Strip vs FUE vs mFUE - Dr. Alan Feller Great Neck, NY

Dr feller, it's nice to see your keeping up the good fight. Even though I've had both types of surgery with world class surgeons, I still believe strip is the safest option for mega sessions.

It's just a shame other docs dont join this discussion and be upfront and honest about the short falls of fue.

The fact they don't in my opinion, just backs up everything you have said.

Well done sir.

See you in October .

Irish,

Couldn't agree more with you that strip is the safest and most reliable for mega sessions. Because it simply is. This is not conjecture or opinion, it just is.

The lack of FUE doctor participation is deafening, isn't it?

See you in October.

Best.

"I consulted with many doctors, some who do both fut and fue, and virtually everyone recommended fue over fut."

Wow! Really? Virtually every one?! Could you please list here the names of those doctors? Were any of them recommended by this community? I'd love to know their experience level in both FUT and FUE. And perhaps you could ask them to come onto this topic and join the discussion.

Two are recommended here and three are not. Untimately, I picked a non affiliated doctor. The only one who pushed fut over fue was a doctor from dr. I don't want to put any doctor in a uncomfortable spot so I don't want to call anyone out.

Two are recommended here and three are not. Untimately, I picked a non affiliated doctor. The only one who pushed fut over fue was a doctor from dr. I don't want to put any doctor in a uncomfortable spot so I don't want to call anyone out.

I should think these doctors would be happy to stand by their recommendations and take the time to educate the public as to their reasoning. In fact, as recommended doctors they are required to do so by agreement.

I would like to ask you if when you called all these doctors did you simply describe your hairloss and nothing more and then they recommended FUE over FUT; or, did you lead them and say you wanted an HT but no scar or something like that?

I should think these doctors would be happy to stand by their recommendations and take the time to educate the public as to their reasoning. In fact, as recommended doctors they are required to do so by agreement.

I would like to ask you if when you called all these doctors did you simply describe your hairloss and nothing more and then they recommended FUE over FUT; or, did you lead them and say you wanted an HT but no scar or something like that?

One was virtual consultation and I always asked about fut vs fue. Yes, I'm certain I mentioned my concern of a scar. One doctor(not recommended here) explained to me why he stopped doing fut etc. Basically he feels it is outdated. Only thr dominican doctor said fut would give me a better result. Everyone else was confident that fue would deliver an excellent result without a scar and still leave plenty of donor hair for the future.

The doctor who was anti-FUT is not recommended here. Enough said about him.

As for everyone else you wrote:

"Everyone else was confident that fue would deliver an excellent result without a scar and still leave plenty of donor hair for the future. "

It's nice that they were "confident" of future results, but that word means nothing legally. Did they inform you in writing of the lower yields produced by FUE along with the greater damage to the donor area? Did they tell you in writing that FUE is considered secondary to Strip surgery?

The doctor who was anti-FUT is not recommended here. Enough said about him.

As for everyone else you wrote:

"Everyone else was confident that fue would deliver an excellent result without a scar and still leave plenty of donor hair for the future. "

It's nice that they were "confident" of future results, but that word means nothing legally. Did they inform you in writing of the lower yields produced by FUE along with the greater damage to the donor area? Did they tell you in writing that FUE is considered secondary to Strip surgery?

I never received anything in writing of the sort from anyone. No one mentioned any of the issues you mentioned during the consult. As to the doctor who was anti-fut, he did my surgery so I am hoping everything turns out well lol(everything looks good thus far and surgery itself was a pleasant experience.)

If the doctor who did surgery on you did not provide that information then you did not receive informed consent. You had your surgery outside of the US so I don't know what legal impact that has.

I also hope you heal and grow well. Update us on this site. Do you have photos to show at this point?

With all due respect, I do not view the absence of pro-FUE practiioners - or pro FUT, or any combination of same - as any barometer of approval or disapproval of this thread or your practice. This thread is all about your practice, procedure, and professional learned beliefs. It's a post on a forum, not a moderated professional debate.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

With all due respect, I do not view the absence of pro-FUE practiioners - or pro FUT, or any combination of same - as any barometer of approval or disapproval of this thread or your practice. This thread is all about your practice, procedure, and professional learned beliefs. It's a post on a forum, not a moderated professional debate.

I'm sorry Voxman, this thread is not just about me, my practice, or learned beliefs. With over 15,000 hits and hundreds of posts it clearly goes beyond that. It also touches a nerve in every FUE advocate out there. You included.

