Pics and Stats with first surgery on the way

esrec

I've been contributing thoughts in a separate thread but failed to add pictures to support my questions and story.

Background:

*Almost 35 year old male suffering from hair loss for almost 10 year.

*Loss and been progressive but steady. I've been quoted most recently for 1800 +/- grafts which was the same recommendation made when I had my first consultation 3 years ago.

FUT vs FUE consideration:

This has been a more difficult topic that I originally anticipated. I came in with an understanding that FUE offered a quicker recovery and no scar in exchange for 80-90% yield / thickness / quality equivalency vs no scar, quicker aesthetic recovery (for someone w long hair) and more predictable consistent results with FUT.

I've since come to understand there's some wildly different opinions on this topic. The one piece of agreement "appears" to be that an expert surgeon can mitigate much and make differences negligible between procedures

Me:

I live a very active and entertainment heavy lifestyle so am very conscientious about continuing to mask this. Its been an exhaustive process for the past 3 yrs thats been very damaging to my mental health. I'm somewhat proud of myself for lasting this long given when my frustration started. I've being using courve and toppik with some solid results but the process that I undergo everyday is painstaking.

Priorities:

*Outcome / Results are my # 1. Well above $$, scar, etc

*I would love to avoid a scar and/or not shave my head while getting equivalent results, but not at the expense of the quality.

*Some concerns over fully recovery from scar but hear its not bad

*I want to factor in subsequent surgeries in my decision. (ie FUT/FUE combo)

*Should 1800 grafts factor, and which should come first if so?

*Cost is not factoring into my decision

*Recovery time is important but I am taking a month off from work

*I intend to make a call in the next week

Surgeon Consultations:

Bernstein: His history is what attracted me to him, and being based in NY. His bedsides manner and demeanor leaves much to be desired, but its also the kind of temperament that suggests extreme confidence and comfort---qualities I do want in my surgeon. Admittedly, even as a NY'er who appreciates the dry manner and wit, extracting answers from him has been a challenge. He is confident, short, and direct about his direction that I should have FUT. He seems "safe".

Harris: I saw he was the recipient of the Follicle award and he was advancing FUE techniques with the SAFE system. These felt like compelling factors and a strong reason to add him to the consideration, particularly if considering FUE: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177464-dr-james-harris-honored-2014-golden-follicle-award.html

He's been very fair in both of my consultations, not trying to sway me in either direction but delivering confidence that concerns about "messing this up" by choosing the wrong procedure is much less a factor, rather, the surgeon. He's provided a ton of info and do feel drawn to him.

Shapiro: I've consulted with Jeffrey Shapiro (not sure if theres more than one Shapiro) he has also given me a ton of detail. He doesnt focus on just hair which for me is a big detractor, but has been a voice that has level set some of the opposing opinions that the other two seem to share. He leans with Harris in being able to delivery equal FUE results

This forum seems to be a big advocate of H+W and Feller to a degree as well. If Im overthinking I want to be told I am. If the decision between this group and choosing either procedure will be negligible in differences, I want to be told as well.

Thank you

745.jpg.074610496e1395c6818e6ce471d798db.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg.4be11471ddb09f0354d4d6ed044ad521.jpg

82.jpg.e512495145d2f609276c3533d1d6be66.jpg

IMG_7447.jpg.2f6b4cae6c33541168a0f2b22640d626.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also hairline on pics is somewhat deceiving bc its "laying" and not pulled back. Additionally, you can see where my hairline originally was, versus where I now have it living based on the tan line. If you look closely the "fuzz" in front / middle is a result of a receding widows peak, which simply gave me a little extra to work with early on. We'll likely create a hairline more natural and discard of the "peak".

Edited by esrec

Bernstein and Harris probably both around normal/mediocre level.

Feller is good at FUT, not good at FUE.

H&W absolute elite at FUT. The best of the best. I think almost everyone will concur with this one.

Don't know about the Shapiro you mention.

So for FUT the choice for me would be simple, H&W. For FUE I would broaden my options. The FUE elite is centered in Europe primarily.

Good luck.

Edited by Swooping

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

H&W are peerless. But they're also known more for megasession work, which isn't what you need. You'd be remiss if you didn't consult with both Rahal and Konior for a FUT procedure. They're both widely considered to be superior to Bernstein, Shapiro, and Harris. Bernstein is also EXTREMELY expensive.

