Why do people have multiple hair transplants?

This may well be a basic question, but I was wandering why do people usually have multiple hair transplants? Is it because:

A. The first HT was unable to provide the required number of grafts for decent coverage in the one session so a further HT was planned.

B. The first HT gave a decent coverage but due to ongoing hair loss a further HT was done. If so is there an average number of years when people will have their next HT?

C. Both A and B.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I were to have a further HT when am I best to do this. I'm 35, NW6 and recently had my first HT 3400 FUT. It's only been 6 weeks so I completely understand it's very early to tell the outcome until next year. But I feel I may need a further HT as I may be in the A category. However given my age and limited donor capacity of maybe 3500-4000 grafts would I be better to wait several years to see how my hair loss progresses? If so what age is best to assess this? I guess this is different in every person depending on the rate of hair loss, but I don't think I have progressed much in the past year or 2. I'm just trying to plan if / when I may be best to have a further HT if needed. Obviously if I'm happy with the outcome then great. But if I'm not then would I be better to get another over and done with in the next 18-24 months or wait several years to reassess?

Thanks for any advice.

Both of the scenarios you proposed are possible. Very few guys seem to be in the "one and done" category. There are so many factors at play including; the degree of hair loss, the quality and density of available donor hair, the number of grafts the particular clinic is equipped to move in a single session and whether or not the patient is using medical hair loss treatments like Propecia and Rogaine.

Many patients will end up having at least two procedures before they meet their hair restoration goals. Your hair transplant surgeon will be better equipped to advise you about how to proceed once your current hair transplant matures. He should have discussed a long-term plan with you that may include medically stabilizing your hair loss as well the potential need for future surgeries. But, generally speaking, you can move forward with a second procedure after one year if you are not satisfied with the outcome and you reserve an adequate donor supply for the future.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I was a low nw level and one and done. 1978Matt was one and done and a high nw level. Does that mean we are done done? No. Unless you've reached your final loss level, or close to it, most people have follow up procedures as they lose more native. I've seen procedures last year's though before people come in for touch ups. It really just depends.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

"Hair greed!" ; )

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

What are people's thoughts about whether regular HT's can accelerate MPB? From my experience i think it is best to be satisfied with a good result rather than chase perfection & risk permanent shock loss with small touch ups....

Each procedure requires anaesthetic and a certain amount of trauma to the scalp.

Some patients with a high norwood loss will need more than one procedure to reach their goals or the loss is progressive and not all have "one stop shopping" as I call it.

Cost also is a factor and was for me. I have had multiple surgeries also due to finances being limited and to get where I wanted took a good few years and an often overlooked part but was for me a limiting factor.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Hair greed is definitely a factor. But hair is always in a constant state of flux. This is sometimes due to losing more native hair, a shed, or even the transplanted region not looking as full as it once did.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group