SMP Looks Buzz Look Client 1

This client had a hairline but needed to fill in density behind it to the crown. After pictures are post 2 sessions of temporary SMP. He will return in September for a followup session.

AlBeforeampAfterfront.jpg.1a2ae74b5b4fa637e4275abcdffbdb07.jpg

Albampaback.jpg.e1f84b1a84cfe80eda28e2308e53b49f.jpg

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Wow. Excellent work. Thanks for sharing!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

This client had a hairline but needed to fill in density behind it to the crown. After pictures are post 2 sessions of temporary SMP. He will return in September for a followup session.

This is a very poor result. The first photo shows that the hairline is extremely crooked, and the color is way too light and he needs more density on top.

The second photo shows the crown and is a very poor result. The back right side of his head is much denser than the left, and you can easily see his huge Horseshoe bald spot bc it is not concealed at all.

I'm sorry, but honestly these are terrible results. I hope this was a free treatment. Seeing trico results like these make me appreciate the provider who did my smp treatment even more.

Edited by BaldKen2

Hi BaldKen,

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that two posters (one being a former forum mod and now HT surgeon), both felt this was a great result, while you felt it was "terrible." As I learned long ago, you cannot please everyone!

To address your critiques/concerns:

"The first photo shows that the hairline is extremely crooked"

As I noted, this is the client's natural, existing hairline. He did not want the hairline altered in any way, shape, or form. It's the one he's had most of his adult life. He simply asked me to work behind it.

"...the color is way too light and he needs more density on top."

I agree. This was after two passes. As noted, he is coming back in September for a third pass, as is part of his package plan, to add density. Perhaps I should have waited to post his results until the finished product was available, but the client was very happy and I've booked other clients based on his pictures.

"The back right side of his head is much denser than the left, and you can easily see his huge Horseshoe bald spot bc it is not concealed at all."

Again, he is returning in September to add density. The crown is certainly the toughest area to conceal with SMP because that DHT-resistant hair/ring in the back is so much stronger and thicker. You can see we shaved him down closer in his after pictures to try and blend it even better. I believe we did a good job concealing the crown as is, but as previously stated, I agree he can use even more density, and he will get it.

So, I'll be posting more results soon on this forum that maybe will have you too exclaiming....

"Wow. Excellent work." --Dr. Blake Bloxham

And...

"Nice touch, total bad ass." --aaron1234

Until then, best regards!

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

the color is way too light and he needs more density on top.

Maybe it's just me, but I really like the color/density levels. It's subtle, blends well with his skin tone. Go too dark with the color and it becomes a bit more conspicuous, especially for a caucasian. I think there's some good artistry going on here. ;)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

"Maybe it's just me, but I really like the color/density levels. It's subtle, blends well with his skin tone. Go too dark with the color and it becomes a bit more conspicuous, especially for a caucasian. I think there's some good artistry going on here."

Thanks again, aaron1234. Also to note, this is immediate post-SMP. So there is some redness throughout the scalp. Once everything settles I find the SMP will intensify a bit in color.

The SMP Buzz Look effect is a tricky business. You need it to be dramatic enough that it makes a pleasing aesthetic difference, but not overdone to where it looks unnatural and odd. I believe the best approach to achieving this is with the tiniest dot size, at proper insertion depth. Then you need to factor in a hairline design that will look realistic while matching the client's desires. I also think it's best to achieve results spaced over three sessions. This allows you the chance to see how the pigment reacts (it varies, sometimes, from person to person), and to start soft and then add.

Hi BaldKen,

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that two posters (one being a former forum mod and now HT surgeon), both felt this was a great result, while you felt it was "terrible." As I learned long ago, you cannot please everyone!

To address your critiques/concerns:

"The first photo shows that the hairline is extremely crooked"

As I noted, this is the client's natural, existing hairline. He did not want the hairline altered in any way, shape, or form. It's the one he's had most of his adult life. He simply asked me to work behind it.

"...the color is way too light and he needs more density on top."

I agree. This was after two passes. As noted, he is coming back in September for a third pass, as is part of his package plan, to add density. Perhaps I should have waited to post his results until the finished product was available, but the client was very happy and I've booked other clients based on his pictures.

"The back right side of his head is much denser than the left, and you can easily see his huge Horseshoe bald spot bc it is not concealed at all."

Again, he is returning in September to add density. The crown is certainly the toughest area to conceal with SMP because that DHT-resistant hair/ring in the back is so much stronger and thicker. You can see we shaved him down closer in his after pictures to try and blend it even better. I believe we did a good job concealing the crown as is, but as previously stated, I agree he can use even more density, and he will get it.

So, I'll be posting more results soon on this forum that maybe will have you too exclaiming....

"Wow. Excellent work." --Dr. Blake Bloxham

And...

"Nice touch, total bad ass." --aaron1234

Until then, best regards!

No worries Bud! I figured you would appreciate HONEST Feedback from someone with an unbiased POV, and from someone who is not just telling you what u want to hear.

I'm sure you did the best that you could. If anything, the subpar results you displayed serve to prove that Micropigmentation and Tricopigmentation are more difficult to do than people realize and this field is not for everyone. But everyone has to start somewhere, maybe your skills will improve.

I also hope that at this clients next session appointment you are able to improve his poor trico results. Until then, kind regards to you as well champ!

I personally think the difference is huge (but very subtle), especially in the picture from the front. Excellent work.

Once he does his 3rd treatment, how frequently will he have to have this touched up?

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hairthere,

I think the guy got a good improvement, well done.

You know you are always going to have your knockers so I wouldn't worry. Just draw off the good feedback you get from patients and bloggers

Well done mate and congrats on your new business. I'm going to be going back to Dr feller for another ht in the next few months I hope. Whilst there would love to pop down and find out more about smp, as this is my last procedure and hopefully looking to get smp into my scar.

All the very best

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

With a beard like that who needs hair. Jealous of that bad boy.

I actually thought it was one of the better smp procedures I've seen. Less is more imo. Natural, not to dark, etc. Does he still look balding? Yes, but the face is framed and it looks natural.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

Totally agree. Phrases like "less is more" and words like "subtle" are compliments in the SMP world -- in my humble opinion. It's easy to "over do it" with SMP. The results that impress me the most are the ones that do the following:

1) create a broken up, irregular hairline; 2) create a less dense micro hairline and increase the density with pigmentation in what we consider the "macro hairline" in the frontal scalp; 3) use temporary ink.

This one hits on all cylinders for me.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Wow, I think this is pretty cool! Don't know what it looks like real close up but on the pics I think it's pretty cool for those who want to keep the shaven look but have it look like a choice rather than a necessity!

Thanks all for the positive comments.

The most important feedback of course was from the client who was very happy. And trust me it takes a lot more than some anonymous forum poster to rattle me.

Irishsailor,

Sure, let me know when you come to town and we can meet up at some point.

Edited by hairthere

Hi Fridays,

Thank you. These are immediately post-2 consecutive days of treatment. The client will return in September for one more touch-up treatment. Fade and ultimately disappearance times vary based upon the person's lifestyle (exposure to sun, chlorine, etc.) as well their own system (the body absorbs and expels our pigment through natural elimination process). We advise our clients that fade times usually start between 1-2 years, however, we have seen the pigment stay vibrant even longer.