Adios Hair System! Tricopigmentation Result

This client had been wearing a hair system for 20 years. The results pictured are after three passes of temporary Scalp Micropigmentation/Tricopigmentation. He is scheduled for one more pass to add further density and address areas on the sides and back.

14kbkw8.jpg

16gepth.jpg

65swoo.jpg

2wdqbd3.jpg

***POST-picture taken outside with a few days growth

v5em4n.jpg

2d78two.jpg

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I find it really curious how even the illusion of hair can change a person's look. But it's really their own outlook that counts.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

It's obvious that there is a nice improvement with scout micro pigmentation. Ultimately, is the perception of th patient that matters the most. What this look accomplishes is that it makes it look like the patient is sporting a shaved head by choice and could at any time grow a full head of hair. The alternative shows a completely bald top of the scalp and anybody who sees hair on the sides and back and not on top will know that he's bald and shave the sides and back because he has to in order to make it all one length.

Personally, I think I would use scalp micropigmentation as a filler or in the scar but this is certainly an option for people who like sporting the shape look while making it appear that it's their choice

Best wishes,

Bill

A very good effort. I just have two issues;

1) it would look more realistic if the sides were shaved shorter

2) I think the hairline is slightly over ambitious.

However I'm sure the patient is more than happy with the result and this is all that matters at the end of the day

Excellent work. He must be over the moon!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi All,

Thanks for the nice words!

Dutchie, this client was rated as a NW6-7 which costs $2400.

Nestsky,

1) it would look more realistic if the sides were shaved shorter

Yes, I advised he should shave down closer but I think he is still adjusting to the look. He told me he will try it for our next photo shoot, though.

2) I think the hairline is slightly over ambitious.

We actually started out much more conservative but there were two issues relating back to his hair system. First, he wore his hair system combed forward so it actually extended beyond that tan line you see. He wanted the SMP hairline to be almost as aggressive as that. Secondly, working beyond the tan line was essential to this result not looking like a helmet. It presented a bit of a challenge. I did advise this client to even out his scalp by getting some sun, but he was understandably anxious to get the procedure done.

3)However I'm sure the patient is more than happy with the result and this is all that matters at the end of the day.

I think if you saw him without his face blocked you would have a different viewpoint and agree that the hairline looks very appropriate on him. And yes, you are correct that he is quite happy! Thanks!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I wonder who is not suitable for SMP ?

I ask this as the hair on my sides and back grows quick and i still have a fair bit so to have the shave look would require alot of constant shaving.

Then as a filler i don't see myself suitable for that as i have more hair loss on some parts of my scalp then others.

Fantastic improvement. Great point that Netsky brought up (and you addressed) about it how it would look even better with the sides shaved shorter. Regardless, he probably has to feel so free to be rid of the hair system.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I know quite a lot of you favour tricopigmentation on here (semi permanent) but i really don't get it, I get people are nervous about getting smp done but why would you choose to have something that you have to have redone roughly every year when there is a more permanent version available, which would still need touchups over the years, to be honest almost every tricopigmentation result posted on here it looks like they have been done with brown ink, a shaved head would not be brown, it would be either black or a lighter version which would look grey.

Like this image you can clearly see the treated area looks brown and his real hair is grey looking. It also needs lot more density to get rid of the horseshoe, Just my 2 cents

65swoo.thumb.jpg.ba2fd384fd393f9774791e821e61e052.jpg

Hi Aston,

Thanks for checking out my work and for the honest feedback.

I use temporary pigments because I prefer to give my clients the option to have the work disappear organically if they change their minds. It gives them flexibility with hairline options as they age. It also eliminates the stress of worrying what might happen to the pigments over time.

To address your critiques of this particular result:

"....to be honest almost every tricopigmentation result posted on here it looks like they have been done with brown ink, a shaved head would not be brown, it would be either black or a lighter version which would look grey."

You are correct, hair shaved down, including brown hair, usually takes on a blackish or grayish hue. We do use a medium brown as the base for all cases. The brown can then be made darker or lighter in intensity. However, once the pigment is injected, much like a shaved head, it does take on more of an ashy appearance. Now the case presented in this thread was immediate post-SMP. The pigment will darken. There is also some redness present which can skew the perception of color. I have posted several more aged results up close that should illustrate my point, such as these:

mkaxw9.jpg

332tmpk.jpg

10cojkh.jpg

2ccp4x3.jpg

Clearly you can see the color match between stubble and SMP is pretty spot on.

"It also needs lot more density to get rid of the horseshoe..."

I stated in the first posting that this client was returning for one more pass to address density, particularly in the crown. Understand that this client was a slick bald NW6 who wore a hair system for 20 years. His top scalp was very white compared to his sides and back. He also had a very heavy donor "fringe." These factors presented a challenge. Here are some other clients who I believe I effectively eliminated the "horseshoe" on:

2i06b92.jpg

jq1egz.jpg

2vcyq87.jpg

fw5ef8.jpg

mueu04.jpg

Can I ask a question ?