Thanks for intiial feedback. I trust what the forum is saying, but also notice that due to less reviews and pictures posted from the doctors mentioned their seems to be less knowledge on their expertise in general. Is that fair? I dont see a ton of Harris, Shapiro or Bernstein contribution.

What are thoughts on which procedure?

If you are in for ther long term, and you have decided that you will never be a completely bald man, then strip makes sense. As you will never have to shave the back down really short.

It looks like you have done well in sucessfully maintaining your hair with meds, and i can see why you want a HT. My situation was similar to yours, in that i had stabalized my hairloss, but was disapointed with my hairline. FUE was not as big when i was spending a lot of time on hairloss forums, and i can see why it is more popular choice than strip, and i believe that technique in this method has much improved at the top of the table amoungst the most talented docs in particular.

But the safe choice is strip in terms of maximum yield and result. I'm due to have a 2nd HT in Jan by FUE, so i will know better then subjectively about my experience of strip vs FUE. I plan to have some grafts put in to my strip scar as a fail safe, so i can always shave down short and just accept being bald as a worst case scenario further down the road, i don't expect that to happen, but plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Also, my strip scar is very thin, and i've been battling hairloss for 13 years, propecia works, as does minoxidil, although i slowly quit minoxidil over two years and i have lost some density due to that, which has made me decide to strike my final offensive against hairloss and get what i plan to be my final HT. I don't care as much about hairloss now as i used too in my 20s, especially as some of my mates who used to rip me about hairloss are now bald. I'm 35 soon, decided to roll the dice, go to a top class FUE doc, and improve and thicken what i have.

All the docs mentioned in this thread are solid choices from what i know.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

I'm very impressed with the amount of research you've done and the knowledge you've accumulated along the way. You raise some very good questions and make very good points explaining your thought process, concerns, etc.

For me, so much of choosing a doctor and deciding between FUE/Strip is ultimately a very personal, individual decision. Yes, there are some hard and fast rules from time to time as to whether someone is better candidate for strip or FUE, and there are some doctors who you would clearly want to stay away from (and some, such as H&W that seem to be universally touted as the "best of the best"). However, once the research is done, I think one of the things that often gets overlooked when making a decision is the idea of "trusting your gut", which is why I think these decisions ultimately are about what you want, which is something nobody else can answer.

For me, I knew I didn't want the strip scar. The only appeal to it for me was the price difference (which ultimately wasn't even a factor, as I don't believe anyone should make a decision of this nature based on price.) I like the idea of being able to shave down in the back if I need to, and I didn't even want to risk having a large, noticeable scar across the back of my head. One of the things to consider with the scar is that our own physiology can contribute to a poor strip scar quite considerably, and sometimes even the best surgeon in the world can't change how your body could respond to it. For me, that wasn't a risk I was willing to take. Counter that with finding a surgeon who I truly trusted to deliver comparable FUE results, and the decision was made for me. (And fortunately, I think he delivered.)

As for choosing the doctor, this is where I think your gut comes into play more than anything. Any number of the surgeons recommended on this forum deliver consistent, quality results. It's quite hard to go too wrong using this list as a platform. I knew when I had my consultation with Dr. Mohebi that he was someone I believed and trusted. His resume and results aside, I felt like he was ethical, had great bedside manner and patience, and was extremely personable. These are the types of things I look for in a doctor, which is why it ended up being an easy decision to proceed with him. On the flip side of that, you mentioned Dr. Bernstein, who I don't know personally. Based on the description you gave, he's someone who I would probably meet and say "Thanks, but no thanks" just on his approach alone. However, this is a style that may resonate with you. All things being equal, choosing the surgeon is something extremely personal.

I wish there was a one size fits all approach to determining the answers to the questions you mentioned. Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

Not sure if that helped... at all. ;)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Without going into a massive FUT V FUE debate here, but you are text book FUE candidate, shut the book on FUT you don't need to scar yourself, you don't look like you are headed towards anything higher than NW3, so future HT are unlikely, you wont need to STRIP STRIP until STRIPPED OUT logic. Seems like your decision is primarily based around whats the best locally for me and what typically is the "done" thing. Yes I would say "typically" FUT is the done thing for most Americans but slowly your country is catching up to what the rest of the Hair loss community has already embraced.

