Dangers of Unlicensed Technicians Performing Hair Transplantation

While hair transplantation is a team effort and typically includes the work of not only a skilled and experienced surgeon, but trained technicians / nurses as well, there are many clinics that employ unlicensed and/or inexperienced technicians to perform most or even all of a hair transplant procedure. Meanwhile, a physician is only employed as a formality for legal purposes.

I've spoken to many hair transplant surgeons recommended by this community who have expressed concerns about this practice because it is potentially detrimental to the patients. Frankly, I share these concerns.

You are encouraged to read the Q&A Blog article we just wrote/published regarding the "Dangers of Unlicensed Technicians Performing Hair Transplant Surgery" and then share your thoughts on this topic.

What do you think? Who would you rather have perform your hair transplant?

• Administrators

I will add, that there are some recommended physicians who engage in this type of behavior, I think as a community, we shouldn't recommend any physician who is not willing to create 100% of the recipient sites, as this requires in depth knowledge of follicular anatomy that technicians are not educated on angle, direction, placement, these are vital and key parts of the transplantation process that should be done by the surgeon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I will add, that there are some recommended physicians who engage in this type of behavior, I think as a community, we shouldn't recommend any physician who is not willing to create 100% of the recipient sites, as this requires in depth knowledge of follicular anatomy that technicians are not educated on angle, direction, placement, these are vital and key parts of the transplantation process that should be done by the surgeon.

HTsoon, i have to say This. Your ht looks Amazing on your profile picture. Compared to where you were it is incredibul.

Did you suffer shockloss in native hairs in

Your HT ? And did they grow back? And after how long?

• Administrators
HTsoon, i have to say This. Your ht looks Amazing on your profile picture. Compared to where you were it is incredibul.

Did you suffer shockloss in native hairs in

Your HT ? And did they grow back? And after how long?

Thanks Johnny, yea the top picture in my profile was me at 1.5 months post op, I had suffered major shock loss and I looked terrible, the bottom picture was taken this Saturday at 4.5 months, I started seeing the shock loss grow back at 3 months, then from there the shock loss and the transplanted hair has been growing in synch also my hair length helps definitely provide more coverage.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Important post. Fully agree with HT's feedback. We the community can set the standard if we refuse to engage with or endorse physicians who try and cut corners.

Do we have a list of reocmmendation doctors, besides Dr. D, who are still doing this?

Thanks Johnny, yea the top picture in my profile was me at 1.5 months post op, I had suffered major shock loss and I looked terrible, the bottom picture was taken this Saturday at 4.5 months, I started seeing the shock loss grow back at 3 months, then from there the shock loss and the transplanted hair has been growing in synch also my hair length helps definitely provide more coverage.

Nice to know.

I suffered shockloss Also and am nervous about it growing back. But im only 6-7 weeks post op so i know it is to soon to worry, but i just cant help it.

But it sure gives me hope to see that your shockloss hairs return. ?

I believe we should also consider the experience, skill and qualification of technicians involved before recommending any Surgeon. There should be a (re) review of recommended surgeon every set number of years.

As people spend a huge amount of money (sometimes a fortune) to get their hairs sorted, I believe it will only be fair to get a written consent from the surgery when you book in, as to who will be performing your surgery and what part of the surgery.

This is only my opinion I'm open to criticism!.

I agree that all recommend physicians need to commit to creating 100% of incision sites. I also think that physicians that do not extract 100% of FUE grafts themselves need to prominently disclose that on their HRN profile. They should have to periodically update their disclosures about physician participation in surgery.

Excellent post, Bill. Informed consent is crucial for individuals to recognize each element of the hair loss condition and the process of surgical hair restoration. There shouldn't be any secrets locked away or hidden about credentials. The public should be protected in this case.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree that all recommend physicians need to commit to creating 100% of incision sites. I also think that physicians that do not extract 100% of FUE grafts themselves need to prominently disclose that on their HRN profile. They should have to periodically update their disclosures about physician participation in surgery.

I would also think that if Techs perform 100% of the extractions, then those Techs need to go through some sort of vetting process by this site as well.

Excellent post, Bill. Informed consent is crucial for individuals to recognize each element of the hair loss condition and the process of surgical hair restoration. There shouldn't be any secrets locked away or hidden about credentials. The public should be protected in this case.

Hi, guess we try to fix the things in life that seem possible.

Though honestly, had I been given advanced warnings about potential bad results, including walk through examples showing me as a possible client what may actually happen, a more correct choice would have been more easily allowed.

During the surgical event shortly after the Dr. left as I had no idea in advance he would do that, one of the team informed me that her specialty was hernia operations prior to choosing hair surgery as a newer direction.

Living with permanent scars, noticable.

Not once did they inform that giant cyst like breakouts at the new hair sights, would result in 'noticable non natural looking indentations'.

Indentations that would probably cost me many thousands of dollars more, if easier for a fixed income person if not being a little fearful of going any further.

If the scars could be hidden with more hair or somehow just getting rid of a removed nail looking hairline scar collection, if that is even possible now.

Still feel like am wearing a hat due to them using too much numbing agent during the process. I imagine hardly any numbing agent at all would be needed for anything done in the future.

Never leave the house without a hat now, have not eaten at a restaurant that does not allow hats now for years, finding excuses for bowing out to some who have not seen me without a hat on.

Ah well, his lawyers would find a way to make it cost me more somehow, so why even bother trying right?

The current statue of limitations plus the client signed disclaimers serve some higher ups too well during the act of marginalization I'm affraid.

Thankyou so very much for that. (not you, meant them)

Good Luck people, not every persons results are the same though I feel it might be too late for myself.

Unless there is a way to finding free or nearly free repair work done by a understanding reputable clinic.