Should I bite the bullet and get a Hair Transplant?

I was 25 in March, I've been fighting this battle since I first really accepted that I was thinning back in oct 2011, jumped onto minoxidil, propecia, and tried everything else. After fighting side effects for years, i finally managed to get past the stigma and now that i now longer suffer with any side effects, ive been on the full 1mg (proscar cut) daily dosage. yet, im still thinning.

It isn't just thinning for me though, I have naturally wavey/curly hair, but because of this, the hair on the top of my head is now a different texture to the sides and the back,

I also straighten my hair (with heat irons, not chemical stuff), but it's just becoming impossible to even style it anymore, but still looks even worse if i leave it natural. I know some people are gonna tell me that the straightners are causing hair loss, but if that was the case, why do i have no loss on the sides or back.

I saw one of the worlds top hair transplant doctors a few months ago, I won't say who because I suppose it isn't really important and I don't want to imply anything negative here, and he said I would be ok to go ahead and have 2000-2200 grafts in the front and some in the crown, but i was trying to play it cautious as I feel that ive definitely thinned more over the last 12 months, since my initial consultation.

The bigger issue though, is my state of mind. I'm a pretty confident guy, on the surface. I don't struggle to talk to people, but I've lost all self esteem, when it comes to how I look. I think about hair constantly, I realise that I look way worse than most guys even 5 years older than me, hair wise, which I believe is hands down the most important physical attribute for a male. It's taking up way too much time in my day, and it's even gotten to the point now where I won't get out of the shower until the mirror is completely steamed up, because i'm scared to see my hair wet. I don't think it's healthy to carry on like this, yes hair transplants are really expensive which was a big part of why i was going to put it off a while longer, but i'm losing the best years of my life here.

Another question is should I consider jumping on to dutasteride instead, or is that just gonna possibly make things worse? I just want this shit to stop.

In terms of family history, my grandpa (moms side) is 86 and has only really started to thin in the last few years, up until then i would say he had a full head of hair. he still does, just started to thin on the top, but hell, for his age, hes lucky to still be alive i guess. his hair at 80 was more than most could hope for. My Dad is a 58 year old NW5A, I suppose. hes definitely not nw6, because he still has hair all throughout the top, and his sides dont go as far down as a true cueball head guy. i guess if my dad was to have 2 sessions, hed get full coverage, and a decent looking hairline.

I think about hair constantly....

In my experience, I still think about hair constantly. That doesn't go away, even after a successful hair transplant. It's part of balding man's psyche I'm afraid to say.

Have you tried shaving it off to see if you like that look? You're 25 which is quite young to start this journey if you're not financially and psychologically prepared to undergo multiple hair transplants.

Pictures? :)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

In my experience, I still think about hair constantly. That doesn't go away, even after a successful hair transplant. It's part of balding man's psyche I'm afraid to say.

Have you tried shaving it off to see if you like that look? You're 25 which is quite young to start this journey if you're not financially and psychologically prepared to undergo multiple hair transplants.

Pictures? :)

Yeah I figured that would be the case, but I was worried 5 years ago too. the only difference now, is that i look worse, and feel worse because of it.

I'll never shave my head, i'm far too stubborn, same as I'll never accept the option of just going bald, even though i've come to accept that it is slowly happening.

I am psychologically prepared, I think. I Just think life is too short to be wasting my 20s, i can afford to justify the cost of transplants, i've been telling myself that they will pay for themselves, with the confidence that will come with it, allowing me to work and earn more money

HI Rich sorry to hear about your anxiety concerning your hair -loss we've all been there man so you have come to the right place ,there are a lot of experienced guys on here but for them to really advise you they would really need to see some clear pics of your current situation ,

Going from how the hair -loss seems to be affecting you and you if can afford it a transplant is certainly an option, 25 is young that's why pics would give us a better idea if you would be better off waiting or not, and of course do your research and take your time

Just realised you have been on this site for a while so you must be fairly informed as I suggested just put up some current pics and lets have a look, I have a brother who sometimes really pisses me off, he periodically stresses about losing his hair it's almost comical as he has a full head of hair and there I am a Norwood 5-6 point I'm trying to make is sometimes someone's self image for whatever reason can be different from the actual reality

Edited by Mick50

Based on what you've said and how it makes you feel, I would do it. Remember, you're asking a largely biased audience here, many of us have had HT. Maybe ask someone you can trust who doesn't suffer from hair loss to even out the advice.