If the overall final look is #1 reason and money not an option, then go for 2500 FUE in the hairline and travel to Europe. I don't mean to sound direct or blunt, but you have really decent hair with minimal hair loss, think hard about going the strip method, a top FUE Dr will give you what you desire you'll just have to travel.

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

I'm very impressed with the amount of research you've done and the knowledge you've accumulated along the way. You raise some very good questions and make very good points explaining your thought process, concerns, etc.

For me, so much of choosing a doctor and deciding between FUE/Strip is ultimately a very personal, individual decision. Yes, there are some hard and fast rules from time to time as to whether someone is better candidate for strip or FUE, and there are some doctors who you would clearly want to stay away from (and some, such as H&W that seem to be universally touted as the "best of the best"). However, once the research is done, I think one of the things that often gets overlooked when making a decision is the idea of "trusting your gut", which is why I think these decisions ultimately are about what you want, which is something nobody else can answer.

For me, I knew I didn't want the strip scar. The only appeal to it for me was the price difference (which ultimately wasn't even a factor, as I don't believe anyone should make a decision of this nature based on price.) I like the idea of being able to shave down in the back if I need to, and I didn't even want to risk having a large, noticeable scar across the back of my head. One of the things to consider with the scar is that our own physiology can contribute to a poor strip scar quite considerably, and sometimes even the best surgeon in the world can't change how your body could respond to it. For me, that wasn't a risk I was willing to take. Counter that with finding a surgeon who I truly trusted to deliver comparable FUE results, and the decision was made for me. (And fortunately, I think he delivered.)

As for choosing the doctor, this is where I think your gut comes into play more than anything. Any number of the surgeons recommended on this forum deliver consistent, quality results. It's quite hard to go too wrong using this list as a platform. I knew when I had my consultation with Dr. Mohebi that he was someone I believed and trusted. His resume and results aside, I felt like he was ethical, had great bedside manner and patience, and was extremely personable. These are the types of things I look for in a doctor, which is why it ended up being an easy decision to proceed with him. On the flip side of that, you mentioned Dr. Bernstein, who I don't know personally. Based on the description you gave, he's someone who I would probably meet and say "Thanks, but no thanks" just on his approach alone. However, this is a style that may resonate with you. All things being equal, choosing the surgeon is something extremely personal.

I wish there was a one size fits all approach to determining the answers to the questions you mentioned. Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

Not sure if that helped... at all. ;)

I really, sincerely appreciate your thoughtful response. It's refreshing to be around and thought share with knowledge people who have endured what I am considering.

To your first paragraph, I very much agree. I think what has clouded my opinion was the narrative I came in with, thinking that at minimum, it would be clear A) which surgery was best for me, B) which procedure would yield the best result.

The controversy sucks the air out of you, but is ultimately a good one.

There's a part of me that's struggled to discount the original and strong opinion I had from Dr. B. He pioneered the space. He's a top doc every year. Hes extremely confident and matter of fact. It's difficult to shake your initial feedback from someone supposedly so well known.

Also, my nature is to suffer for a better outcome--so in the back of my mind im saying "suck it up, take the scar, if the result is going to be better, dont be shortsighted", which of course is balanced by the facts that it may no longer be the accurate story.

Net / Net: Im realizing this is a personal decision. Ive heard mix things on which procedure would be best for me. Ive heard some say FUT should be used for larger sessions and others say thats not the case. I've heard others preach the consistency of FUT and others claim SAFE method for example makes for better grafts now.

All things being equal, if someone said I could avoid a scar and get an absolutely equivalent results, my decision would be made.

Without going into a massive FUT V FUE debate here, but you are text book FUE candidate, shut the book on FUT you don't need to scar yourself, you don't look like you are headed towards anything higher than NW3, so future HT are unlikely, you wont need to STRIP STRIP until STRIPPED OUT logic. Seems like your decision is primarily based around whats the best locally for me and what typically is the "done" thing. Yes I would say "typically" FUT is the done thing for most Americans but slowly your country is catching up to what the rest of the Hair loss community has already embraced.

