I was told my goals were unrealistic

That's very true. I know his case is extraordinary, but these guys have a vast list of Norwood IV-VI so if anyone can do the work it's those two.

No hair loss meds. If I like what I hear from H&W and they advise me to jump on them then I will.

Just playing the waiting game, but I don't like my odds.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of what has been said here if that if you are looking for a full head of hair then you are best not proceeding as you will only be left disappointed. The patient that you linked to who had over 8000 grafts in one sitting had incredible laxity and density off the charts not been repeated again. This is our single largest session.

I know your case has been discussed and I understand my colleague will be reaching out to you.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I am on the realistic side of the spectrum after understanding more about the hair transplantation process.

On the other hand, H&W are absolute quality so I felt I would be doing myself a disservice to not reach out to them.

You have received some very good advice, it's been interesting reading this thread. Everyone seems to agree on one thing - and that is realistic expectations. I hope you are able to have a procedure. I know it's hard to accept that you'll never have 'a full head of hair', but with a conservative hairline placement and careful planning by an experienced surgeon, you could still have a pretty good transformation.

Try not to get disheartened. You really have had excellent advice here, even though it was not what you wanted to hear - you needed to hear it.

Definitely keep us posted on what different clinics advise you to do

Best of luck

This is our single largest session
There is an Italian patient that received just under 9200 grafts in one session. He is a very happy with his result but moved on and doesn't want to share his photos. I saw him in Rome last year and he looks great.

hw9168_002.jpg.0d5dc7a2170a133d1b1782a8ec20b5e6.jpg

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Yes, I needed to hear these things, but I also didn't understand there are a finite amount of grafts as well as why the donor site is the major source as opposed to other areas.

Understanding the limitations of the surgery and correcting my naivete have been very beneficial, and I am glad this community has so many well-informed people on it.

Since I seem to have representatives of H&W on the line do they ever pull from beard for additional coverage? I have plenty of beard hair hahaha.

There is an Italian patient that received just under 9200 grafts in one session. He is a very happy with his result but moved on and doesn't want to share his photos. I saw him in Rome last year and he looks great.

Wow! I wonder what he will look like with all his hair.

I am glad to hear that you have done your research on what is possible and have adjusted your expectations. Beard hair can be used although most will agree that it should be used as a filler among scalp hair.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

How many grafts will you need and is it fut or fue?

Also when donor is limited can beard hair be used to cover large areas and for future loss ?

It's H & W so it's FUT. No clue on the grafts needed because that is dependent on many different factors.

From what I read beard hair is possible, but you'll have to find a specialized surgeon for that.

I had a tentative August date set up at H&W and I've thought long and hard about it.

I think I am going to delay surgery until May the next year because I will be better off financially -- I am in graduate school for pharmacy and I plan to do a one year residency. If I could save up money for the procedure and then finance it without interest until I am making the big bucks it would be a wise move rather than jumping all in. It will also give me time to improve my credit.

I am; however, worried about the scar (I am highly active and don't want a large scar on my head). I figured if after multiple surgeries I exhaust everything potential graft I have I would do SMP to cover it no harm no foul, but it is still a concern.

What I am absolutely most worried about is paying a $15,000 plus to go from pretty much bald to balding -- what would the point of that even be? I didn't have straw thin hair (it's been a while), but I know it wasn't the thickest either. I know H&W do great, great work, especially for big baldies like me, but it is still a concern. I may fly to Vancouver next year and do an in-house consultation after doing a lot of scalp laxity exercises to assess how many grafts they think they can extract and what they can do from it.

To end this long tangent, I think I am going to play with Minoxidil 5% and if there are any successful adjunct therapies (laser comb and cap - do these work?) and assess a year's worth of progress. If I find these treatments do help or I get a good consultation at H&W, I'll be more willing to take the plunge.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I, of course, would want to do multiple sessions for the best end-product, but I am hesitant to commit until I know what's possible

Edited by KevinC

Smp can improve a scar but won't completely hide it of your hair is super short. You should plan on wearing your hair at a grade 5 and anything less is gravy. That is a good expectation to have in order to no be disappointed.

