FUT Donor Area Swelling & Pain

I had a procedure done about 6 days ago. Most of the swelling in the recipient are has gone away. However, there is a lot of swelling above the scar still.

Is it too early to be getting alarmed about this?

What is a reasonable amount of time for this swelling to persist?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

WJR

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment , but that would depend on the severity of the symptoms .I'd initially address any concerns to your surgeon .

Also , you should notice a good difference when you get the sutures / staples out at around the 14 day mark.

Why don't you see your HT Doctor in person or at the very least send him some high definition photographs of the concerned area. This may put your mind at rest.

Good luck.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

There is no reason to ask a forum about a matter as pressing as a very recent surgery. You paid a lot of money for the services of a doctor - contact your doctor immediately about any concerns. After all, I'm sure no doctor wants one of their surgical outcomes to turn bad, so give them the chance to insure your health and well-being!

wjr,

The swelling and inflammation certainly can be acute especially in the first week following the procedure. Most clinics will recommending icing the area for 10 minutes on and off. Yet once you get a week or more post-op, the ice packs are not as effective as they are in the first 3-5 days.

Did your clinic provide you any medication or a script for an anti-inflammatory?

The next week or so should bring some relief and try to not do any strenuous activity which could increase pressure to the area and inflame it.

Wish you much relief in the days to come.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you all...

I contacted the doctor and he advised that the swelling is expected and will subside in 2 weeks. Am unable to take pictures that show the swelling as i have not shaved the hair in the donor area. Will update the thread in about 10 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Updating the thread as promised.

The swelling above the scar subsided at end of first week. I still feel numb at all areas above the scar. Am i right in believing that it takes months to heal?

The numbness is the result of endless nerves and blood vessels being severed and yes it does take longer for them to heal and regrow.

Some guys regain the feeling as soon as 4-6 months while others can take up to one year or a tad bit longer.

The rate of healing will vary and why there are differing time frames for it to take place.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY