Potential Recommendation of Dr. Sam Van Eeden of Dublin, Ireland

Dear forum members,

As many of you know, we gather as much information as possible about a physician, their staff, technique and track record before they are even considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. Part of our review process involves getting input from patients and the members of this forum community. To learn more about this review process, click here.

We’d like to gather your input and opinions regarding the potential recommendation of Dr. Sam Van Eeden of Dublin, Ireland on the Hair Transplant Network. At this time, Dr. Van Eeden is only being considered for recommendation, not the Coalition. To see our standards for recommendation, click here.

Dr. Van Eeden has been performing hair transplant surgery exclusively at his clinic since 2007. He specializes strictly in follicular unit extraction (FUE) and has the staff and experience to perform large sessions exceeding 2000 grafts when appropriate for the patient.

Dr. Sam Van Eeden operates on only one patient per day and performs all the consultations himself. Other procedures he performs includes eyebrow transplantation, scar repair, body hair transplantation (BHT) and more. He also offers FUE megasessions when appropriate for the patient.

Dr. Van Eeden is very hands on and places a large percentage of the follicular units himself. He personally extracts all of the follicular units using the Powered SAFE Scribe invented by Dr. James Harris with punch sizes as small as .8mm to minimize donor area scarring. Dr. Van Eeden estimates growth yield in his hands at approximately 96% with minimal transection.

Dr. Sam Van Eeden works with a team of 14 assistants with several years of experience. Each assistant must undergo a one year rigorous training program before being allowed to assist him during the procedure.

Dr Van Eeden uses single haired grafts in the critical hairline area to recreate a natural looking appearance. Density typically ranges between 35 to 45 follicular units per square centimeter (FU/cm2) in order to maximize the appearance of fullness while preserving grafts for future work. Minimally invasive pre-prepared blades as small as .8mm are used to create tiny incisions to minimize both trauma and resultant scarring to the scalp. Most of the incisions are made prior to insertion however, the stick and place technique is often used to put on the finishing touches.

Dr. Sam Van Eeden is a member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) and is a board certified diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS). He is also a member of the European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ESHRS).

Given Dr. Van Eeden's experience in performing state of the art hair transplant surgery and providing only the best results, in my opinion, he should be considered for recommendation.

In recent weeks, Dr. Van Eeden has presented several examples of his procedure and recent results on this forum. Some of Dr. Van Eeden's Recent Patient and Surgical photos can be found below:

1854 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Van Eeden

1710 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Van Eeden

2000 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Van Eeden

1345 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Van Eeden

2500 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Van Eeden

2000 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Van Eeden

1500 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Van Eeden

1000 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Van Eeden

Clinic Introduction with Photos

I welcome input and comments from forum members regarding his potential recommendation.

To view our standards for recommendation, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Destorius,

Thanks for your input however, did you take a look at any of the examples that he posted? In my opinion, he seems to be doing excellent work and it would be nice to have a solid recommendation in Ireland. His technique is state of the art and his results appear to be high-quality. Is there something particular that you don't like about what you were seeing or is your primary concern regarding the timeline of when he presented photos?

All the best,

Bill

Destroius,

A physician's participation on the discussion forum isn't a direct requirement for recommendation. Viewing several examples of his results however is. Physicians we consider for potential recommendation are prescreened privately first. This includes background checks, interviews, garnering input from their physician colleagues, former patients, etc. By the time we present the physician to the community we are already quite comfortable that a particular doctor is doing excellent work. That said, we do value forum member input and in some cases input we've received from members has stopped us from proceeding forward with a particular recommendation. That's why we feel it is important to invite members to weigh in with their input. We want to be sure no stone has gone unturned before proceeding with approving a doctor for recommendation.

I appreciate your input and I agree that his work looks good. I trust that if he is approved, we will continue to see more from him in the many, many months to come.

Best wishes,

Bill

With respect Bill, examples shown here are in the main 3-4 years old, surely Dr Van Eaden has more recent cases that can be shown, surely you can't expect us to endorse a potential recommendation on that basis, most people want to see examples of up to date cases in choosing a Doc for their own transplant not cases 3-4 years old

Seems like most of the results are at about half of the graft count they should be. Any mega sessions to show since they were mentioned?

I would be against the recomendation at this point but I would say he falls in the category that he wouldn't greatly damage you but he doesn't seem like he is going to be wowing you either. Couple good results posted along with mediocre results imo (just too low of density).

It would be nice to get a doc in ireland, I agree, but it looks like it's going to take 2 trips for most based on what's posted.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Guys,

I see that many of the examples presented are from a couple of years ago. I will ask him to present a couple of more more current ones.