It seems like you have learned a lot in a short time, and I would spend the next year doing research.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Kevin the best thing you can do is come to Vancouver for a consult before you make a decision. This would give both you and the clinic a better idea of what to expect. I know it take a bit of money and effort to come to Vancouver but this is an important decision and you need to be fully confident that you are making the right decision concerning your hairloss.

Vancouver is a beautiful city and many people that come for consult make it a bit of a mini holiday and usually come with friends or family.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

I'm impressed with what I've seen from SMP in scar hiding.

Problem is is for guys like me is I'd have to wear my hair shorter to make it look natural. That is, unless, I can get a great first procedure followed up by further density work.

I'm willing to commit to multiple surgeries, and in some way, I feel lucky because I feel I could do multiple surgeries without worry of future hair loss. It's not like I have that much left to lose! haha

Kevin the best thing you can do is come to Vancouver for a consult before you make a decision. This would give both you and the clinic a better idea of what to expect. I know it take a bit of money and effort to come to Vancouver but this is an important decision and you need to be fully confident that you are making the right decision concerning your hairloss.

Vancouver is a beautiful city and many people that come for consult make it a bit of a mini holiday and usually come with friends or family.

A plane ride for $400 and a couple days in a beautiful city is worth it to me to know what I could receive from the two best FUT surgeons around.

At worst I got a vacation, but I saved a lot of money and time from not going through with a procedure. At best, I went on vacation, I crossed my t's and dotted my i's, and H&W can kick some serious ass for me.

Win-win either way :)

No offense but reading this thread you are all over the place in your decision making. The smartest thing you have said is that you would wait a year and think about it. You should still do this and don't let any clinic sway you on surgery. Laser caps will do nothing for your amount of loss. There are tons of clinics that will tell you they can do surgery . You were told your expectations were unrealistic by one of if not the most respected and ethical doctors on the planet. Hair transplants are simple it's a matter of supply and demand. If you don't have the supply to meet the demand no doctor can change this. No hurt in consulting but you should chose at least five doctors to see in person and compare what they say. Not trying to be a downer but I don't want to see you make a mistake.

You must define your expectations and ensure that you would be happy with a thinning head of hair, especially in the vertex/crown area. Remember that high density crown restoration is extremely rare for a Norwood 6. You will essentially go from being bald to balding. You've got a huge area to cover, and you're only 29 years old. Remember that hair loss is progressive. What baldness pattern does your dad have? Other family members?

In addition, are you emotionally prepared to deal with a failed surgery? When these large FUT mega sessions work, they work very well (especially for someone with good characteristics). However, no-one wants to be that guy who had a 5000 graft mega session that didn't grow well. With a 30-35 cm long strip scar that you now have to hide (someone mentioned a guard 5, everything else is gravy, I agree).

Unless you can really ratchet down your expectations significantly, I would think long and hard before diving into the life-long commitment that hair restoration surgery may entail for someone with a lot of hair loss at an already young age:

Open crown

Strip scar

Balding appearance

Bald crown (certainly balding if lucky)

Future hair loss

Poor growth

Unnatural appearance (should your hair loss continue)

Are you based in the U.S.? Have you considered visiting Dr. Konior or Dr. Ron Shapiro in person?

Finally, have you considered getting a high quality hair system? I am a fan and it may be an option to consider. Good luck.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

No offense but reading this thread you are all over the place in your decision making. The smartest thing you have said is that you would wait a year and think about it. You should still do this and don't let any clinic sway you on surgery. Laser caps will do nothing for your amount of loss. There are tons of clinics that will tell you they can do surgery . You were told your expectations were unrealistic by one of if not the most respected and ethical doctors on the planet. Hair transplants are simple it's a matter of supply and demand. If you don't have the supply to meet the demand no doctor can change this. No hurt in consulting but you should chose at least five doctors to see in person and compare what they say. Not trying to be a downer but I don't want to see you make a mistake.

No offense but I'm not sure you've actually read this thread at all. A top doctor said he was skeptical while a top clinic said they would take my case because they thought they could really help me. Furthermore, I have gotten a few other consultations from predominantly FUT surgeons in the Midwest area who would also take my case. I specifically mention H&W because I like their work best, and I think it would behoove me to see them in person before making a commitment. I think I've got rational thinking on lock.

Thank you for explaining how hair transplants work! It's not because of that whole supply and demand thing that is making me wonder if adjunct therapy, like Rogaine or the laser cap, could potentially be helpful making the decision to get a hair transplant that much easier.

Delancey, you hit the nail on the head with everything that's been running through my mind these days. H&W have a lot of amazing work out there for guys in my condition, but it's not always a homerun. The odds of failure are much higher in my case. I'm not too worried about future hair loss given the fact most of it is gone.

I am close to Konior and Shaprio and it would be smart to consult with them in person as well. I'm not optimistic, but hey, why not?

What do you mean by high quality hair system?

Thanks for the reply

Kevin

I was just about to reply with similar comments to Delancey. A full head of hair - even the illusion of a full head of hair - is probably not going to be achieved. So, then, is it worth it? Spending $20 - $30 - $40k of your money. Lord knows how much of your time and worry. To achieve a result you might not be happy with (and bear in mind I think the most difficult thing to convey on here, or in person, is what your expectations actually are - they vary significantly).

That said, if you want to pursue it, or at least want to get a better idea of what is possible, then I reckon you're looking in the right direction. Get an in-person consultation with H&W, and maybe the others near you. You can get a feel for how many grafts you've got in the bank, how far they will go and over how many procedures. It's also worth thinking about your hair loss progressing further - those lateral humps might not be there forever - and how that might be prevented (meds) and how it might impact future procedures.

Then it's a question of how much all of what you've been told is achievable matches your expectation and if, to you, it is worth doing.

(I suspect at the end of all that, you'll end up with a plan to get a very conservative hairline, with a focus on the front third... and after that, seeing how far the grafts will take you).

Good luck buddy.

PS. hair system = wig.

Newbie, you and I are in accord.

I have really liked the results I've seen from Shapiro and H&W for guys like me -- I know the ones advertised are the homerun patients, though. Recently, I stumbled across a vlog on youtube from a guy named Chris from Vancouver who was Norwood 7 and did FUT. He is happy with his hair and the result, he does look better, but I know I'd be disappointed if I spent that much money and my result was similar to his. Granted, he admits he has really thin hair and he's happy with how he looks which at the end of the day is what matters. Now, if he had the ability to do another surgery to add density, I'm sure I'd be less skeptical about my own condition. Everyone's a critic/beggars and choosers/to each his own etc. .

Strangely, I am not sure I could do a wig.

I think I'm going to sign off for a bit and may update in the summer after my consultations - I am spending too much time thinking about this and finals are right around the corner. Thanks to everyone who had a poignant response as well as the supportive private messages. I respect and appreciate all the expertise and advice. These really helped me understand the surgery, technology, limitations, and expectations

• Administrators
Newbie, you and I are in accord.

I have really liked the results I've seen from Shapiro and H&W for guys like me -- I know the ones advertised are the homerun patients, though. Recently, I stumbled across a vlog on youtube from a guy named Chris from Vancouver who was Norwood 7 and did FUT. He is happy with his hair and the result, he does look better, but I know I'd be disappointed if I spent that much money and my result was similar to his. Granted, he admits he has really thin hair and he's happy with how he looks which at the end of the day is what matters. Now, if he had the ability to do another surgery to add density, I'm sure I'd be less skeptical about my own condition. Everyone's a critic/beggars and choosers/to each his own etc. .

Strangely, I am not sure I could do a wig.

I think I'm going to sign off for a bit and may update in the summer after my consultations - I am spending too much time thinking about this and finals are right around the corner. Thanks to everyone who had a poignant response as well as the supportive private messages. I respect and appreciate all the expertise and advice. These really helped me understand the surgery, technology, limitations, and expectations

If you'd be disappointed with Chris's result, I'm afraid you'd be disappointed. I think the majority of men who are Norwood 6 should look to acheive his result because it's what is achievable in most cases. Even my own case is not normal, prior to having surgery I looked at this guy Sam B on YouTube, his result was something I'd be happy with, it's far from perfect but it was a compromise I was willing to accept. The fact that my restoration has far exceeded my expectations is just the cherry on the top. But I was mentally prepared for a much lesser outcome and I actually expected it. Like the expression goes "hope for the best prepare for the worst", this is a good way to look at things to prepare yourself mentally.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.