This thread is so active because it makes the claim that "the emperor is not wearing any clothes". And I am quite qualified to make that claim.

But that's ok. I've been busy behind the scenes contacting FUE doctors and getting the truth from them in no uncertain terms. I'll publish the results in another thread. You probably aren't going to like the results. This should have been done a long time ago.

I'm starting to like and respect Dr Feller's passion. I literally check these threads a couple times a day to see if he has posted. I'm excited for the follow up thread. Love the debate and education.

"I consulted with many doctors, some who do both fut and fue, and virtually everyone recommended fue over fut."

Wow! Really? Virtually every one?! Could you please list here the names of those doctors? Were any of them recommended by this community? I'd love to know their experience level in both FUT and FUE. And perhaps you could ask them to come onto this topic and join the discussion.

Dr Feller, I can and will name one FUE surgeon. When I performed an online consultation with Dr Maras, I specifically stated that I wanted to get FUT. Below is an extract of the e-mail I received back from Alex where he clearly states that Dr Maras will prefer to perform FUE without any of the disclaimers you mentioned. At no point in my initial e-mail did I state I wanted FUE or no scar. I already had FUT for my 1st procedure. What do you think?

"

I have presented your case to Dr Maras earlier and for optimum coverage he would require approximately 2500 grafts (or maximum in a two consecutive day session) that will allow him to restore the hairline and area behind it with high density. You will be able to discuss specific hairline design and height prior to the procedure with him. The reason such number is required is because he will need to match the cosmetic density of your existing hair and because at the frontal 0.5cm of the hairline we use only single hair follicles mimicking nature at approximately 65-70 grafts per cm2.

How much work can be done as well as the final result depends on your donor capacity, quality and texture of your donor hair. I do not see any issues regarding this from the photos sent in fact are very encouraging as your donor hair looks of very good quality however Dr Maras prefers to perform FUE in your case in order to ensure the harvesting of the grafts is the appropriate required for your case and I will explain. He wants to cherry pick the exact number of singles required from your donor without the need of separating doubles or trebles and cherry pick the doubles and trebles when restoring further back from the hairline. The second main reason that he wants to perform FUE in your case is the increase risk of the new scar to stretch as it will be the second time.

"

I'm sorry Voxman, this thread is not just about me, my practice, or learned beliefs. With over 15,000 hits and hundreds of posts it clearly goes beyond that. It also touches a nerve in every FUE advocate out there. You included.

This thread is so active because it makes the claim that "the emperor is not wearing any clothes". And I am quite qualified to make that claim.

But that's ok. I've been busy behind the scenes contacting FUE doctors and getting the truth from them in no uncertain terms. I'll publish the results in another thread. You probably aren't going to like the results. This should have been done a long time ago.

Myself haven't been clocking how many hits this thread has got to date, something which Dr feller has closely monitor....funny that huh? But guess its doing well for his SEO status.

More so I think we are all guilty of buying into your FUT V FUT wars you publically hate FUE we get it Dr Feller but your tone is what I think & proberly everybody else well most has a bad taste in there mouths.

If I just got FUE last wk & read & seen Videos to most of the mumbo jumbo you come out with I would be crappin in my pants & saying what the hell have I done to myself.

You on the other hand don't seem to think that there are such Pts out there & if you do, you don't give a rats ass what emotional rollorcoaster they are going to be on the next 12/18 mths.....like these men & women want to have more stress put on them Dr Feller?

I see your well into what you do & you come across as Dr Fellers way or the highway...your right & everyone is wrong.....we say its a blue day you say Nope its not its a grey day.

It seems nomatter what anyone would put across to you that you take it like a personal attack when the truth is that people want to challenge Drs & the science but you are like playing God with peoples scalps.

Again with your tone do you really blame folk for being the way they are against you?

I say your doing really well on your SEO status you must have the same PR management of Donald Trump because its the shock & ore statements you come out with, which rubs people up the wrong way.

Dr. Feller your really not doing yourself or the practice of science any favors here it must be said.

Dr Feller there is choices & notice the words Choice/S but to RAM your personal Op down people gops it over & behond of what your doing here & you fully know that.

Is this really a education for all? I don't think so because this all seems to me a Feller freak show.

I just wished you toned it down a few if only for respect for Pts who just had under gone FUE surgery.

Dr Feller I don't have to tell you there is more than several ways to skin a cat not just 1 as you clearly make out time after time after time....getting old now.

