Beard Hair Transplant by Dr. Rahal

Here is an interesting case...

The patient was having trouble growing a full beard. It appeared thin and patchy, especially when longer. To make his beard appear fuller, Dr. Rahal transplanted 1905 grafts via FUT. The patient can now sport the "5 o'clock shadow" he always wanted. The after photos are 5-days growth.

Any questions, please let us know.

before_3.JPG.bf8907db194556a1feda09f7c980ab07.JPG

before_4.JPG.8032aee83bccbb18172ec675636a44be.JPG

post_1.JPG.7450f349cbae59791038ba51bc3cb149.JPG

post_2.jpg.79c30e14e9a6f0ca9e7eaadab67b03d5.jpg

post_3.JPG.7c50f639054e08c92e18e95890bc1d1a.JPG

post_4.JPG.4bf86b0110597308f4572ecbfc5fec25.JPG

post_5.JPG.cb2ff2062e1fa29ae62bc5390baa51ad.JPG

after_1.jpg.82bf0270209f02c91f8d77e8103adb58.jpg

after_2.jpg.b00c0622e0e42e24775fcca140103328.jpg

after_3.jpg.9b090541b441c4710fb255cd27e02492.jpg

before_1.JPG.4c4591ca603beaa6c7fe20bdeb4295bb.JPG

before_2.JPG.dc91431ef90aed72b469f1ff938b8c31.JPG

Edited by RahalHairTransplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

Incredibly interesting. I've seen few cases of a mustache touchup, but never so many grafts to the beard area. I assume he doesn't really have any MPB that needs to be addressed? I have the same beard issue but don't want to use the grafts on the face; kind of a luxury.

The is the second beard transplant case presented recently and with both I believe that the before pictures look more aesthetic than the after. Unfortunately these results do not mimic nature and frankly look weird.

I have to wonder if patients such as these suffer from a form of body dysmorphic syndrome.

Edited by hairweare

It does look very angullar like it was drawn with a ruler

The is the second beard transplant case presented recently and with both I believe that the before pictures look more aesthetic than the after. Unfortunately these results do not mimic nature and frankly look weird.

I have to wonder if patients such as there suffer from a form of body dysmorphic syndrome.

Where does the donor hair come from?

Same as any other transplant - back of his head.

Because this is beard rather than head I imagine grafts were all cut into singles. With that in mind, he really only used '1000 grafts' in the traditional sense as most grafts on the head usually have 2 hairs on average.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I actually think the after results look really natural. The pics aren't particularly clear, but I'd never have noticed anything amiss, and I usually have a good eye for this stuff.

Really nicely done, if you ask me.

hope that he has more than enough donor hair left to cover any future hair loss. I guess some guys really do have luck on their side. I need to go in the other direction and save my precious beard, chest hair, and possibly my pubes from downstairs for future procedures

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Some additional info: the procedure was in 2008 and mostly singles were used. More answers below. Hope this helps.

hope that he has more than enough donor hair left to cover any future hair loss.
The patient does not suffer from hair loss and his family history does not indicate that his hair loss will progress.

Unfortunately these results do not mimic nature and frankly look weird.
It's a very natural shape and was requested by the patient. Are you looking the immediate post-op pics? I doubt you would pick up on the fact that he had a beard hair transplant if you were having a conversation with him. In fact, I guarantee it :)

I have to wonder if patients such as these suffer from a form of body dysmorphic syndrome.
Why? Because he wanted a thicker looking beard? How is this any different than getting a hair transplant? The patients wanted a thicker beard, which he achieved. He looks great!
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

Beard hair transplantation is a growing trend. When I still worked in Vancouver (in an office) I was interviewed by one of the local stations about this very issue. The procedure itself is not new and has been performed for several years but with the growing "hipster" movement at the time the procedure was getting a lot more attention by the media. There is no "BDD" issue for these guys, at least the majority of them. If the work looks natural, which it does in this case, and the patient doesn't have a need or a desire for the same hair to be placed on the top of the scalp to address balding, then I see nothing wrong with this. It's a good procedure and in this case it is justified.

To each his own but a beard hair transplant???? Many men's beards are patchy and that's just a given but again who am I to judge? All I know is that I could care two shits about my beard. It just shows you that we are all so different in what we perceive as normal, attractive, or needed.

Edited by Cant decide

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I love these results, very natural. And I'm totally down with beard transplants as well. My only concern/question is that when the patient does a clean shave do the recipient incision scars show?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group