FUT Scar Concealing Techniques

Hello,

I wanted some help/advice on the next HT surgery that I might be planning on doing.

I did my first HT in 2009 with Dr. Feller and I plan on getting my HT done by either Dr. Rahal or Dr. Hasson some time this year or early next year.

There are two main areas where I need input from experienced folks on this forum:

1) What are some of the known techniques on concealing the FUT scar? I have heard and in my 1st HT as well, doctor shaved the recepient area and I ended up getting a very short (#1) crew cut for rest of the head after the surgery

- For how many months the scar is easily visible? (I understand that this depends on the individual hair growth and I can't recollect this from my first HT surgery)

- I plan on taking a month off from work; would that suffice as far as the visibility of the scar goes?

- I currently use dermach and toppik/nanogen; Does dermach help in concealing the scar as well?

2) I see that both Dr. Rahal and Dr. Hasson have their clinics in Canada. Do they perform surgeries in any of the US locations as well? I am living in US on a work permit and my US visa stamp has expired so in order to get the HT done in Canada, I would have to get a Canadian visa as well as renew my US visa :(

3) Lastly, what is the per graft cost that I am looking for either of the doctors? Apologies if this information is already present in the forum threads. In that case, pointers to those would be helpful.

I would appreciate any response to my above questions. Thanks in advance!

You shouldn't have to shave the recipient zone for the next procedure.

You can conceal the scar with hair products like Couvre, and Dermatch works as a concealer as well.

The clinics should give you pricing upon request of consultation.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You can conceal the scar with hair products like Couvre, and Dermatch works as a concealer as well.

Pardon my ignorance but isn't it better for surgeons to shave the recipient zone to get better visibility and not run over existing hair grafts? At least that is what I had heard/read during my 1st surgery; Not sure if things have changed nowadays.

Both surgeons only perform surgeries in Canada. You can probably renew your US visa at the consulates in Canada whilst you have the procedure. Are you leaning towards one over the other?

Still doing my research but leaning towards Dr. Hasson. Does that change anything?

Still doing my research but leaning towards Dr. Hasson. Does that change anything?

I dont think you can go wrong with either one. How close are you to Ottawa vs Vancouver?

For me it was a 6 hour drive from the states to Rahal vs 6 hour flight, but I think I would have been happy with either one. With H&W I felt the rep was too "salesy" if that's even a word - turned me off.

Dr Hasson's cost is listed on the H&W website. It's US$6 per graft for the 1st 2,000 grafts, and then $3 a graft thereafter plus 5% tax. Dr Rahal's pricing is fairly similar I believe, although way less transparent. I communicated with one chap who was charged US$5 per graft for the 1st 2,500 grafts, and then $3 plus 15% tax, but then spoke to another chap who was charged in Canadian $ which ended up being US$3.5 a graft incl tax, so seems variable. The clinic also posted that it's FUE worked out to about us$6 a graft.

Dr Hasson makes it mandatory to shave the recipient area for all procedures, no option at all. I think Rahal assesses on a case by case basis. I believe Shapiro medical don't mandate shaving for procedures less than 2,500 grafts. I say let them shave it, especially if it makes the procedure less difficult for them

Dr Hasson's cost is listed on the H&W website. It's US$6 per graft for the 1st 2,000 grafts, and then $3 a graft thereafter plus 5% tax. Dr Rahal's pricing is fairly similar I believe, although way less transparent. I communicated with one chap who was charged US$5 per graft for the 1st 2,500 grafts, and then $3 plus 15% tax, but then spoke to another chap who was charged in Canadian $ which ended up being US$3.5 a graft incl tax, so seems variable. The clinic also posted that it's FUE worked out to about us$6 a graft.

Thanks for the information on pricing! I am looking (hopefully) for more than 3000+ grafts surgery this time.

Dr Hasson makes it mandatory to shave the recipient area for all procedures, no option at all. I think Rahal assesses on a case by case basis. I believe Shapiro medical don't mandate shaving for procedures less than 2,500 grafts. I say let them shave it, especially if it makes the procedure less difficult for them

I agree. So I am looking at having #1 crew cut after the HT. Planning on using Dermach to hide the scar for couple of months.

Do anyone here suggest any one Dr. over the other (Rahal & Hasson)? I am mainly looking for dense packing for hairline and crown areas. Also, should I also consider Dr. Shapiro as well? Sorry if I am digressing from the topic of this thread!

Lastly, if anyone have any pictures of FUT scar concealing after the HT then it would be very helpful.

Pardon my ignorance but isn't it better for surgeons to shave the recipient zone to get better visibility and not run over existing hair grafts? At least that is what I had heard/read during my 1st surgery; Not sure if things have changed nowadays.

Hi, Refusetogobald. It's quicker in terms of harvesting time to shave the recipient. 'Better' is minimizing surgery time, which, in many opinions isn't practical for a large number of clinics. Visibility and speed are two different aspects of the process.

Most clinics use a certain measure of magnification while performing FUE extraction and insertion. Regardless of the technique, the given measure of magnification allows the ability for easy recognition of hair shafts and areas that have less hair density due to the miniaturization process. Hair being implanted is seen under magnification as to avoid making recipient sites over preexisting terminal hair.

Hair being removed is also seen under magnification to determine where it will be implanted in the recipient zone. In FUE, hair is extracted from the donor region at magnification with a small device as to avoid transecting (destroying) the surrounding donor hair follicles. Most FUE surgeons will have transection of donor follicles anywhere up to approx. 5%.

Most FUT surgeons will also destroy a small percentage of donor follicles with the FUT/strip excision.

FUE and FUT in the hands of different surgeons will increase or decrease transection rates.

Time is the factor for clinics who don't routinely shave the donor area. Examination of the donor area is much easier for a trained professional. A professional should be able to recognize a patient's hair characteristics.

Not shaving the donor area is common for us but not shaving the recipient is also common for us. We have many preparation methods for our patients, especially because our patients come to us with unique goals and demands.

Things like instrumentation and protocols are constantly changing at certain clinics and at My World Hair Transplant Center (MyWHTC) in Brussels, Belgium with Dr. Patrick Mwamba.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Agree with Stig. At least let them shave or trim your priority areas. I was against shaving recipient initially, so we trimmed and shaved key areas we agreed would be most impactful. You definitely want someone thats consultative and makes decisions on your specific case. Not a fan of absolutes.

Agree with Stig. At least let them shave or trim your priority areas. I was against shaving recipient initially, so we trimmed and shaved key areas we agreed would be most impactful. You definitely want someone thats consultative and makes decisions on your specific case. Not a fan of absolutes.

The recipient zone is negligible to graft survival. Shaving the recipient in FUT is not today's standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Refusetogobald,

Thanks for your interest in Dr Hasson. I can confirm that Dr Hasson requires you to shave the recipient area this is in the best interest long term for patients who have hair in this area. The donor area for FUT can be left longer to conceal the scar or shaved it is your own choice.

Dr Hasson charges $5 per graft for the first 2000 and then reduces down to $3 per graft after that plus 5% tax. Our prices are on the website it does amaze me how few clinics advertise their charges upfront I guess they want you contact them directly. If you have any questions or want to send me your photos my email is david@hassonandwong.com

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson