6 Months Post Op - Illusions And Uneven Growth

I am just days away from 6 months post op and my mind is playing tricks on me again...

First off... the work I had done was on the hairline and temples. There is no question that I have had growth, but I am unsure about the yield at this point.

Sometimes I look in the mirror and think the growth has been very substantial. Other times I look in the mirror and I think the density is really lacking.

From early on... the right temple had been growing faster than the left. Under the right light... I can still see many hairs coming in on the right temple, but I am not seeing much activity on the left.

Of course, this concerns me as the left side was my primary focus from the beginning. With the graph placement, The left side should be slightly lower than the right, but right now the opposite seems to be true.

I know 6 months is still early in the game, but I have read that often 90% of the graphs are growing by 6 months. Any thoughts?

I would not say that at 6 months post-op that 90% of the regrowth has taken place but we all do respond differently.

I think you will see considerable improvement over the next 3 months so let us know how things go.

Got any before and current photos to judge your progress?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you for the reply. I understand. I am most concerned about the uneven growth and this left temple area. If I am really only at 50% or so... I should be in good shape.

Just hope this left temple evens out with the right. I have heard of uneven growth, but I don't know how common it is at almost 6 months out. Grow baby!

Hey Born2Shine. We are own worst critic and find major fault in minor detail. Updated pics would be great so we can see how you are travelling and verify if the difference between left and right is overly noticeable. Either way, 6 months is still early. Keep us posted. :)

Thanks ersko72. It is really hard to see with the photos because my loss was minimal. After I shower, I have a pretty defined hairline when my hair is wet.

It is crazy how different lighting makes such a huge difference in the appearance when you look in the mirror. Surely... I am not the only one that experiences this.

I guess when I had this done, I was expecting my temples to fill in and it would make styling my hair very simple. I would just slick it back with some product and it would look great. However... that is still not the case.

I guess I am just not sure what to expect at this stage (near 6 months). I wish I could drop by the doctors office and get a consult to see if he thinks I am on track. Maybe that would ease my mind a bit.

I was even thinking about getting a consult with another doctor so he could break out the magnifying glass and inspect everything. Not sure if that would work out or not.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I'll be 5 months post-op next week and I'm also noticing uneven growth in the temples. My hairloss was somewhat minimal, mostly receded hairline and like you said, hairline looks very defined when out of the shower but my left temple is lagging in growth/density.

Good luck with the growth, I still believe 6 months is relatively early. Another half a year for some growth and much maturation to come.

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

Same story after 6 months, i hate the hairline cuz it is so defined but sometimes the hair look good and full in mirror

And under certain light and in video looks so ugly and almost bald, even i cannot look to myself

This is crazy thing hope it will get better

They say at six months post op that you are only at approximately 60% growth. That includes majority of the hair that's growing. Hair off and grows at different times and uneven growth is very typical. Moreover, some hair will mature faster than others in which case, while some hair still looks colorless and straggly, other there will be normal color and full length.

I know it's discouraging, but rest of shored that this is very normal and be confident in the fact that you're seeing all kinds of growth. That in itself is showing that your transplant is successful and that it will continue to mature over the next 6 to 12 months.

If you want even more specific feedback, I suggest posting your pictures. It would also help if you post new pictures each month so that we all can follow your progress.

Best wishes and happy growing,

Bill

Visiting another doctor may help but it really is best practice to go back to your original doctor to get his or her opinion on what is going on. Aside from that you should try to understand that this is a process and no two people will have identical results at the same time in their recovery. You have a lot of time to go before you can say you have your final result so try to be patient and I'm sure that improvements will be seen.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

Same thing here, but my rightside is lagging. Just relax. Dont fall for the BS you see on google. 6 months is PRIME for uneven growth. my leftside has exploded recently and my right side is lagging significantly. this seems to be more common than uncommon for ppl who have it placed in their hairline.

evualting anything before 9 months seems like a waste of time. too much growth happens between 4-9 months to even start making judgements anywhere in that timeline. once youve reach 9 months, you should be able to make a more reasonable forecast.

Thank you for the replies... I posted some photos in the results from patients forum. Would be great to get some feedback.

Those of you that have had procedures done in the past... what percentage of growth do you think you had at 6 months? Did you get significant growth after that point?