In your opinion how does skin tone affect the realism of your procedure ? It seems to me white people with fair skin are the most challenging ? I am white but my skin tone is certainy not pale and when I've been in the sun my skin tone looks olive/Mediterranean does this help or hinder me ?

Any other information on how the sun affects the procedure ?

Hi Netsky,

That is a great question!

Darker skin is certainly easier to work on because there is less of a contrast between scalp and pigment. The dots almost have more of a shading effect with darker-toned skin. With very pale skin, and on a high NW slick bald head, more work is required for the result to have the proper density. I feel we do a great job of achieving realism on all skin types, though. In fact I'm compiling stories now from clients who fooled others with their temporary SMP. These clients are also available to speak with anyone interested.

Great point made about the greyish colour etc never thought of that nor did any clinic even mention that to me. Shows you know your field well.

As a filler is the person required to shave the hair off or is it done with the hair grown?

I would like to see pictures of anyone who has had a hair transplant for the front and smp for the crown.

Thanks for the reply Ahead ink, That would make sense of giving the client the option of letting the ink disappear organically if the permanent version was actually permeant but its not, you still need touch-ups every 3-5 years with the permeant version, so really the people that get permeant instead still have the same option but the touch-ups would just be less often than with tricopigmentation, thats why i don't get why people would choose if given the choose of having touch-ups every year as opposed to every 3 years.

"It also eliminates the stress of worrying what might happen to the pigments over time"

This would seem to imply that if you go with the permeant version you have to worry that the ink will change colour over time, but it is pretty well established that this is not the case and it will not change colour unless you went to some dodgy tattoo parlour that uses normal tattoo ink, to me clinics that offer tricopigmentation use this sentence to potentially scare clients away from having the permeant version where in reality they would not have any problems if they went to a decent clinic that offers the permeant version.

The other examples you posted above to show the horseshoe on other clients all seem to have issues, either more density needed/brown looking or more blended needed, I don't mean to come across as too critical but I see better results from quite a few clinics that offer the permeant version.

Saying that it's a personal choice and some clients will prefer tricopigmentation over permanent, i just don't see the advantages.

"The pemanent is permanent in the sense that... it will never dissapear. Temporary. It totally dissapears.."

Spot on Slimzy. It's an important distinction.

Sorry not true the permeant version is not a tattoo, it softens over time and will eventually disappear thats why you need touch-ups over the years, you say it disappears as if its a positive, why would you want your hair loss solution to disappear, they both fade over time, tricopigmentation just fades a lot quicker

Can you please show an example of a permanent smp to have dissapeared? I would think it's a bit silly to be called permanent if it doesn't. I would go for temporary myself. . As I wouldn't want to have the same hairline for the rest of my life. So would be able to change it as time goes by..

Sorry I'm not an smp company just someone interested in it so i wouldn't have a database of clients pics that have faded away treatments, why would every permanent smp company in the world say you will need a touch-up every couple of years? it's because it fades! just slower than tricopigmentation.

I would go for permanent 100% don't fancy having to have it redone every year, the whole point of having something done is so you can forget about hair loss.

Permanent would fade in the sense that the dots no longer look sharp. But the colour remains. Touch ups are to keep having the dots looks more detailed/fine. Any ink injected into the skin will inevitably diffuse over time ie lose its sharpness.. because of the characteristics of how skin ages vs the ink properties itself.

Can you please tell me where you get the idea that permanent smp totally disappears? I think you may have the wrong idea.

No definitely not mistaken, here is one example, completely gone after one year and the guys complaining because it has faded, which is exactly would would happen if you had tricopigmentation.

Before you do it, please read. 1 year after with pics. - SMP Common Room - HIS Hair Clinic

Even if it didn't disappear permanent would still be a better option, as you say the only advantage of tricopigmentation is that you could change the hairline when you want it to look more receded, which could easily be done with laser to remove the small part of the hairline, you wouldn't want the rest of the top to fade anyway other wise you would be forever going back to have it touched up and paying more money.

The example you have given is an exception...

It's simple mate. Permanent is designed go stay pretty much for life (although there may be exceptions were it doesnt) then there is temporary where it's designedto totally dissapear with 2 years (again.. although there may be exceptions).

Anythint behaving or doing other than intended... is a malfunction. (Not what intended). Not sure why you're trying to mix them up. If you like the idea of one over the other great. They both have their advantages and disadvantages..

Once again Slimzy, you're spot on my friend! Either way SMP is a great option for a lot of guys and, much like with hair transplants, there's a lot more great work out there thankfully than there used to be. But you still need to be super careful as there are also plenty of people doing terrible work, and you really don't want to have laser removal done to remove it. Just do your homework, and consider all the possible outcomes. Later!