Finasteride forever?

Etownone

After like 14 years, I gave up minoxidil a couple years ago, and paid the price. Definitely lost a lot in my crown area. Just the hassle especially with applying dermmatch was just too much. I do regret it now but not going back on it either.

I was also on finasteride for same amount of time, 14 years, but my insurance stopped covering the cost so I gave that up too.

I can tell the difference, not only have I lost hair in my crown Area, but hair now is just thin and not healthy anymore.

Just had another FUD last week and Thinking about starting finasteride again. Just damn.... That's a life long commitment. And I'm 40 now. Surely side effects and prolonged use as you get older have to play a role for health concerns.

Finasteride.... Yes or no. ?

I'm on it and plant to be until something else comes along. Did you stop fin a couple years ago too?

I don't really think about it much, even though I probably should. I smoked for a long time too, knew it was bad, still did it and didn't get anything from it. I really doubt fin is as bad as smoking is, and I get something out of it. So, I try not to let it bother me. I know that is a passive way to look at it, but that is what I do.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'm on it and plant to be until something else comes along. Did you stop fin a couple years ago too?

I don't really think about it much, even though I probably should. I smoked for a long time too, knew it was bad, still did it and didn't get anything from it. I really doubt fin is as bad as smoking is, and I get something out of it. So, I try not to let it bother me. I know that is a passive way to look at it, but that is what I do.

And yes, I stopped Fin too a couple years ago. Just debating to myself if I want to make a lifelong commitment to Fin again.

Good luck with the smoking... I enjoyed it plenty knowing it was bad for me too. But, quit when I turned 40 last July.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the meds.

I wanted to hear from people who have had meds, hair transplant, smp and treatments for a long time.

I wonder if you would have alot of dht to affect your hair now that your 40?

I thought most aggressive hair loss is between 20 and 30 years of age?

Not sure you know this but you can get 5mg fin at walmart for cheap

I pay something like $9 for 30 cut them up in 4pcs which is 1.25 per a day...90 tabs will last me 1 yr for $27.00 ...& more if you decide to take every other day like most.

so there is no reason to through your insurance & pay silly prices.

Upto you though fella.

good luck

Target also sells it super cheap as well if you hate Wal-Mart as much as I do. (I can't help it).

Same set up... $9 or so for 30 of the 5mgs, cut into 4 pieces, lasts 4 months. Bada bing bada boom. :cool:

And I also just take the pill and try not to think about it too much. I'm still very much in the early stages of taking it though, relatively speaking. (I've been on it for about a year and a half now). I've not experienced any side effects, so I just keep on doing what I'm doing. I feel like my hair fall has decreased quite a bit, so that makes me feel like it's working.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

After my first hair transplant I started finasteride and minoxidil. I kept it up for a long time but eventually quite the fin for various reasons that I've discussed in the past. A few months later I had become inconsistent with minoxidil and eventually stopped using it as well. Over time I noticed a decrease in density.

I restarted both drugs about a year ago after my third HT and I feel that I regained quite a bit of hair. My hair now feels fuller. Of course, I also had a few grafts placed in my crown so that is adding to the effect as well. However, I'm confident enough that this stuff is working that I also plan to keep using it unitl a better solution comes along.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Whether or not to get back on Propecia is a decision you will have to make on your own. There is a risk of side effects both short-term and long-term. Everybody is different and you will have to decide whether the risk is worth it for yourself. I will say however, that you will most likely not regain the hair you lost after stopping it's use the first time. However, you may be able to slow down or stop further hair loss from progressing by restarting its use.

Personally, I stopped taking it over a year ago just because I didn't like the idea of being on medication for the rest of my life. I did run the risk of losing additional hair below the crown area which was the only area Propecia may have been saving. The area was already fin when I started taking the medication and to date it's not anything other than it was in 2007. But everybody is different.

I hope this helps.

Bill

hmmm..... to start it up again or not. decisions decisions...

i didnt know i could get it super cheap at target or walmart. i definitely have to look into that. so .. thx.

Dr Dorin gave me the prescription....

but to take this for the rest of my life.

Would you be comfortable with an additional procedure if that was the trade-of for not taking meds? It might be. Its a personal decision.

i had my first procedure in 08, FUT

and finally came around and had my 2nd procedure last week. FUT only in the front area

and doing a 3rd one in October FUE to cover the crown.

hmmm..... to start it up again or not. decisions decisions...

i didnt know i could get it super cheap at target or walmart. i definitely have to look into that. so .. thx.

Dr Dorin gave me the prescription....

but to take this for the rest of my life.

If your not sure you want to get back on Fin thats fine its a personal choice.

You could at least get o. A supplement called folligain which is a cocktail of all different natural ingredients such as biotin, zink, & also a DHT blocker amongst other goodies.

Now I cant say this will grow your hair nor be stronger than Fin or Min but it will help to make your hair & scalp feel & look healthy.

just food for thought if you wanna research it.

good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
If your not sure you want to get back on Fin thats fine its a personal choice.

You could at least get o. A supplement called folligain which is a cocktail of all different natural ingredients such as biotin, zink, & also a DHT blocker amongst other goodies.

Now I cant say this will grow your hair nor be stronger than Fin or Min but it will help to make your hair & scalp feel & look healthy.

just food for thought if you wanna research it.

good luck.

Thanks...

I actually went with the fin from Target. $60 for 3 months supply of 1mg. I know I could of got the 5mg much cheaper and then have to break down the tabs but.... Nahhhhhh. I'm not beat.

And I'm also taking that supplement, Biotin, now too.

You have to be careful what supplements etc you take they can have a severe effect on the liver.

Fin and monox long term, cost and side effects concern, I wouldn't carry on unless I see very good results