Should I be concerned with this strip suture line ?

Hi guys , first time poster.

Had a strip surgery done about ten weeks ago. I am starting to see some nice growth starting on the top but suture line does not seem to have improved at all. The only way I have been sort of able to camouflage it is by letting my hear grow longish in the back.

Today I was feeling a little brave and asked my barber for a number four guard in the back. When I saw how the back looked after the haircut I had a mini freakout.

My doctor is a dermalogical surgeon who specializes in hair transplants. He came highly recommended and seems to have al the credentials.

I called his office today to ask if what I was seeing was normal and the nurse assured me that it was. She explained to me that the suture line area takes at least 3 months until the hair starts to grow back.

What is weird is when I go on youtube to check on other HT results the back suture area looks completely fine after one month in some cases on some individuals.

I am really starting to feel insecure about this smiley face on the back of my head.

I have included a picture.

Thank you all.

IMG_1240.JPG.657672664cdea47f1da46b71bd5affa0.JPG

Dermatch will hide the scar fairly well. Your overall density appears a little low overall and I was wondering if you hair is wet in the photo?

Normally, the layer of hair just above the strip is at least three inches in length which would potentially drop over the sutures to hide them post-op. Sort of works like a window shade if you know what I mean.

The length of your hair was too short to accomplish this and why the scar is so evident.

Congrats on your recent procedure....;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You will probably need at least 2 inches of hair length to adequately hide the scar so it all depends on how fast your hair grows.

On average, hair grows at approximately 1/2 inch per month.

You may also try to use some cream highly enriched with aloe vera which will greatly help reduce the redness and the scar itself will be less visible.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Thanks........I think what we are seeing is hair that is missing above and below the scar ( incision line ) I thought this was a result of the procedure ( Shock loss , trauma etc )

Since the skin is pinched together, surgeon told me hair will grow right above and right below incision...........Im not looking as much for the drape effect as i am actual growth right next to scar.

If I always wore my hair this length I assume the appearance would improve over time without the drape effect ?

I had a very similar situation. if you look in my history i even posted pics of it and was just as concerned as you were. it took about 4-5 months, but eventually it healed itself and is now virtually unnoticeable, either wet or dry. cheers

I had a very similar situation. if you look in my history i even posted pics of it and was just as concerned as you were. it took about 4-5 months, but eventually it healed itself and is now virtually unnoticeable, either wet or dry. cheers

Thanks,

How short do you wear your hair in the back ?

I'm guessing that's pretty much a result of shock loss . Give it a month or 2 and it should resolve itself .Was a tricho closure used on the incision line ?

I had some shock loss after my procedure but sorted itself out fine . I get a no.3 cut at the sides now and it's not visible at all . I reckon I could do a no. 2 and it would still be invisible .

Just had a hair cut literally 20 mins ago - if I get a chance I'll post a pic .

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I believe a tricho closure was used. I went into this as a total rookie not even knowing what a tricho closure was at the time.

I remember the nurse and doc telling me that they close the incision in a way that hair will grow through it. I will call on Monday and ask just to be sure.

In the mean time, here are a few more close up pics of the problem areas.

IMG_1255.JPG.853b938a413311e65ac7d37a7d158e5e.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG.30c4db4f9a4e1a6bc88b25a8fe2764f2.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG.2aee0063cf6b0395ff738e6e925698ef.JPG

Edited by pucheject

pucheject,

The appearance of the scar will greatly improve once the redness and inflammation dissipates...;)

Gillenator

it looks very normal to me especially since your hair is wet and cut short, the FUT scar will only get better and more un-noticeable with time, but to definitely fully disguise it, you should keep your hair just a tad longer on the back that what you might be used to - that's just a harsh reality of going FUT vs. FUE - continue to heal and grow well ...

It must look better when the hair is dry.

Gillenator

Your donor area should continue to thicken back up as well as time goes by. I had FUE, so I didn't have to worry about the strip scar. However, for the first several months, I felt I had the "moth eaten" look in the donor area if I cut my hair too short. Eventually though as time passed, my donor density increased and it's gotten to the point where I don't even worry about how short I cut my hair on the sides/back anymore. I've even gone down to a 2 and the shadow/moth effect is no longer an issue.

Give it time and it should all improve - and congrats on the procedure!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56