Dark hairs around scar - normal?

Hi

I had a hair transplant and strip surgery about 8 months ago. For some reason the hair around the scar seems darker. The scar itself has healed fine and is 2 mm wide.

It's only visible when the hair is short - typically when it's 1 cm or less. When the hair grows to more than that it visually normalizes.

I've had some friends look at it. Some say it's due to the hair growing at an odd angle around the scar, which may explain why it stops when the hair is longer. Others say the hair itself looks darker.

Anyone heard about this before, and know what I can expect? Have googled the phenomenon but can't find any others who have experienced it.

hair01.JPG.7edec914305af7b02d276cf1b564a4f8.JPG

hair02.JPG.2061dad6f772ae2ec94e1a97595ca8c1.JPG

hair03.JPG.f1c80dbea7feae61be969933b5d4a072.JPG

hair04.JPG.086fc2e7b0f533686a97d9d69cfc371a.JPG

Toubey,

I think you're right; it looks like the slight change in hair growth angle around the scar makes it appear darker. I don't think you'd notice it with longer hair. Did your surgeon use a trichophytic closure?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Your hair is quite short for a strip patient, but yes I see the dark as well. It actually looks like the hair itself is darker color, not just shadows or cross-grown hairs that give a difference of appearance. I have not seen that before. You may need to wear it a little longer for while to see if the roots normalize color over time. I suspect the body will heal itself with time and the hair will start to blend.

Good to hear your scar is so invisible...that is normally the bigger concern for folks.

I had a similar phenomenon and here is my theory:

1)The hairs around the scar are shocked out. They regrow like the transplanted hair which means they come out thicker and a bit wiry at the start.

2)The hairs start regrowing all at more or less the same time but as the months pass they switch back to a random pattern of shedding and regrowing.

These two things contribute to the line standing out more at the start of regrowth but I have found a big improvement over time (I'm up to 17 months post op).

So I would just sit tight and wait it out another 6-9 months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Never seen it before but it does look like the hair is actually darker. I agree with others that say time will probably settle it down.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I have never seen this occur either. Hopefully all the hairs will return to original color. Please keep us posted.

Just when you think you've seen just about everything...:rolleyes:

I agree with Matt that it's a combination of all of the factors stated. In addition, the density in the regrowth "at the scar" and on either side can vary and cause a more pronounced visual differential where the hair is most dense.

It's hard to tell from photos how much of it is angulation, and how much of it is the variance in density. You may also have some slight shock on either side of the scar and I think when some of that hair grows back in, it will help reduce the visual contrast.

Definitely a good idea to wear the length longer, at least two inches or more...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the advice and feedback guys. Appreciate it, especially those with personal experience.

It's the same as I thought: The skin has become hypersensitive or similar. Or it could be due to the closure. I guess in any case the only thing I can do is to wait it out and see if it gets better.

I had a friend take a close-up with a 36MP camera the other day. I can see now that the hairs indeed are coming out in odd way. Like the ends stick together. Not sure if the hairs are actually darker or thicker. But the hair I had transplanted is also darker and thicker so maybe I'm just extra sensitive to that kinda thing.

Fortunately it's no longer visible when the hair grows to 1,2 cms or so. Bad thing is I'm losing hair fast and it may not be long before I'll need to buzz down.

Would love to hear if you have extra input re the dark hair.

We do know that hair that is resistant to DHT or what we refer to as terminal hair in the donor regions of the scalp tend to have optimal color (pigmentation) as well as optimal caliber (hair shaft diameter).

When terminal hair is transplanted into a thinning or diffused area, the transplanted hair can potentially be more noticeable because it is mixed into weaker and thinner hair shafts in the recipient area. The color contrast can be more noticeable as well because diffused hair can also loose some pigmentation causing further visual contrast.

When some of the hair that is growing through any strip scar is misaligned, then yes it can grow in more dense at various points in the scar. This sometimes happens with the try-closure method, and hard to say how much of that misalignment is from a lack of experience and/or skill. From what I have observed, each case can be dramatically different in the final outcome.

Some guys prefer to have FUE added later into a linear scar rather than having a try-closure for those reasons. And they would only need to add FUE if the scar does not come out as thin as they wanted and also many of them desire a much shorter hair style.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 year later...

Toubey,

I'm about 4 1/2 months post strip procedure and am experiencing the same darker hair around the donor scar. Has yours resolved or are the hairs around the scar still darker? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sean

It's still there, but as significantly as before. Has probably faded 50% or so.

Curious as to whether or not you could post an updated pic of this? If not I understand...

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)