If the overall final look is #1 reason and money not an option, then go for 2500 FUE in the hairline and travel to Europe. I don't mean to sound direct or blunt, but you have really decent hair with minimal hair loss, think hard about going the strip method, a top FUE Dr will give you what you desire you'll just have to travel.

Thank you for the thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Can you elaborate on why you feel so strongly I should move forward with FUE? I will likely need subsequent surgeries in the future just based on my dads hairline and my age (35) and barring medical advancements. But can you play for 10 yrs? Im also hearing yield differences and supply are drawing closer too. Is that fair?

For me cost is non issue. Local is no issue although as mentioned above its taking me a few conversations to maybe acknowledge I need to broaden my horizon. You read about a top doctor in your city who seems ultra confident in a subtle way and its tough to shake that opinon

All I care about is:

*Outcome. A hairline that is full and restored to the best possible natural looking degree

*Would like to avoid scar if possibly, but only if it means equivalent results

*Shaving head would put me out of commission, but I can just travel for a month and lay low

I wonder, am I discounting the personal importance in this decision, perhaps overvaluing the procedural differences which are now potentially negligible in the right hands? I struggle mightily with regret. I just want the top guy, whatever the cost or location.

I've been contributing thoughts in a separate thread but failed to add pictures to support my questions and story.

Background:

*Almost 35 year old male suffering from hair loss for almost 10 year.

*Loss and been progressive but steady. I've been quoted most recently for 1800 +/- grafts which was the same recommendation made when I had my first consultation 3 years ago.

FUT vs FUE consideration:

This has been a more difficult topic that I originally anticipated. I came in with an understanding that FUE offered a quicker recovery and no scar in exchange for 80-90% yield / thickness / quality equivalency vs no scar, quicker aesthetic recovery (for someone w long hair) and more predictable consistent results with FUT.

I've since come to understand there's some wildly different opinions on this topic. The one piece of agreement "appears" to be that an expert surgeon can mitigate much and make differences negligible between procedures

Me:

I live a very active and entertainment heavy lifestyle so am very conscientious about continuing to mask this. Its been an exhaustive process for the past 3 yrs thats been very damaging to my mental health. I'm somewhat proud of myself for lasting this long given when my frustration started. I've being using courve and toppik with some solid results but the process that I undergo everyday is painstaking.

Priorities:

*Outcome / Results are my # 1. Well above $$, scar, etc

*I would love to avoid a scar and/or not shave my head while getting equivalent results, but not at the expense of the quality.

*Some concerns over fully recovery from scar but hear its not bad

*I want to factor in subsequent surgeries in my decision. (ie FUT/FUE combo)

*Should 1800 grafts factor, and which should come first if so?

*Cost is not factoring into my decision

*Recovery time is important but I am taking a month off from work

*I intend to make a call in the next week

Surgeon Consultations:

Bernstein: His history is what attracted me to him, and being based in NY. His bedsides manner and demeanor leaves much to be desired, but its also the kind of temperament that suggests extreme confidence and comfort---qualities I do want in my surgeon. Admittedly, even as a NY'er who appreciates the dry manner and wit, extracting answers from him has been a challenge. He is confident, short, and direct about his direction that I should have FUT. He seems "safe".

Harris: I saw he was the recipient of the Follicle award and he was advancing FUE techniques with the SAFE system. These felt like compelling factors and a strong reason to add him to the consideration, particularly if considering FUE: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177464-dr-james-harris-honored-2014-golden-follicle-award.html

He's been very fair in both of my consultations, not trying to sway me in either direction but delivering confidence that concerns about "messing this up" by choosing the wrong procedure is much less a factor, rather, the surgeon. He's provided a ton of info and do feel drawn to him.

Shapiro: I've consulted with Jeffrey Shapiro (not sure if theres more than one Shapiro) he has also given me a ton of detail. He doesnt focus on just hair which for me is a big detractor, but has been a voice that has level set some of the opposing opinions that the other two seem to share. He leans with Harris in being able to delivery equal FUE results

This forum seems to be a big advocate of H+W and Feller to a degree as well. If Im overthinking I want to be told I am. If the decision between this group and choosing either procedure will be negligible in differences, I want to be told as well.

Thank you

There is a very big difference between FUT yields and FUE yields. If you have good physiological characteristics AND you find a good FUE doctor then you have a chance of a good cosmetic result. Great, even. However, you will not know if have good physiological characteristics until AFTER you've done the surgery and waited about a 8 months to 14 months.

