US or international HT surgeon

Folks, I've been researching the top US and Canadian surgeons for my 2nd HT procedure. My top 3 are dr Rahal, Dr Ron Shapiro, Dr Konior, and Dr Hasson. Looking at around 2,500 grafts. Quick question, over the last week I've started reading more and more posts on some of the recommended surgeons in Turkey and Belgium. As I live in the U.S. I just figured that the best of the best are in my backyard, but seems as if the top doctors from Turkey and Belgium are in the same league. What has shocked me is how much lower their pricing is, and I can even get an FUE procedure in Turkey and make a signifant saving over getting FUT in the states. I went with FUT for my 1st procedure as the scar doesn't scare me, and also didn't think the premium for FUE was worth it for me. Regardless of the method though, should I be seriously considering a procedure in turkey or Belgium or another country? My first priority is that I use one of the top rated surgeons, even if that means paying the premium. Will I be compromising on that by going with the top guy in turkey or Belgium? Just wondering how they shape up, if I can get the same quality surgery and save cash, why wouldn't I do that? What am I missing here guys? FUE in Turkey at around 3 euros per graft, compared to $5-6 a graft for FUT in North America. What's the catch? As I mentioned, my 1st priority is to find the best surgeon.

Also want to point out that I travel internationally all the time, so the cost of flying out to a place like Turkey is mute for me. I could tap it into a bigger vacation. Any advice would be helpful. I just want to make sure I'm not sacrificing on quality just to save some dollars on the surgery itself.

def travel to Europe. there is no catch. the US is a rip off and doctors in Europe don't have the overhead they do in other countries. ur BEST surgeons are in Europe period! u won't get the same quality you will get BETTER quality!

steer clear of FUT!!!!!!! FUE only! especially if u only need 2,500 grafts. otherwise you run the risk of having to seek out an FUE surgeon to repair ur FUT scar. why waste ur time and money and get it done right the second time with FUE.

each time you go into ur scalp to carve out more flesh u run the risk of that scar growing. u may not be scared of the scar now but why risk it wen FUE in Europe is not only cheaper then FUT here there is virtually ZERO risk of being disfigured with a tell-tale FUT HT scar.

You should ask the European surgeons what their involvement is in the procedure and how many procedures will be going on at the same time.

There have been some great FUE results posted the last couple of years, both from the US and Europe, but also some pretty mediocre ones coming out of Turkey in particular.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

There have been some great FUE results posted the last couple of years, both from the US and Europe, but also some pretty mediocre ones coming out of Turkey in particular.

yea I agree. but I think Turkey has become the FUE capital of the world so I guess its only natural to see a few poor cases from time to time since every doctor over there is jumping on the FUE band wagon.

I think law of averages plays a role.

Edited by BUSA

Thank you all. I messed up my first procedure by paying in excess of $6 per graft for FUT using a NY surgeon and although I am satisfied with the result, he was way to conservative in graft count and placement, so I need a 2nd procedure to add density and get the finished result. I definitely want to choose one of the top surgeons for my 2nd, but also not get ripped off by paying a premium when I don't need to. I already had FUT the first time, so I guess it's a mute point for the 2nd (scar will still be there if I opt for FUE. I just want to get the best possible result for my own situation. Any other views on US vs Europe? I'm wondering why so many Europeans travel to North America for surgeries if European surgeons are at least on par?

Thank you all. I messed up my first procedure by paying in excess of $6 per graft for FUT using a NY surgeon and although I am satisfied with the result, he was way to conservative in graft count and placement, so I need a 2nd procedure to add density and get the finished result. I definitely want to choose one of the top surgeons for my 2nd, but also not get ripped off by paying a premium when I don't need to. I already had FUT the first time, so I guess it's a mute point for the 2nd (scar will still be there if I opt for FUE. I just want to get the best possible result for my own situation. Any other views on US vs Europe? I'm wondering why so many Europeans travel to North America for surgeries if European surgeons are at least on par?
Vories out of South Carolina does pretty good work and his FUE rates are $4 per graft.

it will definitely be cheaper in Europe but depending on how many grafts u actually get the cost of the flight might off set that but imo not by much when ur talking several thousand grafts at under $3 per graft.

Hi Busa,

I travel internationally a lot, so the flight costs will be a wash, especially if I tap on the surgery to a vacation. Not that I'd be able to do much after the surgery, but spending a couple of days touring before the procedure, coupled with a few days recovering in an exotic European city sounds a lot better than spending those days in Ottawa or Minnesota (no offense to the Vikinks though :) Also a flight to Europe from my home toen in NY will prob cost around $1k compared to $400 it would cost to fly out to Ottawa or Minnesota, so we are really only talking about $600 extra for the flights, so I'm pretty sure it won't eat that much of the cost savings.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, I think the Turkish surgeons may be a little too aggressive for my liking, but I'm gonna have to think long and hard about this choice.

As far as the FUE in the US, I was not impressed with the published results of the dedicated FUE surgeons from either CA or GA and paying $8 or more/graft makes no sense when far less expensive and arguably equal of better facilities are available in Europe. I was not aware of Dr. Vories work when I chose to go to Europe for my two procedures but both in terms of quality and price he I believe belongs on anyone's short list. As a disclaimer while a physician and patient myself, I have never met Dr. Vories personally or have any affiliation with him or any other physician mentioned on this site.

One thing to think about is potential future hair loss. You can still do a few FUT's depending on laxicity, and then still have room to do FUE when no more FUT is available. And I wouldn't say American docs are a rip-off, there are some very good top surgeons. But yes, overseas you can save some money...but you better go to a good doctor because there are horror stories on this site.