Regarding density, you have to remember that sometimes patients offer coverage over density. That's packing is not always the best approach for patients with large areas of baldness. Also, remember that many of these patients require multiple procedures in order to achieve the results they are looking for. So what you are seeing in some of these are result after one procedure when a patient requires at least one or two more. This is a particular approach that many physicians take in order to maximize growth without affecting vascularity by densely packing too many graphs in a small area.

But that said, I will ask Dr. Van Eeden to present a few more examples of his work van or more recent and show more examples of dense packing when appropriate for the patient.

All the best,

Bill

Mark,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. But before making any kind of judgments, I will be investigating this further and speaking to the doctor to get his side of the story. News media often tends to wrongfully portray people and situations and I certainly don't want to make judgment without speaking to the doctor himself.

The sun till I speak with the doctor, I encourage members to hold off on making any judgments. However we will not approve him for a recommendation until we uncover the reality of the situation.

Best,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Just out of interest do you recommend Dr Maurice Collins of HRBR ?

I had a first and only transplant done at Dr van Eeden's clinic recently and I have to say that the whole experience was first class. He is very open and transparent and did a thorough consultation and medical including bloods etc. He gave me contact details of a list of former patients who had transplants done, many of similar age and degree of balding. Mine did not involve dense packing as we agreed to approach the op conservatively to avoid an unnatural appearance should I experience further loss in and around the balding area. The man could have oversold the amount I needed but wanted to get the most natural result without over harvesting my donor area or killing off some native weak hair which could recover with the conjunctive treatments including finastaride. It is too early to determine my full result but so far regrowth is progressing well and I have no regrets. I think he is a fantastic surgeon, so easy to work with and great sense of humour. I first came into his clinic for the consultation and medical very tense and embarrassed but he has such an affable and down to earth manner you quickly relax. I would suggest you visit his clinic as he has open days and in my opinion is he is at present an under-rated and over looked surgeon who is one of the best around. He works in a small clinic, not particularly lavish, with no free parking given it's village centre location, but then his costs are not lavish. On the day he and his team give you their undivided attention and close the clinic down from morning until evening. His wife and receptionist, technical staff are all easy going but all very professional. Ireland is lucky to have him as the Blackrock clinic while doing good work is ludicrously expensive. I know this is only my subjective account but at present I have no post op pics and I am not sure if I will disclose any in the near future anyway or give any details of grafts used etc as I do not want to give away my identity to either Dr van Eeden or to people who I fear could guess my identity from my distinctive hair texture/style/head shape etc as I am very private and absolutely no one other than my wife knows about my procedure!

haircules,

Thank you for sharing your experience. As you know, we take patient reviews very seriously, good or bad. Since you've had direct experience with him, I encourage you to create your own topic in order to share your detailed experience with photos. I'd personally like to see it and I'm sure others would as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

Mav and KO,

Dr. Karadeniz was unhappy about a few things and thus, we decided to go our separate ways. Please send me a private message for more details as I don't feel it's appropriate to host discussion about it publicly, and especially not on this topic. Please reserve this topic for the discussion of Dr. Van Eeden and potentially recommending him :-).

Best wishes,

Bill

haircules,

Thank you for sharing your experience. As you know, we take patient reviews very seriously, good or bad. Since you've had direct experience with him, I encourage you to create your own topic in order to share your detailed experience with photos. I'd personally like to see it and I'm sure others would as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

Sorry Bill as I said in my last post I have no post op pics available and even when I do I may not choose to share them for the reasons I have already given. To be honest I am not here to convince others that they must approve Dr van Eeden and it does not affect:D me whether this forum approves him or not. I am sure like Maurice Collins his business will do well whether or not he gets recommended. All I am doing is giving a private personal perspective of my experience which is not evidence enough in itself. Before I went to him I had been to several clinics for consultations and done a lot of research. He suited me best for travel and personal convenience as I wanted to be able to hide the procedure even from those closest to me, which I just about managed with great effort!. Regardless of travel convenience I would have had no transplant or go abroad rather than risk a bad one if van Eeden had not been highly rated by the former patients I spoke with

Haircules,

While I respect your decision not to present photos, I think you are doing Dr. Van Eeden a disservice by not presenting them at a time that would really benefit him in terms of being approved for recommendation. Dr. Van Eeden seems to do excellent work in my opinion. But as a patient, you have the opportunity to share his work with others and help this community make a valuable decision on whether or not to approve him.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. So while you can share words of satisfaction with others, photos showing your scalp before surgery and as it is today (even if you don't have any immediately post-operative photos) could help other prospective patients considering him to make a wise choice.