There is parts of the flaws in fue that Dr feller is trying to explain to people,that was explained to myself by Dr Lorenzo.

I don't see this as trying to talk people out of having fue, just more about making sure people fully understand there's flaws and no surgery is bomb proof.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

There is parts of the flaws in fue that Dr feller is trying to explain to people,that was explained to myself by Dr Lorenzo.

I don't see this as trying to talk people out of having fue, just more about making sure people fully understand there's flaws and no surgery is bomb proof.

Talking people out of FUE is very much a under statement going on this thread.

Maybe Feller or blake don't put weight into the "clubs" stats but ask them what the "club" results was when they ask Pts when they walked into a Clinic how many Pts was put off by FUE & bullied into FUT instead.

I tell you over 60% of Pts.

Its the classic ver of "bait & switch" but that will proberly be denied by Dr Feller there again he has only one meal on the menu anyways & a big sign outside his Clinic FUT only but we are are trying this new thing called mFUE which the jury is still out but till then let's do FUT & we talk more later on about mFUE next year.

I'm starting to like and respect Dr Feller's passion. I literally check these threads a couple times a day to see if he has posted. I'm excited for the follow up thread. Love the debate and education.
Weird I feel the exact opposite. The info is interesting. The way in which it is delivered is off-putting. Edited by MAGNUMpi

Before reading this forum, I was definitely a victim of FUE myopia and hadn't once considered FUT. However, as a young guy in need of a large HT with fine, blonde hairs, several of the HT surgeons I have contacted have recommended going for FUT. Notably, these are surgeons who perform both techniques. None of the FUE surgeons (several of whom are on here) I approached said anything about fibrous scarring, less donor area etc, even when I mentioned that FUT had been recommended due to hair type.

As it stands, I'd go for FUT at the moment, but I would love to hear a well informed or professional opinion on the following - 1) how short can one realistically have the hair to avoid scarring being noticeable? 2) How long following the procedure before one can lift weights & play a contact sport (rugby) 3) How would a 4000 graft scar look? Where would it be taken from, which shape, length etc. Is it even possible to answer these questions?

Before reading this forum, I was definitely a victim of FUE myopia and hadn't once considered FUT. However, as a young guy in need of a large HT with fine, blonde hairs, several of the HT surgeons I have contacted have recommended going for FUT. Notably, these are surgeons who perform both techniques. None of the FUE surgeons (several of whom are on here) I approached said anything about fibrous scarring, less donor area etc, even when I mentioned that FUT had been recommended due to hair type.

As it stands, I'd go for FUT at the moment, but I would love to hear a well informed or professional opinion on the following - 1) how short can one realistically have the hair to avoid scarring being noticeable? 2) How long following the procedure before one can lift weights & play a contact sport (rugby) 3) How would a 4000 graft scar look? Where would it be taken from, which shape, length etc. Is it even possible to answer these questions?

Are you currently on propecia? As a young guy, it is very important to save as much of your hair as possible. The FUE vs FUT thing in interesting. There are plenty of people here who have had multiple FUEs surgeries and look great. Would they have been better served going via FUT? Idk and I think that is a matter of personal preference. Can you deal with the linear scar and the possibility of it being visible? I had been told that a guard 4 is the lowest I could possibly go with FUT. So, I decided not to take the chance and I went FUE. Talk to as many people as possible

Dr Feller, I can and will name one FUE surgeon. When I performed an online consultation with Dr Maras, I specifically stated that I wanted to get FUT. Below is an extract of the e-mail I received back from Alex where he clearly states that Dr Maras will prefer to perform FUE without any of the disclaimers you mentioned. At no point in my initial e-mail did I state I wanted FUE or no scar. I already had FUT for my 1st procedure. What do you think?

"

I have presented your case to Dr Maras earlier and for optimum coverage he would require approximately 2500 grafts (or maximum in a two consecutive day session) that will allow him to restore the hairline and area behind it with high density. You will be able to discuss specific hairline design and height prior to the procedure with him. The reason such number is required is because he will need to match the cosmetic density of your existing hair and because at the frontal 0.5cm of the hairline we use only single hair follicles mimicking nature at approximately 65-70 grafts per cm2.