Also pictures would help anyone give good advice...we could look at pictures and straight away think you don't need one.

All good feedback you've been getting on this thread and I echo their comments.

If you're not able to wait any longer to get your hair restored, then be sure to go with a physician whom you trust and he/she takes your young age into consideration.

How long have you been able to take the 1mg finasteride on a daily basis?

Thanks for the comments all. Well you can see pictures and videos in my hair restoration blog, linked to this profile.

Here are some screenshots from the most recent video i shot about a week ago, hair is wet at this point, not long got out the shower.

Keeping in mind i wear my hair forward (think bieber, but without the juvenile hairline), straightened, but now its getting thinner on the sides of the hairline, i cant wear a nice thick fringe/bangs anymore. rather a thin front contrasting to the rest of my head.

5b32e7c10ae73_ScreenShot2015-08-14at10_48_24pm.jpg.70340f72e573b4bf5ce58e90f56ca21f.jpg

5b32e7c11ab0c_ScreenShot2015-08-14at10_49_17pm.png.89777f08a110862467cfa84f4779cdf0.png

5b32e7c1bef57_ScreenShot2015-08-14at10_50_05pm.png.f5121da950808417de0cc42d6bd571cb.png

5b32e7c22fc58_ScreenShot2015-08-14at10_50_30pm.png.a353edf77a7fab93e288229c5f47295a.png

5b32e7c2537d7_ScreenShot2015-08-14at10_50_50pm.png.c3720888e62175fafed6bb254724fb36.png

All good feedback you've been getting on this thread and I echo their comments.

If you're not able to wait any longer to get your hair restored, then be sure to go with a physician whom you trust and he/she takes your young age into consideration.

How long have you been able to take the 1mg finasteride on a daily basis?

I was on and off it for several years, and never at the full dosage. I've been splitting proscar at a 1mg daily dosage now for a year. i don't think i've missed a day. no side effects anymore.

Hey rich

I'm sorry to hear hairlosse is affecting you this way as I know how that feels!! It's obsessive and tiresome!! I also know what you mean about losing a hair line as without that central core of hair to style even having decent coverage being it mid scalp and crown you can't get any sort of decent looking style you always look as if your coveting your balding!! I think if you really need it doing then go a head just make sure you chose surgeons wisely and the type of procedure you want/ require! Don't be price driven or go to someone who wants to max out your grafts at such a young age because hair loss is progressive and meds only really slow it down! I had fue 2500 is grafts and I'm really happy with the outcome but I was 38 when I had my procedure having said that my hairline was pretty much done by the time I was 20 and my hair loss hadn't progressed that much in the next 15 -18 years and I wasn't on proper is or min and didn't start proprcia until I was 37!! Chose a good ethical Dr who is recommended here any questions just as! I'm from the UK also!!

mynameisrich--

I can sympathize w you as I was in your shoes when I was 25, thinning hairline and starting to form a crown bald spot. But I was starting to diffuse thin (density going down all over) as well. I had a hard time styling my hair every day, conscious of how it would look from different angles, etc.

The problem as I see it now (hindsight is perfect , as they say), is I had a wrong frame of reference. I was chasing who I looked like 5 years ago, the younger me. I didn't realize that I still had a head full of more hair than many men in their 30s , and I just needed to make sure it was styled properly. This is where cutting your hair a little shorter can help to see if you like that look. Also start to grow a beard or a stubble , depending on your face 's shape , it may give your face a little more length and make you look more mature and professional. Spend some time with a hair / image consultant to see if they can give you tips on styling etc . That few hundred bucks may save you spending thousands on an HT.

Then finally at age 28, I decided to get a HT -- focused only on the hairline , kept it high and mature (30s age look) . If there is one piece of advice I can give you to follow over everything else -- don't waste a single follicle of hair on your crown at this early stage , until you know your hair loss pattern. Run away from any doctor who says he will sprinkle a bit here and a bit there depending on whatever you , "the patient " wants.

As patients at that early age , we know jack s... t (pardon my expression) . We need the doctor to advice us based on their vast knowledge and experience . I won't mention my first HT doc here but you can look it up based on my other posts, he gave me very sound advice 11 years ago and one I am still grateful to him for.

