How soon after fue ht can you shave the head?

My clinic advised me that 14 days post fue ht, it is ok to buzz the entire head as the transplanted grafts would be deeply anchored at this stage. This seems to be the general consensus.

After shaving, I didn't notice any blood so I don't think that I lost any grafts but I feel that I should have waited a bit longer before buzzing the scalp now.

Just wondering how long other posters waited before shaving their head post fue ht?

Thanks.

Edited by TonyB

I went with Longevita in Turkey [Dr Resat] he gave me a list of do's and don'ts after procedure

and one of the don't's was to buzz the hair until 9 months unfortunately I can't find the list but I will email him to double check.

Ha maybe I'll double check it by the same token there's no way I'd touch newly planted grafts

With a clipper 14 days post op me thinks err on the side of caution with that one

Edited by Mick50

Ha maybe ,I'll double check it by the same token there's no way I'd touch newly planted grafts

With a clipper 14 days post op me thinks err on the side of caution with that one

A hair transplant is stressful enough without adding extra worry whether buzzing grafts 14 days post op will damage them or not.

In saying that I'm sure TonyB's crafts will be fine as his clinic gave it the OK

Edited by Mick50

• 1 month later...

At the risk of being called crazy (or foolish, as I believe one member called me once before when commenting on a similar topic ;) ), I buzzed my remaining native hairs to match the previously shaved donor/recipient areas 6 days after my surgery - all with complete success and zero complications - and with the go ahead from my doctor. Granted, I had a guard on the clippers and didn't run them across the actual recipient area, but I did very gently buzz down the remaining native hairs so that everything was uniform and didn't look strange.

According to research, the first 72 hours are the most crucial, and after day 5, the grafts are completely secure given there are no scabs present. If there are scabs, by day 9 even these are grafts are still secure. Based on this research, by day 14 it would be more than okay to buzz your hair. I understand that there are always going to be doctors/patients who err on the side of caution, and I do agree if you want to wait an additional week or two past these dates for your own peace of mind, there is no harm in that. But waiting 9 months seems more than excessive to me.

This is all based on a study done by Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Rassman. The results of their study concluded the following from Dr. Bernstein's website:

"The study showed that for the first two days, pulling on a hair always resulted in a lost graft, but the chance of the graft being removed started to decrease by the third day. By the sixth day pulling on a hair would no longer dislodge the graft. Pulling on an adherent scab always resulted in a lost graft through day five, with the incidence decreasing through day eight. However, by nine days post-op, grafts were no longer at risk of being dislodged."

As always, you should consult with your doctor and follow the guidelines that they have given you. However, do your due diligence to make sure that what you're being told is based in facts.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 1 year later...
At the risk of being called crazy (or foolish, as I believe one member called me once before when commenting on a similar topic ;) ), I buzzed my remaining native hairs to match the previously shaved donor/recipient areas 6 days after my surgery - all with complete success and zero complications - and with the go ahead from my doctor. Granted, I had a guard on the clippers and didn't run them across the actual recipient area, but I did very gently buzz down the remaining native hairs so that everything was uniform and didn't look strange.

According to research, the first 72 hours are the most crucial, and after day 5, the grafts are completely secure given there are no scabs present. If there are scabs, by day 9 even these are grafts are still secure. Based on this research, by day 14 it would be more than okay to buzz your hair. I understand that there are always going to be doctors/patients who err on the side of caution, and I do agree if you want to wait an additional week or two past these dates for your own peace of mind, there is no harm in that. But waiting 9 months seems more than excessive to me.

This is all based on a study done by Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Rassman. The results of their study concluded the following from Dr. Bernstein's website:

"The study showed that for the first two days, pulling on a hair always resulted in a lost graft, but the chance of the graft being removed started to decrease by the third day. By the sixth day pulling on a hair would no longer dislodge the graft. Pulling on an adherent scab always resulted in a lost graft through day five, with the incidence decreasing through day eight. However, by nine days post-op, grafts were no longer at risk of being dislodged."

As always, you should consult with your doctor and follow the guidelines that they have given you. However, do your due diligence to make sure that what you're being told is based in facts.

Good answer, especially bc you site an expert study.

Day 6 the graft is in for good.

Day 9 scab is no longer at risk for dislodge.

I think I would wait 28 days to consider getting a cut.

Just curious is this for clippers? What size can we go?

I think at 1-2 months the implanted grafts fall out.

Can we go size 0 zero with no attachment?

What's the recommended attachment on clippers 1-2? Is 0 an option?

Thanks

My first doc said it was fine for me to go over recipient area gently with Clippers on day 7, which I did without any problems