With FUT your physiology does play a role, but not nearly to the extent that it does in FUE. I have rarely seen completely failed FUT procedures, but I have seen this many times in FUE procedures. The reason is the excess trauma placed on the grafts during FUE as compared to FUT. It is simple common sense.

Also, if you chose FUT the majority of your donor area will be available for future procedures up the road, whereas after 2500 to 3000 grafts of FUE the donor area will be pretty scarred making it more difficult to get more grafts up the road.

Also, most FUE clinics quote higher numbers to cover the same area as FUT clinics to compensate for the expected lower yield.

Here is a patient not much different than you who rebuilt his hairline and thickened the top in one 1800 graft FUT session.

Best of luck in whichever you choose.

1.jpg.1e0f69e032ad32bc7c1a588fae068f00.jpg

2.jpg.772dd1468b53c338873963ecad28f67d.jpg

3.jpg.7ccd8677f94cef33496e4c048b955ba4.jpg

5.jpg.dd3e4c54a59878103eec04e33fbba155.jpg

6.jpg.040440c16de9399067df3ae8a103cc92.jpg

7.jpg.3a73acd21fb417eacd1e70f3115d6fa5.jpg

8.jpg.07b176c0cc7bf37dd6cbd9e7de72d1c1.jpg

There is a very big difference between FUT yields and FUE yields. If you have good physiological characteristics AND you find a good FUE doctor then you have a chance of a good cosmetic result. Great, even. However, you will not know if have good physiological characteristics until AFTER you've done the surgery and waited about a 8 months to 14 months.

With FUT your physiology does play a role, but not nearly to the extent that it does in FUE. I have rarely seen completely failed FUT procedures, but I have seen this many times in FUE procedures. The reason is the excess trauma placed on the grafts during FUE as compared to FUT. It is simple common sense.

Also, if you chose FUT the majority of your donor area will be available for future procedures up the road, whereas after 2500 to 3000 grafts of FUE the donor area will be pretty scarred making it more difficult to get more grafts up the road.

Also, most FUE clinics quote higher numbers to cover the same area as FUT clinics to compensate for the expected lower yield.

Here is a patient not much different than you who rebuilt his hairline and thickened the top in one 1800 graft FUT session.

Best of luck in whichever you choose.

Thank you Dr. Feller. Did you have an opinion based on my pictures?

Appreciate it.

Yes.

By the way, I know how you feel, I lost my hair too and got it back with FUT. I would not do FUE on myself unless I absolutely had to. These chat sites are filled with FUE hype and has been taken on as almost a religion by some of the regular and more vociferous posters.

FUE has it's place, but not on a patient like you. You are still losing hair and will need more up the road and need every hair you can get. Pack out the front and LIGHTlY into your forelock with about 3000 grafts via FUT. If you do FUE you will need even more grafts to compensate for the lower yield.

Because I am always accused of "marketing" I will ask that you do not consider me for your transplant (not that I am saying you were). There are GREAT FUT doctors out there with LONG track records of success. Try the following for FUT(I'm excluding doctors I have financial relationships with). These are some of my favorites:

United States:

Konior

Hasson and Wong

Shapiro Brothers

Rahal

Alexander

Gabel

Europe:

Feriduni

Deveroye

Bisanga

Go with any of these guys and your chances for a knock out result are MUCH higher than if you go with FUE no matter how caring and skilled that practitioner is. That's just how it is. This is reality. By the way, some of those guys do FUE themselves, and some damn good FUE, but if you want the BEST chance for knock out growth with minimal donor damage only go with FUT. You'll be very glad you did. No matter how good or bad an FUE result is, an FUT would have been better. No exceptions. Go with any of those guys and come on here in 10 months with your results and I have little doubt this board will be singing your praises and you will owe me a beer. Don't gamble with your scalp or your donor area, you only get one in this life.

Best

Dr. Feller

Yes.

By the way, I know how you feel, I lost my hair too and got it back with FUT. I would not do FUE on myself unless I absolutely had to. These chat sites are filled with FUE hype and has been taken on as almost a religion by some of the regular and more vociferous posters.

