Norwood 7 - Considering HT

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been reading the postings for a few months now. My brief story is that I started losing my hair at age 20 or so. I married at 23 to a beautiful woman- we have two awesome girls going on 15 years of marriage. I have a great job, I'm addicted to the gym like allot of guys on here although I dont look like it all that much. I'm in great shape but not a big guy. So, I'm 38 - I'm thinking I really want to look my best. My question is - Am I going to make a big mistake that I can't take back? My case is so bad that I dont have much donor hair - 4,000 grafts at the most, probably more like 3,500 I've been told. My risk is that I continue balding past the donor scar and then I have to live with that. Not crazy about going on propecia at my age. I've beeb shaving my head for the past 12 years and I could really live with that, but I just have a hard time believing that more can't be done. I empathize with the single guys out there that have my same problem. I notice the way an attractive woman will not react the same way to me as to someone who does have hair. It's really pretty silly, but it's just the way it is- it hurts.

Any thoughts out there? Anyone who is a 7 that's had an HT?

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been reading the postings for a few months now. My brief story is that I started losing my hair at age 20 or so. I married at 23 to a beautiful woman- we have two awesome girls going on 15 years of marriage. I have a great job, I'm addicted to the gym like allot of guys on here although I dont look like it all that much. I'm in great shape but not a big guy. So, I'm 38 - I'm thinking I really want to look my best. My question is - Am I going to make a big mistake that I can't take back? My case is so bad that I dont have much donor hair - 4,000 grafts at the most, probably more like 3,500 I've been told. My risk is that I continue balding past the donor scar and then I have to live with that. Not crazy about going on propecia at my age. I've beeb shaving my head for the past 12 years and I could really live with that, but I just have a hard time believing that more can't be done. I empathize with the single guys out there that have my same problem. I notice the way an attractive woman will not react the same way to me as to someone who does have hair. It's really pretty silly, but it's just the way it is- it hurts.

tw5,

Welcome to the forum.

A couple points.

1. Please post some pics.

I married at 23 to a beautiful woman- we have two awesome girls going on 15 years of marriage

&

I notice the way an attractive woman will not react the same way to me as to someone who does have hair.

There's a grave inconsistency here. You're married to a beautiful woman who loves you. You DON'T need another attractive woman to be attracted to you.

Basically, you've got it made. But ultimately it's up to you, because beauty is about self-perception.

3500 grafts can reconstruct your hairline and add mild density to the top 2/3, staying out of the crown.

take care...

tw5, as mmhce said, it might help to post some pictures.

Consult with several reputed doctors to get a diverse set of opinions. Also, a few docs are successfully able to transplant body hair to the scalp (there was a recent posting where someone "extracted" hair from the chest and armpits to transplant to the scalp). So if you're constrained by scalp donor hair, body hair might be a suitable alternative.

Good luck!

i can relate to where tw5 is now.

i too had the beautiful wife and kids,married for 16 years(now 20),well paid job,gym 3 times a week and a shaved head since the age of 25.

i still yearned for hair,even just a little.

i was a nw5/6 and shaved every other day,because my hair was quite dense at the sides and bck it left the dark shadow. i remember thinking i wish i just had some of that shadow on top,nothing much just a nw3 pattern like Statham,diesil and the like.

my brother had that pattern(still does)and i think it makes all the difference.

so when i planned for my ht this is what i had in mind,to go from a bald to a balding look.

i am a nw3 now with average density and light density in the crown.

i would suggest if you go down the ht route(after loads of research first)i would go for this sort of conservative approach.

you are never going to get a woman attracting head of hair back(unless hm comes along)but then i doubt thats what really bothers you,it's the bald guy tag that you feel constantly follows you when ever you meet new people.

good luck in what ever you choose to do,but just remember once done you will never be able to shave down again without the scar on show and after shaving for 12 years it is a big decision to make.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Balody is right. Don't try to reestablish a straight, juvenile hairline. If you go through with a HT, then establish a high hairline with some recession. That way, you'll get the appearance of more density. But if you are a NW7 and you get a HT, I'd strongly recommend you get on Propecia to prevent more loss into the donor region.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

You might want to consider FUE to establish the shadow in the front area and then shave to a#3 or #2 if possible or if you're very lucky a #1 if the FUE doesn't show in the donor area at those lengths.

IMO your situation now is a LOT better than it would be if you had to deal with a scar showing or even the anxiety that it might show.