Also know this -- once you start down this path , you will need more HTs . So be prepared for that. The first HT is always a big step, but then you get caught up in what we call here " hair greed " and also for others like me, a means to continue chasing progressive hair loss . As for me , I have been through 3 HTs over 11 years , and may still get a fourth one in a few months , which will hopefully be my final ( i hope).

Last point --- we are always more critical of our looks than others are. Other things in life like how you conduct yourself, how you come across, how much $$ you have , have a bigger influence on our circle of friends, acquaintances, and love interests . The only problem occurs when our self image starts to affect things like "how you conduct yourself, how you come across, how much $$ you have" . Hence if you want a hair transplant to boost your confidence and have the means to do so, go for it. Don't wait and let life pass you by. But go into it with your eyes fully open. Best,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mynameisrich--

I can sympathize w you as I was in your shoes when I was 25, thinning hairline and starting to form a crown bald spot. But I was starting to diffuse thin (density going down all over) as well. I had a hard time styling my hair every day, conscious of how it would look from different angles, etc.

The problem as I see it now (hindsight is perfect , as they say), is I had a wrong frame of reference. I was chasing who I looked like 5 years ago, the younger me. I didn't realize that I still had a head full of more hair than many men in their 30s , and I just needed to make sure it was styled properly. This is where cutting your hair a little shorter can help to see if you like that look. Also start to grow a beard or a stubble , depending on your face 's shape , it may give your face a little more length and make you look more mature and professional. Spend some time with a hair / image consultant to see if they can give you tips on styling etc . That few hundred bucks may save you spending thousands on an HT.

Then finally at age 28, I decided to get a HT -- focused only on the hairline , kept it high and mature (30s age look) . If there is one piece of advice I can give you to follow over everything else -- don't waste a single follicle of hair on your crown at this early stage , until you know your hair loss pattern. Run away from any doctor who says he will sprinkle a bit here and a bit there depending on whatever you , "the patient " wants.

As patients at that early age , we know jack s... t (pardon my expression) . We need the doctor to advice us based on their vast knowledge and experience . I won't mention my first HT doc here but you can look it up based on my other posts, he gave me very sound advice 11 years ago and one I am still grateful to him for.

Also know this -- once you start down this path , you will need more HTs . So be prepared for that. The first HT is always a big step, but then you get caught up in what we call here " hair greed " and also for others like me, a means to continue chasing progressive hair loss . As for me , I have been through 3 HTs over 11 years , and may still get a fourth one in a few months , which will hopefully be my final ( i hope).

Last point --- we are always more critical of our looks than others are. Other things in life like how you conduct yourself, how you come across, how much $$ you have , have a bigger influence on our circle of friends, acquaintances, and love interests . The only problem occurs when our self image starts to affect things like "how you conduct yourself, how you come across, how much $$ you have" . Hence if you want a hair transplant to boost your confidence and have the means to do so, go for it. Don't wait and let life pass you by. But go into it with your eyes fully open. Best,

Thanks for your words, man. I checked out your pictures and i hope you get great results with your latest and next HT if you decide to go for it, things look good though, no doubt much better than things would have looked if you let nature run its ugly course.

I can't grow a beard. shitty genetics, nowhere near enough beard density to pull off anything that doesn't look scruffy, so i'm just leaving that for another decade, probably haha.

Yep, youve hit the nail on the head. I know nobody else really gives a shit about my hair, but i've come to accept that i'm always gonna care, and thats all that's important.

I think I can see myself going for it in the next few years, depending on when i really can't take it anymore

Hey rich

I'm sorry to hear hairlosse is affecting you this way as I know how that feels!! It's obsessive and tiresome!! I also know what you mean about losing a hair line as without that central core of hair to style even having decent coverage being it mid scalp and crown you can't get any sort of decent looking style you always look as if your coveting your balding!! I think if you really need it doing then go a head just make sure you chose surgeons wisely and the type of procedure you want/ require! Don't be price driven or go to someone who wants to max out your grafts at such a young age because hair loss is progressive and meds only really slow it down! I had fue 2500 is grafts and I'm really happy with the outcome but I was 38 when I had my procedure having said that my hairline was pretty much done by the time I was 20 and my hair loss hadn't progressed that much in the next 15 -18 years and I wasn't on proper is or min and didn't start proprcia until I was 37!! Chose a good ethical Dr who is recommended here any questions just as! I'm from the UK also!!

Thanks dude, I'd love to see your before and after pictures/thread if you have any?