I could use some help selecting a surgeon

Long time lurker here...ready to dive in to a HT this summer. I've been reading these boards for years and I'm finally at the point where I'm financially and psychologically ready to take the plunge.

Without getting off track with my backstory, I'm 35, and my hair loss has been stable for the past 10 years or so. I've been on the big 3 for the past 6 years, and as I said, I'm just holding steady at a NW4-5.

Last week I had back-to-back consultations with Sara Wasserbauer and H & W (they were in SF).

I heard basically the same thing from both reps (as I didn't speak to either of the actual surgeons, common knowledge to most of you I'm sure...it wasn't to me). I'm a good candidate with a good donor area, stable loss, and a good age to do an HT.

There were things I heard from both that made me a little apprehensive about my selection, and that takes me to this post.

I am 1000% set on FUE. Wasserbauer is a relative unknown on most boards, but I don't believe I have seen a negative review of her anywhere. H&W is H&W...enough said...but again I'm looking at FUE, and their rep is largely based on FUT.

I am thinking I owe it to myself to also consider doing a consultation (online perhaps...I could use some guidance here) with Dr. Ron Shapiro in MN. Considering I want an FUE and I will not travel to Europe, what do you all think?

My rationale is that I am essentially hearing similar things from the different shops, and this will all come down to the Dr's rep and proven results. Is there anyone in North America that I "NEED" to talk to before making decision?

I don't know how representatives are viewed here, and how private pricing is, so I won't get into that aspect in the thread...if you have a question about what I was told that made me apprehensive I would be happy to take it "off the air" so to speak.

Sorry for the long-winded question, but...well you guys know how it is.

Love the board...I hope you all know how invaluable this place is

Diep is solid. PM HTSoon.

Stay away from unknowns. For real, there's just too many great surgeons out there to run the risk.

You need" not restrict yourself to location for such an important decision, but considering your affinity for the pac northwest, you need to contact Dr. Gabel in Portland. He's tremendous. http://www.gabelcenter.com/

Talk to Spidey about his result with H_W for FUE too. Tiny procedure but clean nice work by Hasson.

I will look into Dr. Diep, thanks. I hope I wasn't giving the impression that I "had" to stay in the Pacific NW...Shapiro is in MN, and H&W in Canada (Western technically)...yeah Wasserbauer was a matter of convenience although she does appear solid. Trust me there are others that I won't even consider. With the exception of Europe, I'm open to travel, and trying to not get held up on price.

I genuinely appreciate the recommendations guys...thank you.

Sorry missed part of that. Yeah Dr. Ron great. If you head that way for a consult also speak with Konior In Chicago. FUE will of course be more expensive in the states than in Europe, but great docs worthy of speaking to.

Consider the short flight to Colorado and visiting Dr. Jim Harris in Denver. He is one of the leaders in the industry (he won the worldwide award for excellence in the field in 2014) and is an absolute master.

No consultants either, which I loved. You get to talk directly with Dr. Harris after he does his evaluation and he does all of the heavy lifting himself during the surgery. I have no skin in the game - I'm just a very happy patient of his!

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Why won't you travel to Europe? Lorenzo, Feriduni, and Erdogan are three of the best FUE guys on the planet, and will be much cheaper than getting FUE in North America, even after you factor into flights and hotels.

For North America, look into Ron Shapiro, Konior, and Rahal.

Why won't you travel to Europe? Lorenzo, Feriduni, and Erdogan are three of the best FUE guys on the planet, and will be much cheaper than getting FUE in North America, even after you factor into flights and hotels.

For North America, look into Ron Shapiro, Konior, and Rahal.

Fair question...

My reasons, which you're free to disagree with, are:

I have a 10 month old daughter that I neither want to be away from for a week (which would be the case for years to come), nor do I want to drag her to Europe for this.

I think that there are docs in the U.S. that get fantastic results, enough so that I don't feel as though I am settling for someone with their skill level.

I would be worried that if I needed follow-up care or "fixes" that they would just be out of reach in a reasonable time frame.

While saving some money would be nice...it's not my main concern here.

Again, you can think that these aren't good enough reasons...but they are what they are.

Thank you for the rec's on docs in North America as well :)

Your hair loss in your original post sounds a lot like me. I had a mega-session done in 2012 (5,125 grafts). My hair loss had stabilized in my mid-thirties. I had great donor areas as well. Also, you are correct, this forum is great for consultation questions and searching for a doctor. Make sure you you're comfortable with the doctor and the process. All of the extractions and insertions was done by the doctor. The technician assisted with graft preparations, etc. Great results for $5 per graft. I'm glad you are choosing FUE. I have absolutely no visible scarring in my donor areas (see blog pics). You can see more pictures at my blog .... MyFUEhairtransplant.com Good luck to you.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

SMRcalidiv,

Just keep researching until you are absolutely clear and decided. Hair transplant surgery is always there and not disappearing anytime soon so take your time.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Great recommendations and advice all around here. I agree with what Chrisdav said in that you need to do your research (which you're doing) until you're certain you found the doctor that is right for you. There is no "one size fits all" answer to these sort of things, and I personally think that when choosing between a relatively small list of really fantastic surgeons, it ultimately comes down to trusting your gut and making the decision that feels the best to you. Research, get a list together, ask questions, narrow down the list, ask more questions, etc. Eventually, you'll know what to do and what feels right.

And if you have questions about my experience with Dr. Mohebi (or just specific questions about HT in general) let me know. Best of luck!

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Screen a surgeon thoroughly. Evaluate the surgeons surgical protocol. Ask who will be doing what aspects of the procedure and how much experience various folks (if any) have.

A surgeon should carefully evaluate your scalp via scientic tools and no eye guessing. Not only that, ask them what they offer for your safety and customer satisfaction if something goes awry. Will they refund? Will they try to do repeat repair procedures? Will they blame you or have a habit of blaming their patients for physiology and etc.

This is a cut throat industry, pick the one surgeon that does all aspect ethically and for your safety. After all, your coughing up valuable time, money, priceless grafts, your head, your emotions for a very valuable procedure. Surgery is surgery, cosmetic or not. It should be done with the most utmost care and level of perfection. The operation should not be run like a mill but with complete dedication. And please try to see real patients of doctors and not showcase patients. There are reasons a showcase is a showcase.

If you need any help with good questions or things to consider and etc, feel free to send a message and ill gladly give my time to help. Best of luck.

I also want to add that it's always a great idea to ask to speak to former patients. If a clinic is hesitant to do this, I would be skeptical. A reputable clinic should be able to put you in touch with former patients whose hair loss profile is very similar to yours. I spoke to a former patient of Dr. Mohebi's before I had my procedure, and hearing his firsthand account of his procedure was extremely helpful and informative and went a long way in calming my pre-procedure nerves.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

If you go with Dr. Ron you will not be disappointed, as i am a former patient of his from a strip surgery going about 9 years now. I have always felt Dr. Ron and the whole staff at SMG treat me more as a person than a patient or a customer. The ethical high standard they have is unmatched in my opinion from their SMP to their HT's. I dont get paid by them in any way shape or form but just am forever grateful for their treatment of me and obviously the results i have received from them. Good luck on your search!

You only live once...