So while whether or not he is approved for recommendation has no bearing on you, presenting photos will help Dr. Van Eeden and prospective patients considering him. Since Dr. Van Eeden provided you with such a valuable service, don't you want to give back to him by sharing your story and photos with others?

Best wishes,

Bill

Sorry Bill,

I do not agree about doing Dr van Eeden a disservice as I did pay for the work, it was not done for free!..so I don't owe him anything other than my own personal account!....yes a picture says so much but I am not trading my privacy or identity being recognised simply to benefit potential clients of Dr van Eeden! I am not ready to do that yet. Take it or leave it. I dont think he will go out of business if your dont recommend him as he is already approved by the AHLA, and bald truth etc! Anyway, do not put too much faith in pictures as you know results can be made to look better if you adjust the light angles etc...if you speak to a broad enough spectrum of patients of a given surgeon then you will get a fairly good flavour of how his work is regarded, so these personal accounts do count as evidence in weighing up in addition of course to the photographic proof. Look at whatclinic.ie and see if there are negative or positive reviews. I doubt you will find anyone complaining about a bad op from him... but.even the best surgeons are not perfect

Sorry Bill,

I do not agree about doing Dr van Eeden a disservice as I did pay for the work, it was not done for free!..so I don't owe him anything other than my own personal account!....yes a picture says so much but I am not trading my privacy or identity being recognised simply to benefit potential clients of Dr van Eeden! I am not ready to do that yet. Take it or leave it. I dont think he will go out of business if your dont recommend him as he is already approved by the AHLA, and bald truth etc! Anyway, do not put too much faith in pictures as you know results can be made to look better if you adjust the light angles etc...if you speak to a broad enough spectrum of patients of a given surgeon then you will get a fairly good flavour of how his work is regarded, so these personal accounts do count as evidence in weighing up in addition of course to the photographic proof. Look at whatclinic.ie and see if there are negative or positive reviews. I doubt you will find anyone complaining about a bad op from him... but.even the best surgeons are not perfect

Guys,

I had a long talk with Dr. Van Eeden and the allegations that were previously presented on this forum were apparently proven false in court. He will be sending over the documentation proving this. Thus, I see no reason to host this information on this forum as it just puts a quality physician in a negative light.

In my opinion, Dr. Van Eeden has all the right stuff and is highly qualified to perform high quality hair transplantation. I have personally been impressed by his dedication and passion and I trust we'll see much more of this as he begins to present more examples of his work.

Best wishes,

Bill

Mark,

Due to the sensitive nature of the situation and in particular because these issues were already resolved and he was vindicated by the courts, please send me this information privately for review first. The doctor is very sensitive about these things because they make him look guilty of something he was declared innocent for. However if he turns out to be guilty for something in particular, I can allow it being posted publicly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Bill

Haircules could you tell us Wat he charges per graft please? Collins is €10 a graft which us shocking

I think currently he charges 6.30 euro per first 1000 grafts and 5.30 euro per graft after the first 1000...but you may be able to negotiate a small reduction on these figures depending upon size of procedure and overall cost. One thing is that his charges are competitive and reasonable including some free complimentary therapies available At current exchange rate of 72p to 73p sterling I think these prices are comparable to the standard of good clinics

I think currently he charges 6.30 euro per first 1000 grafts and 5.30 euro per graft after the first 1000...but you may be able to negotiate a small reduction on these figures depending upon size of procedure and overall cost. One thing is that his charges are competitive and reasonable including some free complimentary therapies available At current exchange rate of 72p to 73p sterling I think these prices are comparable to the standard of good clinics
ya you see here's my problem I'm booked for surgery in 3weeks for 2500 FUE grafts at a cost of €7200 and the same procedure if I went to van Eeden based on ur prices would cost €14,250

I can see your dilemma, but I am totally shocked at how cheap the other price you have for the booked procedure, I cannot understand how they could do it so cheap when they have to employ a whole team and surgeon, and for such a big FUE procedure. Your price is .2.88 euro per graft which is about ?2.08 per graft! I dont know any top clinics or recommended surgeons who charge such low sums either in UK, Ireland, Europe or U.S. Please dont tell me you are booked in to the Ailesbury clinic...I once had a'consultation' at one of these 'clinics' and my god, it consisted of 10 minutes with a non clinical rep then the surgeon was asked to 'pop in' to have a look at my scalp for a few minutes while he was on a break from surgery! no scientific or clinical examination at all..yet they expected me to then make a dcision on that basis! Also the cost was unusually low and for good reason as it would have been a disaster for me..could not wait to get out of the place..by contrast van eeden's consult lasts for more than an hour and you get his full undivided attention and to decide suitability for surgery etc

Edited by David - Moderator