Receding hairline...do you think I will get progressively balder or am I just "maturing"

I'm 21 years old and am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with my hair. I notice a more prominent receding line since my younger years, but have thus far been comforting myself by saying it is natural hair recession from maturation and nothing more. However, I don't like being dishonest with myself. Do you guys think I'm on the path to balding? Here are some pics of my hair combed back and hairline exposed...

Front shots...

hair8.jpg

hair3.jpg

hair4.jpg

hair5.jpg

Right side shots...

hair7.jpg

hair2.jpg

Left side shots...

hair6.jpg

hair1.jpg

Any suggested methods of improving my hairline?

i honestly dont think your balding yet bro(if you are its only a miniscule amount), im not saying this to make you feel better but your hair looks great, take a step back and think im only young once and enjoy your youth buddy if you start to bald later in life then address it when the time comes dude, but i know lots of people on here would kill for that hairline pal honest it looks great brushed back. good luck with whatever you decide to do icon_smile.gif

best wishes bn

2 poor very poor UK ht's

2 world class repairs with Shapiro Medical Group

original thread

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...d.php?t=134995

Dr Paul's procedure http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1710

Dr Ron's procedure

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1128

The last picture is a little iffy, but overall you are simply experiencing maturation of the hairline,, if you are concerned see a dermatologist and get on finasteride, the sooner the better, IF you are thinning you can impede and slow its progress by years with finasteride.

Worst case scenario is that you have minor recession in the temples, a little beyond mature hairline status but scarcely noticeable.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thanks for the input guys...

I need to make an appointment with my dermatologist anyway, so I will discuss my hairline with him when I do this.

Thanks again!

Randy, do you have MPB running in your family?

By the way, the last thing you want to hear is these "you're gonna be o.k." answers from friends, family and doctors. Refuse these answers and get the facts straight.

The earlier you start meds, the better the results. Proven fact.

The amount of time, hair, money, emotions, opportunities, you can save by starting meds at the first signs of MPB is tremendous. Huge.

In my opinion, I think you passed the stage of mature hairline to early MPB damages.

Good luck

I agree that it looks like the start of MPB. However, as of today you still have a very nice head of hair. I also think that you should see a physician and consider using propecia. Just hope that you are not in the 10% that it does not work for.

dude are you using my photos lol?

my hairline was exactly like yours and i went on rogaine in 2003 and proscar for the past 3 yrs,

the loss has stop everywhere for the moment and I went to Dr Feller who did over 2000 grafts in my hairline and 3 months on my hairline is filling in nicely and early as well as most people see no hair growth til after the 3 month mark so looking forward to the continuous growth

I would say go on rogaine and proscar and see a doctor about your hairline as using these 2 products wil slow/stop the loss but they rarely work to restore the hairline...

working on my blog with photos as I write this..

good luck!

Originally posted by hairdoyle:

dude are you using my photos lol?

my hairline was exactly like yours and i went on rogaine in 2003 and proscar for the past 3 yrs,

the loss has stop everywhere for the moment and I went to Dr Feller who did over 2000 grafts in my hairline and 3 months on my hairline is filling in nicely and early as well as most people see no hair growth til after the 3 month mark so looking forward to the continuous growth

I would say go on rogaine and proscar and see a doctor about your hairline as using these 2 products wil slow/stop the loss but they rarely work to restore the hairline...

working on my blog with photos as I write this..

good luck!

Did you get grafts while your hairline looked similar to mine or after it got worse?

Originally posted by SERIOUS:

Randy, do you have MPB running in your family?

By the way, the last thing you want to hear is these "you're gonna be o.k." answers from friends, family and doctors. Refuse these answers and get the facts straight.

The earlier you start meds, the better the results. Proven fact.

The amount of time, hair, money, emotions, opportunities, you can save by starting meds at the first signs of MPB is tremendous. Huge.

In my opinion, I think you passed the stage of mature hairline to early MPB damages.

Good luck

My dad has a decent head of hair and he's reached the age of 60 now, but I can definitely notice a bad hairline on his head. Much like me, he has thick hair, just a bad hairline that recedes around the temple area. I mean...if I end up like him I guess I'm fortunate since he's maintained decent hair for his age. But for me at 21, I am not satisfied at all.

Also, I agree and am open to the fact that it could be early MPB. However, I am reluctant to take medication. I hate taking medicine and am worried about potentially harmful side effects although I admit I am pretty ignorant on hair restoration treatment. Should I go to my dermatologist to determine treatment?

MPB is unpredictable. You could end up like your father... or maybe like your grand-grand-grand-grand-grand father that looked like a bowling ball and that you never saw because photographic devices didn't exist.

Since you're not satisfied with your hairline as it is now at 21, I would monitor your MPB progression very closely. Yes I would go to a dermatologist and get a second and a third opinion from other derms / docs if you realize the guy doesn't know much about MPB specifically. Nowadays with the internet and access to information, ordinary folks are sometimes more aware about some health matters than some docs that got a diploma 25 years ago.

As for treatments, let's keep in mind that we're the first generation in history to have access to treatments that actually work at slowing (even stopping) MPB for a majority of people. In that sense, we're very lucky. The most important factor with meds is consistency. Just take it or apply it once a day, it becomes an easy routine like brushing your teeth. You could consider finasteride every other day for a start. Minoxidil, even at the temple, can help a great deal also. But I would suggest to continue your research to make a wise decision.

Good luck

Well i won't pussy foot around with my opinion looking at pics 5 & 7 and being only 21 i'd say get ready for the wonders of MPB.

Like these guys have said try the drugs and read up on ht's.

Hope for the best PLAN for the worst.

Originally posted by hairdoyle:

Randy,

I would say I was the same maybe slightly finer around the front but I am 31 yrs....

So far the results 3 months on are going to plan...

get on the rogaine and proscar A.S.A.P!

Well hairdoyle I may take the same route as you...

I'm going to speak with my dermatologist and see what he has to say. I also made a consultation appointment with Dr. Feller...I am lucky enough to live very close to one of his offices in Great Neck, NY. I'll get their opinions and take it from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Randy,

Please trust me on this one. Stay away from an HT doc that would recomend a HT at this point. Your hair looks great! I had two HT's and I have not had a hat off since. Granted it's only been 4.5 months since my second HT, but even if things work out for me I would never, if I had your hairline go forward at this point.

First, you are extremely too young,and once you start a HT you are making a lifelong commitment. At 21 your barely legal. You have way to much to lose--shock loss, scarring, obvious looking transplant, etc.. and not much to gain at this point. Assuming the best case scenario is you get excellent growth, Well that won't be for a year. And I think you would be a fool to live under a hat at 21 for a minimum of 6 months when you already have a great head of hair. TRUST ME GO ON MEDS FOR NOW.

One of two things are going to happen your MPB will accelerate extremely fast in the next couple of years in which case you would have donor hair upfront and be bald behind it. In other words, it's much to early for a HT. Or, it will stabilize in which case I would not sacrifice the scar and loss of sensation to the back of my head for a minor cosmetic improvement. Randy, I'm talking from experience here. WAIT

At 21 it may be the first stages of MPB. Hard to say because some people just recede a bit and then it stops while others like myself continue to thin as we age. for now , see a doctor and keep tabs on the progression

you still have a lot of hair

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 5 years later...