How much work can be done as well as the final result depends on your donor capacity, quality and texture of your donor hair. I do not see any issues regarding this from the photos sent in fact are very encouraging as your donor hair looks of very good quality however Dr Maras prefers to perform FUE in your case in order to ensure the harvesting of the grafts is the appropriate required for your case and I will explain. He wants to cherry pick the exact number of singles required from your donor without the need of separating doubles or trebles and cherry pick the doubles and trebles when restoring further back from the hairline. The second main reason that he wants to perform FUE in your case is the increase risk of the new scar to stretch as it will be the second time.

"

Mav,

Before I respond I would like you to read it yourself a few times and then tell us if you see any issue with what was written at all. You have educated yourself online for some time and have already had one HT procedure. In your experience is there anything worth mentioning that you can think of based solely on the content of those two paragraphs that you posted?

Does anyone else have anything to say concerning these two paragraphs?

I await and look forward to your considered response.

Thanks,

Dr. Feller

Are you currently on propecia? As a young guy, it is very important to save as much of your hair as possible. The FUE vs FUT thing in interesting. There are plenty of people here who have had multiple FUEs surgeries and look great. Would they have been better served going via FUT? Idk and I think that is a matter of personal preference. Can you deal with the linear scar and the possibility of it being visible? I had been told that a guard 4 is the lowest I could possibly go with FUT. So, I decided not to take the chance and I went FUE. Talk to as many people as possible

Nope, and I won't be. Have been thinking on it a lot recently, and have read a lot of recent scientific studies in which very worrying side effects have been proven to exist, not just anecdotal forum reports. Was still considering it so spoke to my doc, he's a great guy and I trust him a lot, so was fairly surprised to see how agitated and massively anti propecia he was, which came down to the fact he has been treating a young guy with anti depressants and different t-boosters for the last 6 months after the guy (who is my age too) got seriously bad sides from propecia which he had prescribed him. He's just had plastic surgery to remove breast tissue and suffers from "significant, demasculating sexual sides" according to Dr. - Reason I'm going so descriptive is because I know what everyone will say -" you need to be on fin to save your hair etc etc etc." I think these arguments are null and void compared to what this guy is going through.

Guard 4, hmm that'd be like 3-4 cm I guess. Obviously surgeon skill comes into play, would be great to hear from former Dr. Feller patient on their scar/ others who have undertaken FUT.

Nope, and I won't be. Have been thinking on it a lot recently, and have read a lot of recent scientific studies in which very worrying side effects have been proven to exist, not just anecdotal forum reports. Was still considering it so spoke to my doc, he's a great guy and I trust him a lot, so was fairly surprised to see how agitated and massively anti propecia he was, which came down to the fact he has been treating a young guy with anti depressants and different t-boosters for the last 6 months after the guy (who is my age too) got seriously bad sides from propecia which he had prescribed him. He's just had plastic surgery to remove breast tissue and suffers from "significant, demasculating sexual sides" according to Dr. - Reason I'm going so descriptive is because I know what everyone will say -" you need to be on fin to save your hair etc etc etc." I think these arguments are null and void compared to what this guy is going through.

Guard 4, hmm that'd be like 3-4 cm I guess. Obviously surgeon skill comes into play, would be great to hear from former Dr. Feller patient on their scar/ others who have undertaken FUT.

I was very scared of propecia as well. I started with half a dose every other day and bumped up to everyday because of the assurance of my doctor. I didn't experience any side effects and my doctor has been on it for over a decade and he's fine. He told me try a full dose for a few days and see how I feel. I tried it and everything was fine. I completely understand if you are still hesitant. Im just trying to say that not everyone reacts poorly to it. Did you friend experience any other side effects first?(soft erection etc)? At the sight of any of that I would stop taking it as well. I like my hair around a guard 2, so I didn't want to take a chance of the scar. Do extensive research. I did try some topical things to stop DHT but they didn't really work. The only thing I am taking is biotin 5mg. Biotin won't affect DHT but it does help the existing hair grow a bit fuller.

Mav,

Before I respond I would like you to read it yourself a few times and then tell us if you see any issue with what was written at all. You have educated yourself online for some time and have already had one HT procedure. In your experience is there anything worth mentioning that you can think of based solely on the content of those two paragraphs that you posted?

Does anyone else have anything to say concerning these two paragraphs?

I await and look forward to your considered response.

