So confused...

I'm sure you guys have been following my posts and all. Im a few days shy of being 4 months post op and my hair still looks worse than it did pre-op.. the hairline hasn't completely filled back in.. and there are very patchy spots. Even worse, things seemed to have been getting better, only to have the transplanted area seemingly thin out some. Not sure if using a concealer had anything to do with that. The area that was worked on is very evident compared to my native hair.. and it catches peoples eye in the sun. After my last procedure, people used to comment on how natural the work was and how I def. didn't need any more work. I, on the other hand, saw problems and wanted to fix it. Now, instead of "you don't need a transplant"... people comment on how I'm losing my hair. Great!! I do have to say that in night light, however, people notice a lot more hair and compliment the work. Go figure. After thousands of grafts and several procedures, I thought things would be amazing and now I'm just looking at my hair hoping things are gonna improve. Just thought I'd share.

I'm sure you guys have been following my posts and all. Im a few days shy of being 4 months post op and my hair still looks worse than it did pre-op.. the hairline hasn't completely filled back in.. and there are very patchy spots. Even worse, things seemed to have been getting better, only to have the transplanted area seemingly thin out some. Not sure if using a concealer had anything to do with that. The area that was worked on is very evident compared to my native hair.. and it catches peoples eye in the sun. After my last procedure, people used to comment on how natural the work was and how I def. didn't need any more work. I, on the other hand, saw problems and wanted to fix it. Now, instead of "you don't need a transplant"... people comment on how I'm losing my hair. Great!! I do have to say that in night light, however, people notice a lot more hair and compliment the work. Go figure. After thousands of grafts and several procedures, I thought things would be amazing and now I'm just looking at my hair hoping things are gonna improve. Just thought I'd share.

Im a few days shy of being 4 months post op and my hair still looks worse than it did pre-op.. the hairline hasn't completely filled back in.. and there are very patchy spots. Even worse, things seemed to have been getting better, only to have the transplanted area seemingly thin out some

Scorpian,

1. I truly feel your pain. icon_frown.gif

2. Have you been taking pictures at regular intervals to objectively view the development?

3. Are you taking minoxidil and finasteride to aid in the hairloss?

4. Is it possible that you are experiencing some shock loss also at this point?

Not sure if using a concealer had anything to do with that.

5. Doubt it.

After my last procedure, people used to comment on how natural the work was and how I def. didn't need any more work.

6. Many people believe that growth rates for multiple sessions are supposed to be the same. Some people believe that in subsequent surgeries, the transplanted hair grows slower.

Cheer up! Things can only get better.

take care...

Hey mmche..thanks for the support icon_smile.gif. It's just kinda tough going out in bright sunlight sometimes, showing off scalp that's visibly thin compared to the rest of my head... My problem is that my hair is coarse (which worked in my advantage in previous transplants in terms of giving off illusion of density).. but when you have half your scalp showing through and half of it covered in thick coarse hair.. it's just odd. The only way to get around it would be to shave my head to like a number 1 cut, but then my strip scar would show.

I've used up a lot of grafts to make this as perfect as possible... and in hopes of reaching "perfection".. it almost seems like I went several steps backwards. That's kinda what gets me the most. I am still hoping that things will improve so I'm not trying to state things prematurely. I am documenting my progress as I've posted some pictures before and will continue to do so.

To answer some of your other questions, I am using minoxidil, but it's causing a lot of flaking of my skin. I think I'm gonna lower it to once a day instead of 2x a day. I've also been on Propecia for over 5 years.

I hope you're right about the rate of growth varying between surgeries. My main problem is not rate of growth of the transplanted hair.. it's the shocked hair that I'm hoping all returns (all of which were previously transplanted hairs).

scorpian,i feel your pain. ialso felt that i looked better the day before my 2nd ht.i had some shockloss to the previoucly transplanted hair.and the new procedre seems to be taking longer to grow. so i keep 2nd guessing myself. idont look bald anymore but ishouldnt have to strategicaly comb my hair.thats what bothers me .but i always look for your posts because were at about the same time any good luck

Scorpian,

I can read the discouragement you're feeling in your words. Frankly, it reminds me of exactly how I was feeling after my first and second hair transplant between a month and a half to 4 months.

I know it's hard to keep things in perspective when all you want is your hair back and thicker than it was before, but 4 months really is extremely early on in the game. Shocked hair can take up to a year to fully return and transplanted hair grows at different times and rates also taking a full year to mature.

The good news is, in looking at your pictures on other threads, it does appear that you're back on the road to recovery. I see improvements in your hair from 3 to 4 months. For those who want to see his progression photos over the last month, click here.

I know it's tough, but try to hang in there. Concealers wouldn't have caused this - it's just part of the natural process.

Hang in there my friend.

Bill

Hey buddy, I know it seems awfull, but it's not as bad as you think! I too am at around 4 months, from my second HT, I had no shock on the receipient area, but plenty in the donor! I too felt like I had made a mistake....But it's all coming back strong...It just takes time...You got to stop obssesing...it makes things worse...I'm certain you will be fine...Keep on smiling icon_smile.gif

Just a thought from the peanut gallery....

Hey Bill, this is my third procedure.. and I actually never felt this way after my first and second ones.. partly because I never had shock loss in those two occasions. I agree that everything takes time, but since I never experienced this before, shock loss that is, it's hard to judge what the final result is going to be like. Hopefully you're right and things will continue to get better.

To be honest there is a definite improvement between months 2 and 4. Your on the road to recovery now so just hang in there.

You've gone down this route now so you have no choice but to stick it out.

Take up a hobby, try and think about something else, But I can assure you that in 6 months time you'll know it was all worthwhile.

Good luck.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Scorpian, there is definitely an improvement from month 1 to month 4. Try using couvre, its excellent product. It helped me through the worst of the early months ("doldrums").In a few months you wont be scrutinizing the situation anymore.

TC.

juanc

1000 grafts with dr rosanelli

1000 grafts with Dr. Peterson

1600 (july 17) with Dr. Ochs

• 1 year later...

Dear all , (and Scorpian)

I am desperately looking for some photos 5 months onwards as i have exactly same case of shockloss (first time hair transplant 2000 FUE at HDC). I am 2 months post-op , I had a bit more hair in the front compared to Scorpian (sorry if i missed you name) but now I clearly see it has thinned a lot compared to pre-op. My hair grows quickly so I manage to bring my middle hair to the front so that people won't notice. I am 26 years old, I have my exams which my career depends on in 3 weeks and I feel kinda suicidal.

Yes, im overeacting .....

I would like to post photos .......but really.......I just feel of jumping from the window.

I am not the first , and I am not the last.

Thanks in advance

I know that what I am saying may not affect how you feel, but I think it looks great and it will only get better!

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

sorry to say this, but stress wont help losing the hair you have, Nick.

But it seems on how stressed you are that at the rate you are going you are going to be completely hairless all over. haha.

hope things go better for you.

cheers.