Hair transplant surgery time changed?

Hi, so I'll start by saying that I'm booked for surgery with a recommended/coalition surgeon from this site.

I was originally booked to start surgery at 9am in the morning, but my appointment time was changed to 2:30 in the afternoon to start with getting blood tests and presumably starting surgery at 3:00pm.

Should I be slightly worried? It makes it sound like the surgeon is operating on 2 people in the same day, or I might end up getting a different surgeon, since it seems like it a lot of work for the same surgeon for one day...

Sorry for the dumb thread, but it's made me slightly worried and paranoid.

Hi, so I'll start by saying that I'm booked for surgery with a recommended/coalition surgeon from this site.

I was originally booked to start surgery at 9am in the morning, but my appointment time was changed to 2:30 in the afternoon to start with getting blood tests and presumably starting surgery at 3:00pm.

Should I be slightly worried? It makes it sound like the surgeon is operating on 2 people in the same day, or I might end up getting a different surgeon, since it seems like it a lot of work for the same surgeon for one day...

Not being funny but why don't you just ask . That is late for a procedure to start , but will partly depend on how many grafts are being done .

How many grafts?

You are going to have to provide a lot more information than what you have provided mate. How many grafts are you going for and is it FUT or FUE? It also depends on the clinic. If you are doing FUT with a clinic like H&W for less than 2,000 grafts, then I think its fine as you should be done by around 8pm. If its an FUE for greater than 2,000 grafts, then its a problem. The only thing to consider is the fact that the clinic may be having a mega-session for greater than 5,000 grafts in the am, so that's why they pushed it. Your concern at that point should be doctor and technician fatigue. You should absolutely call up the clinic and demand to know the reason.

Edited by Stig

Not being funny but why don't you just ask . That is late for a procedure to start , but will partly depend on how many grafts are being done .

I did ask, and they said it's just a different staring time, but I didn't want to ask to much at the risk of sounding kind of rude.

It's about 1500 FUT

Yeah, 1500 grafts should take around 5 hours. I don't think it's rude for you to ask if they are performing a large megasession in the morning. If they are, you are well within your right to enquire whether that will cause fatigue for your procedure, and whether by the time technicians start working on your procedure, how many hours would they have worked that day already. The burden is on the clinic to re-assure you that having your procedure start so late in the day won't adversely impact the result. I know my own work productivity goes down the toilet after lunch. I think you are being way too nice. You are paying top dollars, and if The clinic is not open to those types of questions, then you have selected the wrong surgeon and are better off getting it cancelled and performing more researching. You only have limited number of grafts, so definitely ask the tough questions before you let anyone cut your head.

Edited by Stig

Transhair,

While some clinics perform only a single surgery per day, there are others that perform two. Typically they do a larger session in the morning and schedule a smaller session in the afternoon. this is really not terribly unusual.

There is certainly no harm in opening a discussion with them about this if you're concerned.

Stig,

I have a lot of respect for your contributions to the community but I don't see the point of bringing Dr. Feller into this discussion just to malign him.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi , if memory serves me correct , I recall that u had a FUT last year with Dr. Radha .

Sorry if you were not happy with the outcome , coz its a bit early to jump in a second cut .

I think if i were you i wud have waited a bit longer , like 2-3 years , becoz i believe the trauma is Huge on the scar tissue and say what the surgeon may , It takes a while to heal completely . Not that I am an expert , but sometimes i think common sense wins Hands down.

are u again with Dr. Radha ? and have to continued wit propecia ?

Stig,

Dr. Feller has a long history of providing his patients with outstanding results. If you don't like him personally, that's fine. If you have something relevant to say, by all means say it. However, do not use this or other topics to unfairly malign a highly respected surgeon.

Bill

Fair enough gents. I edited out the hate speech.

I did ask, and they said it's just a different staring time, but I didn't want to ask to much at the risk of sounding kind of rude.

It's about 1500 FUT

Maybe try asking them to re-schedule for another day where you would be starting first thing in the morning?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi , if memory serves me correct , I recall that u had a FUT last year with Dr. Radha .

Sorry if you were not happy with the outcome , coz its a bit early to jump in a second cut .

I think if i were you i wud have waited a bit longer , like 2-3 years , becoz i believe the trauma is Huge on the scar tissue and say what the surgeon may , It takes a while to heal completely . Not that I am an expert , but sometimes i think common sense wins Hands down.

are u again with Dr. Radha ? and have to continued wit propecia ?

Hi, I had decided against Dr Radha for the second surgery. Not anything about her as a surgeon,which apart from the result was positive, but during my stay I had got Travelers Diarrhea and the only food I ate was the food from an apparently 5 star Hotel (The Park, Visakhapatnam). And the idea of staying up all night on the toilet while leaning over and vomiting into the bathtub for 6 hours straight didn't seem like an experience I was willing to have again. I feel like my illness during the recovery period might have had a large part in the poor result.

Also I'll be about 1 year 9 months post op by the time I get my second surgery, which I'd consider a long enough time since the first, since hair loss has more or less completely ruined my life and I'd like to not have to rely on concealers for the very little time I really spend outside my house or work anymore.

And Gillenator, I'll definitely consider that, but my surgery date is very close, on the 1st of February and I'm not sure if they'd have any free dates left. I'll definitely try to ask though. Just need to find a way to not sound like I'm arguing, since I don't want to ruin the surgeon/patient relationship before I even head out for the procedure.

Since I don't think I'm really saying anything negative about them right now, I'll just say that I'm booked with FUT with DHT clinic in Thailand, due to seeing 2 very good (and recent) FUT results on another not HT forum. I had also had a very positive experience in Thailand + had an in person consult around 9 months ago, so I know I can have an easier recovery period there.

Yeah that does seem strange, I know I had a procedure for around 1500 from 8am to 6pm (with a small consultation, hairline drawing, paper filling and breaks in between, etc) but for FUE, I'm not sure how much quicker is FUT for that amount though

Hi, I had decided against Dr Radha for the second surgery. Not anything about her as a surgeon,which apart from the result was positive, but during my stay I had got Travelers Diarrhea and the only food I ate was the food from an apparently 5 star Hotel (The Park, Visakhapatnam). And the idea of staying up all night on the toilet while leaning over and vomiting into the bathtub for 6 hours straight didn't seem like an experience I was willing to have again. I feel like my illness during the recovery period might have had a large part in the poor result.

Also I'll be about 1 year 9 months post op by the time I get my second surgery, which I'd consider a long enough time since the first, since hair loss has more or less completely ruined my life and I'd like to not have to rely on concealers for the very little time I really spend outside my house or work anymore.

And Gillenator, I'll definitely consider that, but my surgery date is very close, on the 1st of February and I'm not sure if they'd have any free dates left. I'll definitely try to ask though. Just need to find a way to not sound like I'm arguing, since I don't want to ruin the surgeon/patient relationship before I even head out for the procedure.

Since I don't think I'm really saying anything negative about them right now, I'll just say that I'm booked with FUT with DHT clinic in Thailand, due to seeing 2 very good (and recent) FUT results on another not HT forum. I had also had a very positive experience in Thailand + had an in person consult around 9 months ago, so I know I can have an easier recovery period there.

Good luck for the procedure mate! You are way too nice not wanting to engage your surgeon with the tough questions. I still think you are gravely mistaken as to your right to ask them, but respect the fact that you do not want to strain the patient/Doctor relationship. All the best to you!