I was told my goals were unrealistic

You're welcome Kevin. I think that sounds like a solid plan. Thinking about your hair loss too much is never a good thing. I think most men with a Norwood 6 pattern can expect a result similar to what Chris from Vancouver got. Yes, he has thin hair but also slightly wavy, which really added that extra touch to his result, especially in the front. Of course, in the mid scalp and crown, he has little hair. This is why I mentioned hair systems as an alternative. You should check it out, at least.

Hair system is just a fancy word for wig, rug, etc. But the tech has come a long way. Let me know if you would like me to PM you some good websites similar to this one but with a focus on hair systems.

Cheers!

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you'd be disappointed with Chris's result, I'm afraid you'd be disappointed. I think the majority of men who are Norwood 6 should look to acheive his result because it's what is achievable in most cases. Even my own case is not normal, prior to having surgery I looked at this guy Sam B on YouTube, his result was something I'd be happy with, it's far from perfect but it was a compromise I was willing to accept. The fact that my restoration has far exceeded my expectations is just the cherry on the top. But I was mentally prepared for a much lesser outcome and I actually expected it. Like the expression goes "hope for the best prepare for the worst", this is a good way to look at things to prepare yourself mentally.

Absolutely agreed. That's why I'd rather consult with a few surgeons in person than speculate on a message board or through e-mails consultations any further.

Yes, KevinC, that's where i left my case while still keeping in mind all the advice and opinions given by everyone, all good.

Remember if you wait 1 year it will take another year to grow after the ht.

Just to mention when i was 29 years my falling had almost been done but then in the past few years i'm thinning much more and can see much more scalp then at 29 years now 35 years heading for norwood7, God knows when.

People are different so i'm sure you will get the best advice as you are consulting with the best doctors.

How many more grafts can they get with fut over fue ?

Also the fut scar is always a concern and smp is temporary.

P.S. Since getting into all this hair stuff i've been looking at peoples head much more and i think i understood which type are best suited for ht but that said it can still be done or worth the risk and money if you really want to give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevin. I feel your pain! I was a NW 7 for many years. As others have shared, it is important to have realistic expectations but it is possible to achieve a significant cosmetic improvement even with advanced hair loss. I had two surgeries and though I'll never had a full head of fair, the 5000 grafts I did receive made a dramatic difference. Just another data point for you as you do your research. Good luck!

Hi Kevin. I feel your pain! I was a NW 7 for many years. As others have shared, it is important to have realistic expectations but it is possible to achieve a significant cosmetic improvement even with advanced hair loss. I had two surgeries and though I'll never had a full head of fair, the 5000 grafts I did receive made a dramatic difference. Just another data point for you as you do your research. Good luck!

Biz, you did have a great transformation.

You look great.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The quality of hair in your donor is EVERYTHING. You look to have a finer caliber of hair so you need a ton more grafts than the normal person (who has normal caliber hair or even coarse hair) to get where you want to be. The pics of the Italian guy who received 5k grafts is not something to base a decision on....Italians normally have thicker hair. 5k grafts on someone with thick donor hair would cover A LOT....probably would take 7k to 8k on someone with fine hair to achieve a similar result. If you ask enough doctors, someone will take your case on. However, Dr. K was honest with you.....you can't ask for much more.

The good thing is beard, chest hair, etc. transplants are getting better it seems in terms of growth. If I were you, get on Propecia now and see what it does for you in a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Dutchie, don't recall my hair diameter. I do remember Dr. Gabel tempering my expectations because of my fine hair and low density. Spanker, thank you for the compliment. Kevin, I wish you the best in your search. The network here is a treasure trove of info...happy hunting!

After reading this entire thread, I'm impressed with the resolve and logical thinking. Waiting things out, continuing research, and of course saving more money is the best thing to do. However, I also believe that doing everything non-surgical that is possible to fight continued hair loss and to potentially thicken any miniaturized hairs should be the priority. An assessment today could be drastically different after a full year of medical therapy so I think you should keep the in person assessments to the end of your one year of research because regardless of what the doctors may say you will most likely continue with medical therapy to prevent even more hair loss in the future. By then, you'll know what works medically, and you'll know where you stand surgically which will dictate how you move forward.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

After reading this entire thread, I'm impressed with the resolve and logical thinking. Waiting things out, continuing research, and of course saving more money is the best thing to do. However, I also believe that doing everything non-surgical that is possible to fight continued hair loss and to potentially thicken any miniaturized hairs should be the priority. An assessment today could be drastically different after a full year of medical therapy so I think you should keep the in person assessments to the end of your one year of research because regardless of what the doctors may say you will most likely continue with medical therapy to prevent even more hair loss in the future. By then, you'll know what works medically, and you'll know where you stand surgically which will dictate how you move forward.

In my case i was just letting it get to whatever stage it would then try and go for hair transplant. My hair was thinning and every time i looked in the mirror i could see more and more scalp.

Recently I gave monoxidil and other non surgical treatments a try.

I thought whatever result i get, if any, would be good and if not i would stop.

To my surprise i got very good result within 2 months everyone is different so i continued and added med in as well.

Now i'm looking in the mirror and it's like i got toppik in my head i mean there are alot of small hairs i think i caught the miniaturized hairs and i can see less scalp. My normal hair have become more thicker and healthy looking.

So for now i'm continuing with the treatments.