Should I get SMP on this scar?

My history:

• In 2000, I got 800 grafts FUT from MHR

• In 2011, I got 1400 grafts FUT from Dr Paul Shapiro

• In 2012, I got 1800 grafts FUT from Dr Paul Shapiro

• In 2014, I got 1000 grafts FUE from Dr Paul Shapiro, divided between scalp & FUT scar

Photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8xystm05q1tkwtb/AACANdkoF3iSZIhRopVjify3a?dl=0

I will make another post soon with my progress over the years. But for now, since overall coverage is not great, I would just like to keep my hair cut fairly short without exposing the scar.

I visited HIS Hair Clinic in NYC last week and got an estimate of about $1500 for a couple sessions of permanent ink on the scar. The consultant mentioned it was quite a flat, thin and professionally handled scar and that SMP would be an easy job. Last year I had FUE hair put back into the scar but as you can see from the photos, it's still evident.

Please give me your opinions on permanent SMP tattooing. I cannot tell in my research whether it's ready for prime time or something I would regret. Thanks.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

If I were you, I would stay away from permanent ink.

Got to agree, I wouldn't go near permanent ink.

To be honest the scar doesn't look bad at all even with your hair short. Personally I wouldn't do anything, as I honestly think the only people who would really pick up on it at that grade, would be the likes of ur friends on the forum, and we ain't gonna say anything.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Not the best photos but from what I can tell, I wouldn't do anything.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Sorry for the photo quality, I can't seem to find the right technique for taking pics of the back of my head.

I've definitely had good comments on the scar from people who would know. At the same time, when I see myself from the side, I can see that very white bright linear scar just underneath the hair and I'm always looking for ways to improve that.

So has anyone done temporary ink on a scar and had a good experience?

My Hairloss Blog »

multiplier, SMP into scar tissue can be tricky. I generally perform a test patch first to see how the pigment does. Flat , white scars are optimal. If you like, PM me and we can set up a consultation via phone or preferably SKYPE so we can go through your options.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I too wouldn't go near permanent ink.

Clearly you don't live that far from SMG, if you saw Paul Shapiro, so why not see Nicole for work on your scar?

I did three sessions on my scarring and am very pleased with the results. Looking at your pictures I think you are an excellent candidate, definitely better than I was. And you've already done FUE into your scars, which is the optimal route for anyone considering doing SMP into scars.

First step: FUE into the scars and determine if any further work is necessary.

Second step: Determine whether or not you want to add more grafts, or add Temp. SMP

I would say you should determine whether or not FUE or Temp. SMP. is your next step.

multiplier,

Just curious...how many grafts did you have added into the scar?

The thing about ink into any scar is that scar tissue lacks blood flow, and as a result, the body absorbs the ink very differently than normal uncompromised flesh tissue.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I too wouldn't go near permanent ink.

Curious why specifically? Just because as your hair grays, you won't know how the the ink will blend long-term?

Clearly you don't live that far from SMG, if you saw Paul Shapiro, so why not see Nicole for work on your scar?

I live in New York. I had flown to Minneapolis to see SMG for those surgeries.

So did you get temporary ink with them and it looks fine? And you have to go back every year?

I did three sessions on my scarring and am very pleased with the results. Looking at your pictures I think you are an excellent candidate, definitely better than I was. And you've already done FUE into your scars, which is the optimal route for anyone considering doing SMP into scars.

I did around 400-500 into my scar in September of last year. I'm still not sure if I'm seeing the final effects. But I do know that when I cut my hair short, there's still a faint line across the back of the head that would give some people pause. I would rather take steps to eliminate it altogether if it's possible.

Edited by multiplier

My Hairloss Blog »

Hey Multiplier,

I agree with what has been stated above. I am looking for ways to possibly improve the appearance of my scar...I think yours looks pretty damn good. I am guessing you have your hair cut at a 2 guard. If you want to conceal it further, you could possibly try one of three things: (1) Currently, I cut my hair at a 2 guard, but around the scar I keep the hair slightly longer (around half an inch) and blend it. In your case, you could probably keep the adjacent hair at a 3 guard and completely conceal it all together. A vast majority of people cannot detect the difference between one eighth of an inch and any competent barber should be able to blend the hair; (2) Try another FUE procedure to further conceal the scar; (3) Add a small amount of DermMatch to the area. The challenging part is matching your hair color exactly, but once this is accomplished, the actual application is not too bad (I am currently experimenting with this option). You could always research other options such as Fraxel lasers and dermarollers (I have seen some successful results yielded through these options on another forum), but I don't think your case elicits either one unless you are going to shave completely down. IMO, I think your current hair length suits you.

Thanks, seeker.

When I got FUE back in September of last year, I told myself and Dr. Shapiro that I was done with surgeries. But like many people before me, the concept of "done" becomes more abstract as you continue to lose more hair, especially now that I'm 40. There are many days I just want to shave it all and be done with it, but that FUT scar is making that impossible. I'm wondering what it is about SMP on a scar that makes people wary.

This week I met with Dr. Dorin here in NYC. He was really down to earth and suggested he could do a very small FUE that would fill in the scar a bit more and touch up one of the temple points. But it would still require a shaved strip in the back of my hair. These days I have a pretty prominent job position that doesn't allow 3 weeks off for recovery time. Ideally I'd like to get SMP to cover the scar, wait a couple months, then shave down for FUE so the scar is sufficiently hidden. It's hard to put all these puzzle pieces into place and it has been 15 year process to try to look in the mirror and feel "good" about progress.

Anyway, it's a lot to think about. I appreciate the feedback so far.

My Hairloss Blog »

Considering those factors, you still have some options available. If you wanted to pursue the FUE route, some doctors provide "shaveless" FUE procedures. They are not truly "shaveless" (they still shave donor/recipient areas), but the surgeon will keep the adjacent hairs longer to conceal any evidence of the surgery. This is only a viable option for smaller procedures (which obviously would apply to your situation). Here is a link to a thread that discusses shaveless FUE: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/179556-shaveless-fue-post2431633.html

In terms of SMP, it can be hit and miss for scarred areas. Injecting ink into a compromised part of your skin can lead to unpredictable results such as individual "simulated follicles" spreading or color fading/changing long-term. Don't get me wrong, other people have made positive comments about their results, but I have not encountered many threads showing long-term results. It almost sounds like you are considering SMP to conceal the scar to receive additional FUE grafts. If this is the case, you might want to consider temporary SMP which typically lasts from 6 months-2 years. I have not encountered many cases of temporary SMP and I am not absolutely clear what makes the ink "temporary", but it is something you could further investigate.