FUE has it's place, but not on a patient like you. You are still losing hair and will need more up the road and need every hair you can get. Pack out the front and LIGHTlY into your forelock with about 3000 grafts via FUT. If you do FUE you will need even more grafts to compensate for the lower yield.

Because I am always accused of "marketing" I will ask that you do not consider me for your transplant (not that I am saying you were). There are GREAT FUT doctors out there with LONG track records of success. Try the following for FUT(I'm excluding doctors I have financial relationships with). These are some of my favorites:

United States:

Konior

Hasson and Wong

Shapiro Brothers

Rahal

Alexander

Gabel

Europe:

Feriduni

Deveroye

Bisanga

Go with any of these guys and your chances for a knock out result are MUCH higher than if you go with FUE no matter how caring and skilled that practitioner is. That's just how it is. This is reality. By the way, some of those guys do FUE themselves, and some damn good FUE, but if you want the BEST chance for knock out growth with minimal donor damage only go with FUT. You'll be very glad you did. No matter how good or bad an FUE result is, an FUT would have been better. No exceptions. Go with any of those guys and come on here in 10 months with your results and I have little doubt this board will be singing your praises and you will owe me a beer. Don't gamble with your scalp or your donor area, you only get one in this life.

Best

Dr. Feller

Thank you for such detail Dr. Feller. I really appreciate your candor. And too late, I sent you a note and H+W on Friday.

I understand a debate and controversy will inevitably exist on his topic but understanding outcome is my top priority I respect your feedback. Your position is very similar to Dr. Bernstein's. Dr. Harris is pretty balanced. Acknowledging the safer bet may be FUT, but maintaining the results he is seeing with FUE are on par sans scar.

I'm guessing you refrained from listing both for reasons other than expertise? You can be candid with me.

3000 grafts? Dr. B and others quoted me 1600-2000 max. Are you seeing something different?

I think my big and only fear of FUT is the pain and recovery time. I dont care about a scar thats not visible with long enough hair.

Bigger concern is how long unable to move around, and particularly, how long until I can use masking agents--as I am heavily masked these days and the routine will only be more taxing than it already is with a healing wound. (will obv move away from these at 4-5 month mark)

My lifestyle is very travel and entertainment heavy, but I am planning to have a month off.

Feller always argues a great debate, but his FUE skills are much lower than his FUT skills, its like comparing a 3 series BMW with a 7 series. Like I said, i believe you are text book FUE,

my reasons:

35 years old

future hair loss looks minimum,

you dont look like you will exceed NW3

your donor area estimates 5000 FUE

you only need approx 2500 at this stage

so why scar yourself for life

pay for the best FUE all the best take care

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Yes.

United States:

Konior

Hasson and Wong

Shapiro Brothers

Rahal

Alexander

Gabel

Europe:

Feriduni

Deveroye

Bisanga

Best

Dr. Feller

Esrec, notice how Dr Feller made no mention of Bernstein on his favourite list. That just goes back to my previous post on your other thread that Bernstein is part of the tier 2 and not the best of the best. I guarantee most other surgeons share the same view of Dr Feller.

I am curious to know Dr Feller's favourite list for FUE, for when the patient is stripped out of course :)

Thank you for such detail Dr. Feller. I really appreciate your candor. And too late, I sent you a note and H+W on Friday.

I understand a debate and controversy will inevitably exist on his topic but understanding outcome is my top priority I respect your feedback. Your position is very similar to Dr. Bernstein's. Dr. Harris is pretty balanced. Acknowledging the safer bet may be FUT, but maintaining the results he is seeing with FUE are on par sans scar.

I'm guessing you refrained from listing both for reasons other than expertise? You can be candid with me.

3000 grafts? Dr. B and others quoted me 1600-2000 max. Are you seeing something different?

I think my big and only fear of FUT is the pain and recovery time. I dont care about a scar thats not visible with long enough hair.

Bigger concern is how long unable to move around, and particularly, how long until I can use masking agents--as I am heavily masked these days and the routine will only be more taxing than it already is with a healing wound. (will obv move away from these at 4-5 month mark)

My lifestyle is very travel and entertainment heavy, but I am planning to have a month off.

I actually think Dr Rahal would do an outstanding job for your situation.. He is called the hairline king after all, and will densly pack it in for you.

Yes.

