I've been using this site and forum for many years now and wanted to start by saying thank you to all of you who contributed your stories, opinions, and recommendations. Here is my story:
I'm 32 years old. I've had two FUT surgeries already. The first was in Massachusetts in 2009 with Dr. Distefano where I got 1400 grafts and I saw great results but was left with a very bad thick scar. My second surgery was also FUT with Dr. Pong in Chiang Mai, Thailand where I think it was around 1,500. He cut out the thick scar and did a better job with sewing it up, unfortunately a lot of scar tissue was left after it healed and now I have a 1.5mm thick scar that goes all the way to my ears and I have to keep my hair pretty long to cover it up.
I've been on Propecia since I was 19 years old. I'd really like to get off of it at some point as I think it definitely affects my libido and I've had a lot of trouble keeping a relationship. I've also been using Rogaine off and on for a few years.
I've been looking into my third surgery. After talking to many doctors and getting consults it seems that my options are either to do FUE and put hairs into my scar to help hide it (using my donor hair which is limited) or doing another FUT and hoping that it turns out better. I'd like to also fill in my crown area but most of the doctors have said I will not be happy with the results because I don't have enough bald area and I would likely lose real hair from the trauma, same goes for the front.
I'm very nervous because it seems this is my last chance to fix this scar if I went with FUT. There is a doctor in the middle east named Alex Ginzburg that has a method where he cuts a zigzag across the donor scar and then cuts the strip. The zig zag helps the hair fall over and conceal the scar and then he takes the hair from the small triangles and uses that for the crown, he thinks he can maybe get 500 grafts into the crown. Total price is $3,300 for the repair surgery. He showed me one before and after and I was very impressed with the results of the scar, his before/after scalp photos on his site though are not so impressive. I've also received quotes from clinics in Cyprus and Turkey who think FUE and transplanting into the donor scar is the best option.
What do you guys think I should do? Also, is there a doctor that is known for being the best at fixing the scar? I don't mind traveling.
Thanks in advance.
Attached are photos in 2009 before first surgery, 2013 before second surgery, and 2016.
I wanted some help/advice on the next HT surgery that I might be planning on doing.
I did my first HT in 2009 with Dr. Feller and I plan on getting my HT done by either Dr. Rahal or Dr. Hasson some time this year or early next year.
There are two main areas where I need input from experienced folks on this forum:
1) What are some of the known techniques on concealing the FUT scar? I have heard and in my 1st HT as well, doctor shaved the recepient area and I ended up getting a very short (#1) crew cut for rest of the head after the surgery
- For how many months the scar is easily visible? (I understand that this depends on the individual hair growth and I can't recollect this from my first HT surgery)
- I plan on taking a month off from work; would that suffice as far as the visibility of the scar goes?
- I currently use dermach and toppik/nanogen; Does dermach help in concealing the scar as well?
2) I see that both Dr. Rahal and Dr. Hasson have their clinics in Canada. Do they perform surgeries in any of the US locations as well? I am living in US on a work permit and my US visa stamp has expired so in order to get the HT done in Canada, I would have to get a Canadian visa as well as renew my US visa
3) Lastly, what is the per graft cost that I am looking for either of the doctors? Apologies if this information is already present in the forum threads. In that case, pointers to those would be helpful.
I would appreciate any response to my above questions. Thanks in advance!
First of all, i regret getting FUT. The main reason why i got FUT was because i didn't have enough money and i do not want to finance. Now that i think about it, i wish i had waited few months to save up for FUE. Anyways, i got my procedure done about two and half months ago and i am really stressing about the outcome of the scar more than the result of my hairline which was the primary reason of going into surgery. I will attach some pictures to this post so you guys can let me know if my scar is healing right and if it is stretching or not. Does anyone know what i need to avoid so it doesn't stretch and what i need to do to make it better? Any input will be very appreciated.
I had a hair transplant 2 week ago . Due to some busy schedule i couldn't upload my photos.
Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss and Transplant Photos
I am uploading my before and after photos (Just after surgery) .
Please provide me your valuable comments on my Hair Transplant.
You can also rate the quality of HT (Please have a look on above this post)