Dr. James Vogel - 4200 grafts to forelock and mid scalp

I think it looks rather thin for 4k grafts. Specially given the combover effect which again makes it look thicker than it is.

I am of the same opinion that for 4K grafts even though from front it is asthetically okay, the thickness could have been better.

Again to each his own -- opinion.

I think it looks rather thin for 4k grafts. Specially given the combover effect which again makes it look thicker than it is.

I am of the same opinion that for 4K grafts even though from front it is asthetically okay, the thickness could have been better.

Another dissenter ? GET OUT !

:)

• Administrators

I agree with Eserc 4,000 grafts provides different coverage and density for different patients. We all have different head sizes donor characteristics, I'd say the majority of Norwood 6 guys are not going to get good density with only 4,000 grafts, the majority of men will need at least 6,000 without touching the crown and 8,000 with the crown. I think these results are respectable for the area that was covered, take in to account the hair diameter looks thin and hair is straight. Unfortunately, this gentleman does not have favorable donor characteristics but given what he had to work with its a good result.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree, but 4k is pretty standard for the minimum required for a frontal 1/2 restoration on a NW5 and his hair looks pretty fine (compared to the stellar results that we're used to seeing posted). I'm not sure if the actual density is below par.

• 6 months later...

It's a solid result. I think the issue with your logic, gbhscot, is that nobody really knows how their result is going to turn out. Some men would get a better cosmetic result than this, others perhaps even less cosmetically acceptable. You won't know until you pull the trigger - as it happens I think this is an almost perfect representation of the "average" result somewhere around 4,000 grafts will get you - not absolutely stellar but a very, very appreciable and improved cosmetic difference. This guy had significant hairloss, there wasn't really any native hair to blend into and if you've got 100cm+ of pretty much bald scalp to work into (I'd say it's at least that), you're somewhat limited.

This gentleman probably still has another 2 - 3,000 left in the bank by strip and/or FUE. Another procedure to beef up the hairline and perhaps thicken the mid-scalp would go a long way. And there's always concealers or other cosmetics if you want a little fuller look. As it is I don't think he needs further work - this procedure has been planned well. There's possibly scope for more but it stands by itself.

I think sometimes forums can give a slightly skewed sense of what is a "successful" HT. For 4,200 I would say this represents pretty much what a lot of men with that level of loss could hope to expect.

• 7 months later...