Chasing shock loss.

Very hard to get an answer on this & I really need one.

I'm 45 years old. Have had some HT work to improve my hairline over the past 12 years. Taking fin, minox, llt, ionil t shampoo & hairloss has basically been stable for the past 10-12 years. Up til now surgery was all about improvements but the last tiny touch up hit me with perm shock loss 3 inches away from the area of work. Has been 12 months now & I'm pretty sure it is as good as it is going to get without further work.

The thing is, I am all too aware of how risky it could be. I have consulted with three doc's & been quoted from between 150 grafts to 1000 grafts to do that job. It is only a narrow gap between the transplanted & native hair in the left temporal region but it hurts me really badly although I'm sure to the rest of the world it is barely noticeable.

Can something like this be safely fixed or am I likely to be embarking on a game of chasie all over my scalp? Is it better to go for the smallest job possible, or do extra & transplant into existing hair to compensate for possible additional shock loss? Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

That's a really tough one to answer . Sorry to hear you got permanent shock loss . Did you mention in your consultations about the risk of further shock loss ? How many grafts were placed in the last surgery that resulted in the shock loss .

Problem is , is it worth taking the risk and potentially suffering further permanent shock loss ?

I asked about further shock loss in all consultations. One Dr said Thymosin Beta 4 would help prevent that risk.

Believe it or not, 31 grafts to correct a tiny spot in the front of my hairline caused this - 3 inches away in the left temporal/forelock area.

I asked about further shock loss in all consultations. One Dr said Thymosin Beta 4 would help prevent that risk.

Believe it or not, 31 grafts to correct a tiny spot in the front of my hairline caused this - 3 inches away in the left temporal/forelock area.

Is it possible we Can see a picture of This shockloss? Maybe it would make it easier to understand if we see how bad it is?

Shock is just a small gap between the transplanted hair at the front & native at the back. Have been quoted between 150 to 1000 grafts by three different surgeons.

Well i Can see it for sure.

Strange that it happend.

I find it hard to say that small area will need upto 1k grafts to be honest.

more like 200 / 500 grafts tops.

If it was me I would take a chance on a small session, chances are it be a success in the right Drs hand.

• Administrators

Mikey given your previous issues, if you decide to have surgery, go to a doctor that can measure the miniaturization percentage on your scalp, if its very miniaturized theres a high possibility a small procedure will likely end up looking worse, you may need to consider transplanting more grafts to make up for shock loss and future hair loss.

Finding a surgeon who is able to dense pack is important because if the surgeon can dense pack he/she is aware of not placing the grafts to close to native hairs creating trauma. Dense packing is a skill especially where theres alot of native hairs good luck bro.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It is such a hard decision and I am really hurting. Has been going on for over a year now & I feel paralyzed...just don't know what to do. I have seen three HT doc's in addition to my original surgeon & they all say different things.

31 grafts to the centre/front of my hairline did this damage. I should have been done but I suspect my Dr wanted more work? The psychological & emotional trauma it has caused me is hard to write in words. Thanks for the support.

Good advice from Ontop and HTsoon .

It's really strange that the shock loss happened a fair distance from the transplant , but you do come across similar cases every now and then .

Best of luck and keep us updated if you can .

Hi HTSoon.

I thought Dense packing would add to scalp trauma and if anything contribute to more shock loss? The surgeon i am leaning towards is recommending 30 grafts per sq centimetre. He thinks around 150 grafts should be enough???

• Administrators
Hi HTSoon.

I thought Dense packing would add to scalp trauma and if anything contribute to more shock loss? The surgeon i am leaning towards is recommending 30 grafts per sq centimetre. He thinks around 150 grafts should be enough???

Hi Mikey, i'm not saying he/she should dense pack on you, it's just that surgeons who can dense pack a hairline, are able to work with a lot of hair in one area without damaging surrounding follicles, so it would be beneficial to have a surgeon that possesses those skills work on you. Have you tried to put concealers? if they look good it might be worth while to stick with that rather than risk shock loss, but I definitely sympathize with you since I know if I were in your shoes it would drive me crazy too.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.