Thanks Shera - I will definitely consider India if the best surgeons are there, although I get the impression that the best of the best in Europe/Asia are in Belgium.

Thanks Cali - I agree with your point on going with FUTs until maxing out the laxicity since my 1st HT was strip, and then switching to FUT and maybe BHT later on (I'm blessed with a good chunk of body hair - one of life's cruelties is that in the last year I went for a HT to get back hair on my head, and went for laser hair removal to get rid of the hair on my back - someone upstairs has a cruel sense of humor). Anyway, not too concerned with the strip scar, as when the time comes to shave it all off, I'll go with MSP which should hopefully reduce its visibility. Too your point, I'd rather go with one of the top quality best of the best surgeons than save money - just trying to figure out if the top overseas surgeons are on par with the very good top surgeons in the US. I really did get shafted by my New York surgeon who charged me a NY premium for very average/mediocre results, and I could class him as 2nd tier to the top surgeons. Deep down I told myself for the high cost he charged me (in excess of $6 a graft for FUT) he must be one of the best - I should have known better - thats why I want to get my 2nd HT right, so if the best of the best is in he US, I will stick to the States.

Thanks Shera - I will definitely consider India if the best surgeons are there, although I get the impression that the best of the best in Europe/Asia are in Belgium.

Thanks Cali - I agree with your point on going with FUTs until maxing out the laxicity since my 1st HT was strip, and then switching to FUT and maybe BHT later on (I'm blessed with a good chunk of body hair - one of life's cruelties is that in the last year I went for a HT to get back hair on my head, and went for laser hair removal to get rid of the hair on my back - someone upstairs has a cruel sense of humor). Anyway, not too concerned with the strip scar, as when the time comes to shave it all off, I'll go with MSP which should hopefully reduce its visibility. Too your point, I'd rather go with one of the top quality best of the best surgeons than save money - just trying to figure out if the top overseas surgeons are on par with the very good top surgeons in the US. I really did get shafted by my New York surgeon who charged me a NY premium for very average/mediocre results, and I could class him as 2nd tier to the top surgeons. Deep down I told myself for the high cost he charged me (in excess of $6 a graft for FUT) he must be one of the best - I should have known better - thats why I want to get my 2nd HT right, so if the best of the best is in he US, I will stick to the States.

well, after reading ur previous post on travel cost that is not a concern.

I was laughing at ur comment on Laser Hair removal and needing a HT. we must be rowing in the same boat lol. I live in CT and take the train in the city and go to Romeo and Julie on 53rd street. they have the latest lasers and update them like every 6 months wen new chit comes out.

its a PITA to go there but their price packages are very good considering I am VERY hairy and yes like u have virtually unlimited donor hair if u count my body hair. its one curse or the other. I want no hair on my body and it all on my head not the other way around lol.

as far as ur question pertaining to the TOP US vs. EU doctors id say thats tough to really say with conviction. there are some great FUE guys here but you just don't see them doing the larger procedures like you see the European-Indian doctors performing.

I mean look at the new threads each week here where patients are posting their results with larger FUE procedures. the majority of them are from over seas doctors. in fact, I can't remember the last time I seen a US doctor perform 5000 FUE grafts.

if ur looking for the best and don't give a rats ass about price then go see Dr. Maras from HDC. his work is the most refined anywhere imo and his hairlines are works of art. I don't really see him doing larger procedures but you don't need that much who cares.

I can't remember his FUE pricing but id assume its about $5-6 per graft but maybe less now with the euro being so much lower now. not really sure. he's pretty conservative too with his hairlines but they are so artistic they look totally natural http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/165659-dr-maras-hdc-medical-fue-2700-grafts.html

and his beard removal is the cleanest I've ever seen. I think Erdogan is just about as good tho. Feller in NY is excellent but he's like $8-10 per graft. thats crazy.

Thanks Busa,

Yeah I had my shoulder hair removed at Romeo & Juliette. The owner Chris is a freak (in a good way) - that's a bad man - he really knows his stuff and keeps ahead of the game with the latest technology. I actually had my back hair removed by Komal at Pulse Laser. I found their prices to be slightly lower, they also had the latest GMAX Pro, and I found Komal to be more efficient than the laser techs at R&J - although there really wasn't much of a difference - just personal preference. You can't go wrong with either. I was surprised by just how well the laser removal works, and am upset I waited until my 30's to get it done. I used to have to spend a good hour using that long hair shaver (the Hairgroomer pro) in front of the mirror trying to shave my back during my dating years when I knew I had a shot at scoring. I'm almost inclined to get my chest hair lasered as well, but its much smarter to keep that reserved for a future BHT. I'm telling you buddy, I used to look like a beast with all my body hair, its so messed up that with all my body hair the big guy upstairs couldn't have just left my head hair alone - LOL - give me a bone or something!!!!

I will check our Dr Maras as well. After spending the last few days researching Erdogan, I get the impression that he may be slightly to aggressive for my liking. I get the impression he plays the numbers game (in no of grafts and dense packing) to get that wow factor result - absolutely nothing wrong with that - but I only have approx. 6,000 of lifetime donar hair supply of which I have used 2,500 - so looking for more of a balance between aggressive and conservative - not too conservative though as I want to enjoy the rest of my 30's and early 40s. If I had closer to 8,000/9,000 grafts, then I would definitely be inclined to going for that aggressive mega-session with a sick number of grafts and the max in dense packing.

Edited by mav23100gunther