would noticeably start falling out. I'd pat dry my hair and see some follicles in the towel.

I've lost a few grafts, but these were immediately post op, the day or two after, when I had a bandanna on and one or two might stick to it when I removed it. This was because at this point post-op the scalp was still oozing and could cause a graft to stick to fabric.

The key to retaining the grafts is to not touch the area with much force. After my first HT this meant using a neck pillow for months because I had grafts added to the crown and temple areas and had to make sure I wasn't rolling around when asleep.

Edited by AB2000