United States:

Konior

Hasson and Wong

Shapiro Brothers

Rahal

Alexander

Gabel

Europe:

Feriduni

Deveroye

Bisanga

Best

Dr. Feller

This is as honest and forthright an answer from a doctor as you're ever likely to get. Dr. Feller's surgeons lists are the cream of the crop, and you'd be in great shape.

I disagree with the statement, though, that you're unlikely to progress beyond a NWIII. You're 35, so not "young" by HT standards but also not old. You don't have extremely significant loss, but you don't have minimal loss, and the remaining hair on your head is much thinner than original density native hair. There is a very good chance you will lose a fairly significant portion of what you have, and the idea that you'll need only 5,000 grafts for life is not something I would rely on. Basically, I respect Seth's perspective a lot, but I really disagree that you're a "textbook" FUE candidate.

My input: I would get an FUT. I had fairly minimal loss (very dense NWII) and had an FUT at 29. I went to a mediocre-to-poor doc and happened to get a stellar result through blind luck, but the scar is only OK. Even with the C+ scar, I do not for a second regret getting FUT. The yield was fantastic, and I am not bothered by the scar. I like to wear short hairstyles, but find that the scar is easily concealed at a 3 guard, and I frequently cut to a 2.5 guard and rub a little DermMatch on the scar. One person has every noticed, and he already knew what a transplant scar was. I know there's a lot of caterwauling about transplant scars, but I'm the kind of guy who should be bothered by it: young, 90% of my original hair intact, and prefers short hairstyles. And it's really not bad. If a couple years go by and you want to minimize it, you can get some SMP and FUE into the scar and dramatically reduce its visibility. I know that once you're cut, you're cut, but I think the significance of the scar is really oversold.

Here is a recent good FUE result with no strip scar.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173759-2-781-grafts-dr-diep-11.html

There are great FUE results and great FUT results out there. FUT might get you a bit better yield but you are contending with a scar that may or may not become problematic. Also down time is longer. With FUE youll be fine in a month.

You have thick hair. I think you can get away with FUE from a great doctor like Lorenzo. 2500 grafts.

Edited by MAGNUMpi

Looking at your pics I thought 1600 - 2000 was too low. That's another one of my critisism with Dr Bernstein, he is too conservative. Nothing wrong with being conservative when appropriate, and it definitely has its place, but I get the impression he just doesn't believe in and perform larger sessions in excess of 2,500, whilst it is standard practice for the top elite clinics to perform mega sessions in excess of 3,000 grafts on aconsistent basis. With that approach you are inadvertently going to need to come back for a 2nd pass in a year or 2 to add density. That's going to hurt your pocket big time as Dr B charges a fixed fee per graft of $8.5 for FUT with no reduction in price. Compare that to H&W who charge $5 a graft up to 2,000 grafts, and then $3 a grat for any above 2,000. I also think you are better off trying to do it all in one pass, hence the 3,000 grafts being recommended by Dr Feller. I bet you H&W recommend a similar number if not more.

Minneapolis is a just a short flight away from NY area. Do talk to Ron Shapiro, he is superb with hairlines , which is what you really need . I was in a similar boat as you back in 2004 , and he did solid work on the hairline that has stood the test of time.

Dr Feller is bang on with his comments . You are still young (in my book, and I am 40) and still balding. It is possible you may progress to a higher NW level in your mid 40s as the transplant (FUE or FUT) will "pull forward" the loss of any already thinning front scalp / mid scalp hair , via "shock loss" . This is something that does not get as much attention but is very important if you are transplanting around or between existing hair.

If you go the FUE route , you may get instant gratification in terms of having some hairline and no scar . But heaven forbid , if you end up as a NW5 or 6, you will kick yourself for not better saving your donor area .

As others have said, i would also go for a higher # of grafts -- 2500 at the minimum to focus on the frontal scalp and hairline.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Esrec, notice how Dr Feller made no mention of Bernstein on his favourite list. That just goes back to my previous post on your other thread that Bernstein is part of the tier 2 and not the best of the best. I guarantee most other surgeons share the same view of Dr Feller.

I am curious to know Dr Feller's favourite list for FUE, for when the patient is stripped out of course :)

Fair. I noticed that, and you'll see I followed up with him on that in the next thread. There is however a mention of "financial ties", so not sure if thats why.