How Many Men Actually Treat Their Hair Loss?

TheGman

Sometimes I wonder if taking my meds is making me part of the chosen ones. Or if it's all a big joke and everyone is secretely on DUT + RU.

It seems that 90% of the newcomers have that "anything but finasteride" approach. In my opinion, you are not treating your MPB without anti-androgens. But still, how many guys who share our curse are using effective medication according to you guys?How many just let themselves go?

My guess is that most men remain in denial until a combover is no longer possible, and then half of them try to do something. On this half, another half tries snake oil crap and fucking shampoos, thinking they will get away with it.

I'd guess about a third of men eventually get on FIN. How many stick with it enough to get their destiny back is another question.

How about transplants?

Edited by TheGman

My guess would be a very, very, small fraction of balding men ever have a hair transplant. I would think a larger group may at some time at least try Minoxidil and/or Propecia, but most balding men reluctantly just accept their fate and for a variety of reasons end up basically doing nothing over the long term.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Personally i wouldn't go near fin or minoxidi ,l tried minox once gave me heavy bags under the eyes looked 10 years older so knocked that on the headI had a transplant which I'm more than happy with ,

most guys associate hair transplants with big bucks something celebs and rich guys do, and of course in the UK that's true ,it's also about having balls a lot of guys would be too scared to travel somewhere like turkey where they can get a transplantt for a reasonable price, no one likes going bald but most guys accept it and move on with their lives ,it's debatable how many would have one even if they were properly informed

To me it looks like very few are trying minoxidil now, its widely accepted that it doesnt work on its own, after 9-12 months virtually all minoxidil users have to admit to themselves that it was a waste of money. Finasteride had a major setback in popularity when it was discontinued for alopecia in some countries after the permanent erectile dysfunction reports, combined with its limited ability to regrow lost hair and reduced effect over time, the halt in hairloss is temporary for many Fin users, it could be a good thing that fewer are using it, people prefer permanent solutions.

It looks like Dut is the last good hope for most balding people who dont care enough to cash out for expensive surgery, maybe its best to advice newcomers to go directly to Dut, after 5 years on Fin the hair could be so thin that Dut no longer has any chance to work well but some people who went straight to Dut hasnt had any thinning at all for 6-10 years and counting. Dut was almost impossible to obtain 10 years ago, the situation has since changed a lot, Dut should be the default go-to already.

I suppose that many men have been told that hair loss is normal or not treatable. Demographic and economic factors have major influences in the overall statistics.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the comments and e-mails I get on my site from men suffering from MPB, my sense is that there are a lot of men who just aren't aware that treatments exist. The strength of feeling is definitely there, however. To a large extent men have been brought up to expect hair loss, so the possibility of treating it often doesn't even enter the equation. For those that are searching for a solution, however, the desperation and despair is very real and the number of treatments they have tried is often staggering.