Ready to do this!!! Opinions between docs.

jrsmith28

I live in the Northeast GA area. I am close to Atlanta and 4 hr drive from Charlotte.

I am considering Dr Griffin, Dr Cooley, and just saw that Dr Mwambe has a GA office possibly.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations? Fue or Fut?

I have been researching for years and am ready to finally pull the trigger.

I live real close to you and have talked with Griffin and Cooley.

I have also consulted with many other surgeons over the years.

I was deciding between Ron Shapiro and Cooley.

What Cooley said really struck home with me and so finally after all these years I have decided to go back for repair work.

From a hair result perspective, I really believe FUT is the better alternative, but depending on your baldness pattern, and your desires FUE might be a good choice for you.

Make sure this is something you really want, because once you enter this realm your committed. There are a lot of great looking bald headed men out there, you could be one of them.

Good Luck in you decision.

Edited by David - Moderator

Agreed with Esrec. If you are limited by geographical location and/or finances then this is not something you should even be thinking about, as it appears you are approximately early to mid-thirties. You have a lot of life left and you will continue to lose hair and continue to require additional surgeries. I base that opinion on your photo which appears to be a very common genetic based pattern of hair loss.

Regarding FUE vs. FUT there is a lot of research and forum discussions you need to read. Just because FUE is newer does not make it better, but for many people I could see why it would be a better option. It just depends on what you are looking for and what your expectations are for your results.

Bottomline, you need to expand your horizons as far as who you trust with this procedure. No comment on the three docs you mentioned, but I would caution someone of being limited to their geographical location.

judging at your profile pic, id say it would be hard pressed to get a satisfactory result with FUE, id be researching the best FUT who does megasessions - you look like you're in the 6000+ range

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Definitely consult with Dr Cooley. He is highly ethical and will tell you where you are headed for future loss. He will not operate on you if he thinks it's not the best thing for you. He is way underrated and is one of the best in my opinion. If you are not on meds I would try them see if you get sides how they work before considering surgery. There are clearly a bunch of doctors out there that will operate on anybody for the money Dr Cooley isn't one of them. He will do what's best for you.

• Administrators

Don't limit yourself by geography go for results and consistency, with that said, it's hard to gauge your pattern, you have high sides, but it does appear like the crown has miniaturization that reaches far down, it also appears you have some retrograde alopecia at the nape, this is actually very common amongst high Norwoods, there is a small probability you may become a hybrid Norwood 6/7, what I mean is that your crown and nape may reach as far as a Norwood 7 but your sides will probably remain high like a Norwood 6.

Anyhow, since your 33/34 you may reach a point in which you may have to inevitably shave your head as the hairloss and donor supply become unbalanced, in which case I would say FUE would be easiest to conceal, however, you'll get more grafts FUT, and there will be less chance it would be out of the safe zone. Goodlucj with whatever you choose.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

he's more than a NW3 - NW5 headed to NW7 - with a really low density donor area - 6000 yes over 2 sessions

but i doubt he has any more than FUE 2500 in that donor area, looks like he's been over harvested with 5000 FUE gone already and the fact he keeps his hair really short which removes FUT out of the equation, Im unsure how good a candidate for HT he is. Blake would be a better judge

the side images do look a lot better, i retract my 6000 estimate and bring it down to 4500,

Thank you all!!! I'm getting more info on this thread than I have from meeting with docs!

I would RATHER let my hair grow out...it just looks really funny with the front receding. I also have a big head which doesn't help. I wouldn't mind the scar from FUT as long as I wouldn't have to shave again. I'll attach an image a little more grown out.

Either way, I have decided that I do not look good at all bald or shaved. I wear a hat constantly anyways. I don't think the self consciousness could get any worse even with a scar. I just want a hair line without this big long widows peak.

I'm definitely leaning towards Cooley. I'm going to set up a consult today.

IMG_0777.JPG.54aeb73ab52590585579e76c1b535161.JPG

• Administrators
Thank you all!!! I'm getting more info on this thread than I have from meeting with docs!

I would RATHER let my hair grow out...it just looks really funny with the front receding. I also have a big head which doesn't help. I wouldn't mind the scar from FUT as long as I wouldn't have to shave again. I'll attach an image a little more grown out.

Either way, I have decided that I do not look good at all bald or shaved. I wear a hat constantly anyways. I don't think the self consciousness could get any worse even with a scar. I just want a hair line without this big long widows peak.

I'm definitely leaning towards Cooley. I'm going to set up a consult today.

I can definitely understand not wanting to shave your head, but there may come a time where you have to much bald scalp and not enough grafts to cover it, if this were ever to occur you may want to shave your head instead, however my advice is to build the frontal portion of your scalp with lower density moving back, leaving the crown bald is something you might have to live with, as you get older though, I don't think it'll be as bad, I'd rather have a bald crown than bald front. Good luck and good choice setting up an in person consult.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

I scheduled with Dr. Cooley for mid April!!! Can't wait. I decided to go with FUT and was told I would need around 3000.

It's a weird feeling. After considering this for over 10 years, I finally pulled the trigger and now it's a very nervous/worried feeling of making such a permanent decision. Anyone else go through that? I've hated my head and been depressed about it forever, and now I find myself looking in the mirror asking if I really need it....???? Wth???

I just hope it works out.

If I was you at your young age I would at least try Meds first for 1 or 2 yrs before you commit to surgery.

then see where your at then.

remember if you go down the FUT route then you do know that you wont be able to keep your hair that short right?

I've been on Propecia since I was 19. It has helped a lot. I think I would be completely bald. I typically have my hair longer and don't want to shave it down that low. If I can get away with a 3 or 4 shave I'm good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JR, I recently had my repair procedure with Dr. Cooley and his staff. Just a great experience. The detail, the precision, the professionalism. All top notch!!! I too was nervous and filled with 2nd guessing for the 2 - 3 weeks before. Although I have to wait to see the final results, as hair transplant surgeons and staff goes, I really feel good about my choice. The recovery has been a breeze, no pain medication needed, and I went through much more than you will be. Best of Luck to you, but I don't think you will need it.

JrSmith28,

We look forward to having you with us. We'll take great care of you, I promise!

Chewy,

Thank you for the kind words. We look forward to watching your progress unfold:)

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com