Thanks,

Dr. Feller

Hi Dr. Feller,

Well I am not nearly as qualified enough to answer that, but here are my own personal thoughts, and as a disclaimer I am just an average guy on the street who really doesn't know much about this topic other than what I have read online:

1) The cherry picking aspect makes alot of sense to me, although as stated, if Maras is really looking for singles, why is it a disadvantage by going with FUT and cutting up doubles and triples into singles? Ido agree that if he is looking for more doubles or triples, then he is limited to what he gets from FUT. Overall, I found this argument for going with FUE weak, and in my mind doesn't outweigh the higher risk of transection of grafts by electing FUE over FUT. Once again, I have no personal view on this, and have to trust what you and other doctors claim. This is also the first time I have really heard the argument of cherry picking grafts resulting in a significant advantage of a strip, but it does make logical sense though. I dunno, you tell me?

2) In my opinion, the only pro of going with FUE over FUT when I am not stripped out yet, is the linier scar, but as a previous FUT patient, I already have the linier scar, so isn't this a mute point in my case anyway? I didn't buy the stretching of the scar statement either, as isn't the risk of stretching the same as my 1st procedure? In addition, my scalp laxity has still been assessed as good, and this procedure would only go after 2,500 grafts, so is the risk of scar stretching even that much elevated? I may buy it if I was going after 4,000 odd grafts.

3) Dr Maras hasn't disclosed the risks of FUE you mentioned, and disclosed that I would get a better result by going with FUT. Once again, I don't have a view on this matter, but I do trust the view you have shared on this forum as I haven't seen evidence to the contrary. Thats the reason I declined the procedure with Maras and will be going with a different surgeon via FUT for my 2nd procedure.

4) Finally, he never disclosed that by switching to FUE, i would be reducing my lifetime grafts available to me than if I remained with FUT until being stripped out. I had an estimated 6,000 odd grafts available for strip when first assessed prior to my 1st procedure. The 1st procedure was for around 2,000 grafts, so that leaves around 4,000 FUT grafts. This is the biggie for me. I want to get the absolute maximum number of grafts over my lifetime, and if that means a linier scar, then hell yes - I will take it.

Finally, no disrespect at all to Dr. Maras. I am a nobody, and he is a qualified and well respected HT doctor, so the views I made above may be total nonsense.

Edited by mav23100gunther

Hi Dr. Feller,

Well I am not nearly as qualified enough to answer that, but here are my own personal thoughts, and as a disclaimer I am just an average guy on the street who really doesn't know much about this topic other than what I have read online:

1) The cherry picking aspect makes alot of sense to me, although as stated, if Maras is really looking for singles, why is it a disadvantage by going with FUT and cutting up doubles and triples into singles? Ido agree that if he is looking for more doubles or triples, then he is limited to what he gets from FUT. Overall, I found this argument for going with FUE weak, and in my mind doesn't outweigh the higher risk of transection of grafts by electing FUE over FUT. Once again, I have no personal view on this, and have to trust what you and other doctors claim. This is also the first time I have really heard the argument of cherry picking grafts resulting in a significant advantage of a strip, but it does make logical sense though. I dunno, you tell me?

2) In my opinion, the only pro of going with FUE over FUT when I am not stripped out yet, is the linier scar, but as a previous FUT patient, I already have the linier scar, so isn't this a mute point in my case anyway? I didn't buy the stretching of the scar statement either, as isn't the risk of stretching the same as my 1st procedure? In addition, my scalp laxity has still been assessed as good, and this procedure would only go after 2,500 grafts, so is the risk of scar stretching even that much elevated? I may buy it if I was going after 4,000 odd grafts.

3) Dr Maras hasn't disclosed the risks of FUE you mentioned, and disclosed that I would get a better result by going with FUT. Once again, I don't have a view on this matter, but I do trust the view you have shared on this forum as I haven't seen evidence to the contrary. Thats the reason I declined the procedure with Maras and will be going with a different surgeon via FUT for my 2nd procedure.

4) Finally, he never disclosed that by switching to FUE, i would be reducing my lifetime grafts available to me than if I remained with FUT until being stripped out. I had an estimated 6,000 odd grafts available for strip when first assessed prior to my 1st procedure. The 1st procedure was for around 2,000 grafts, so that leaves around 4,000 FUT grafts. This is the biggie for me. I want to get the absolute maximum number of grafts over my lifetime, and if that means a linier scar, then hell yes - I will take it.

Finally, no disrespect at all to Dr. Maras. I am a nobody, and he is a qualified and well respected HT doctor, so the views I made above may be total nonsense.

Mav if you already had strip, it makes sense to just get stripped out.