You have to remember that it must look natural and with those numbers and that area to cover this is something that would take a lot of skill and possibly a little luck as well. If it doesn't look natural again you will be a LOT worse off than you are now.

tw5

Hey man, i got to say that you dont have it bad. You have a wife and you dont have to worry about playing the game anymore, so dont jump too fast into the ht game. I also wnt bald around 24, and i can tell you (being a nowrwood six) i still look bald in some areas, so if u just have 3500 grafts available, you might regret doing it, hell man i have close to 4000 grafts and i still need more work!! at a norwood 7 and with limited supply, youre looking at a minimal cosmetic change. But its just my opinion, if your expectiations are realistic, you might be happy with a frontal transplant.

juanc

1000 grafts with dr rosanelli

1000 grafts with Dr. Peterson

1600 (july 17) with Dr. Ochs

Hi,

I tried to post pics but way exceeded the allotment. Balody is on the money here. At my age I would just would like to look my best. The impasse I am at is I don't want to go on Propecia yet and my biggest fear is that I bald past the donor area- then I'm completely screwed. I have had consultations with Matt Zuppan at Dr. Shapiro's office- super impressed. The other doctor I saw in person was really unimpressive. I emailed my photos to H&W also but have not spoken with them yet. This site is really awesome, great support! Thanks.

Originally posted by tw5:

Hi,

ok, your a NW7. you yourself state that you have been quoted as having 3500 grafts available... you yourself understand that you very well could continue to experience donor thinning... right??

the reality is this... 3500 to 4000 grafts of a NW7 can get you nothing more than a decent conservative (and still thin ESPECIALLY in direct sunlight or overhead lighting found in restaurants or just about anywhere actually)hairline with decent coverage over no more than half your entire balding area.. you will be able to to do little to NOTHING for your crown, and it likely would not be worth it cosmetically even if you could get the crown.... not to mention you will have a liner scar that will be visible should you elect to go back to the shaved look.... there is your reality, and its your decision as to if that look and lack of styling options is worth it to you...

personally i think you can guess what i would do in your shoes... you have a hot wife, with kids, you have a life. your fully functional and your hairloss while it suck does not cripple you.. the risks BY FAR outweigh what you could potentially gain with that graft count... the homeruns you may have seen on NW7s all have similarities that dont seem to be present with your case... the #1 being that they ALL have had 8 to 10 THOUSAND+ grafts moved over multiple procedures...

anyone why feels you sould go for it.. ought to rethink their position IMO... that said its your head and your gamble so should you take the gamble go with hasson @ wong.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Assuming you are a candidate for FUE, that is really your only option. I agree with LMS completely. If you're already beginning to notice donor thinning, (and it sure sounds like you are or you wouldn't have been told 3,500 - 4,000 grafts) then the likelihood of a linear scar becoming visible seems to be very likely. I can think of few things worse with modern transplantation than a pseudo combover combined with the visibility of a scar.

Do yourself a favor and consult with physicians that do FUE.

LMS- Thanks Man. What you are saying is what part of me feels. The other part feels like this is really screwed and I should be able to do something about it. Anyways- buzzed from cocktailing in the jacuzzi with my family. Try to jump on the wife and call it a night.

OUT!

I have to agree with lost my swagger.

If your donor hair availability is only 3500 grafts and you're a level 7 on the norwood scale, at best, you'd only be able to re-establish a mature looking hairline with a "dusting" of hair behind it half way back (though more likely less than that). The back half will remain completely bald.

To give you an idea what Norwood 7 patients can accomplish (depending on donor availability and hair characteristics), visit our Hair Transplant Photos via Norwood Scale. These should be only used as a frame of reference. What can be realistically accomplished varies from patient to patient, even in the hands of an elite surgeon.

I know how easy it is to look at our imperfections and want more. This includes hair. However, it sounds like you have a lot to be happy about including a beautiful wife and wonderful kids.

All the Best,

Bill

Yeah, heed what everyone is saying. You're married, with kids, a job. Don't give yourself the headache. Especially when you only have about 3500 total grafts to work with. Embrace the baldness, because an HT will only make you more self-conscious... especially when you're a NW7 at 38 years old.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi Everyone,

I want to say thanks to everyone out there. This really is an incredible forum with allot of great support. I've decided to hold off doing anything for at least a couple years and see if any kind of medical break through comes along or maybe even something that will take some of the risk out of my transplant. You've all been great! Thanks so much.