Questions re: FUE and shaved head

Almosthere

Hi guys! 1st post but have been poking around for a little while. I've got a couple questions and know you guys are the ones to ask!

I am in my late 30s and have been losing my hair since probably 19yo. I've been on Propecia for over 10 years and have shaved my head with a razor for about 8 years now. I am somewhere around a nw 4....maybe 4a. My father and brother are completely bald (typical horseshoe). I probably held it off due to meds.

I am very close to getting a FUE procedure and am considering Dr. Diep. My question(s) is I've planned about 3-4 weeks off work for this procedure / recovery. I plan on growing my hair out 5-7 days prior to give him enough "length" to harvest from. How soon after the operation can I cut my hair? I'd like to trim it to with a 1 guard to keep things even (I can grow it out further but would rather not). I have no problem wearing a short haircut (kind of have to due to work) and can get away with a hat at work also.

Considering the above, I can wear hats and a short-buzzed cut is what I ultimately want, will I have an easier time with all of thos? Seems like an odd question I know but I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this with what to expect, etc.

The grafts are apparently secure after 7 days, so once all scabs have gone you could shave your whole head from around week 2. To be on the safe side I would wait, though, at least 3 weeks. Also check with the clinic and see what they say as clinics do differ in their advice in this regard (i.e. Dr Erdogan recommends not buzzing for 5 months, and some clinics say wait even longer...)

Hi guys! 1st post but have been poking around for a little while. I've got a couple questions and know you guys are the ones to ask!

I am in my late 30s and have been losing my hair since probably 19yo. I've been on Propecia for over 10 years and have shaved my head with a razor for about 8 years now. I am somewhere around a nw 4....maybe 4a. My father and brother are completely bald (typical horseshoe). I probably held it off due to meds.

I am very close to getting a FUE procedure and am considering Dr. Diep. My question(s) is I've planned about 3-4 weeks off work for this procedure / recovery. I plan on growing my hair out 5-7 days prior to give him enough "length" to harvest from. How soon after the operation can I cut my hair? I'd like to trim it to with a 1 guard to keep things even (I can grow it out further but would rather not). I have no problem wearing a short haircut (kind of have to due to work) and can get away with a hat at work also.

Considering the above, I can wear hats and a short-buzzed cut is what I ultimately want, will I have an easier time with all of thos? Seems like an odd question I know but I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this with what to expect, etc.

I shaved the donor area - back and sides of my head after 5/6 days and i blended it into the top part of my head using a scissors. I was very careful not to touch the new grafts and shaved up towards them but stopped an inch or so before them. Obviously you cant do anything with the newly grafted area but it will be quite short up there at first anyway. check out my photos on my forum post to give you an idea of how it would look. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181146-fue-hair-transplant-dr-marwan-saifi-wroclaw-poland-fue-2050-grafts-2-10-15-diffuse-norw.html

Thanks for the replies everyone. When I did my video consultation a while back he suggested around 5 days to grow out the donor area. Couldn't remember what was said about cutting the hair afterwards so I figured I'd ask here.

Also, I'd be flying there and back. If I flew back a day or 2 after the procedure, will I be all bandaged up and looking like I just escaped from the ER or can I wear a loose fitting hat? Dont want to freak people out on the plane!

Thanks again everyone...might seem like some dumb questions but as I'm sure you all know, this is a very sensitive procedure/topic.

Thanks for the replies everyone. When I did my video consultation a while back he suggested around 5 days to grow out the donor area. Couldn't remember what was said about cutting the hair afterwards so I figured I'd ask here.

Also, I'd be flying there and back. If I flew back a day or 2 after the procedure, will I be all bandaged up and looking like I just escaped from the ER or can I wear a loose fitting hat? Dont want to freak people out on the plane!

Thanks again everyone...might seem like some dumb questions but as I'm sure you all know, this is a very sensitive procedure/topic.

I was walking around a shopping mall the very next day wearing a loose fitting cap. It was very loose fitting so the donor area will be clearly visible. I got a lot of strange looks but f**k it I wasn't bothered ha. As far Im aware no doctor bandages their patients head

You'll definitely be able to get by with a loose fitting hat. I was wearing the hat without the bandages the day after the procedure. You just have to be extremely careful when you put the hat on and take it off that you don't disrupt the grafts in the process. This is done in a very deliberate, delicate manner, but totally doable. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I agree with "Pkipling", you can wear a cap after the procedure but do not let the inside rim of the cap touch your newly placed grafts in the front. With all the anesthetic administered you may not feel the rim of the cap touching the front grafts. And yes....be very careful removing the hat from your head each time. Carefully remove it each time.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

You can wear hats, you can buzz your head but scars will be visible, there's no procedure that's scarless, but it's not really noticeable, I'm 3 months post op with Dr. Diep pm me I'll share my experience with you.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 weeks later...
I am also wanting to know about this to for a future ht. Perhaps a beanie would be better to wear than a cap?

I think a hat is better than a beanie. With a hat, you can wear it so that no fabric is touching the grafts/scalp. The beanie will most likely apply the fabric directly to the grafts, which could be problematic, especially for the first week after surgery.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

fair call, how would you wear it so its not touching the grafts, is that by having it extremely loose or just angled upwards? I just read this on dr bahtti site aswell..

The static electricity will make you look bald again very fast!

Also the thin new hair that grow at 3 months + mark will continue to get detached due to the strength of the strong electric charge emanating from your woolen cap..

We prefer for patients to wait about fourteen days after the FUE session. If using a razor, we prefer that they wait until thirty days after the FUE session.

All the best...

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians