African American FUE (my journey)

MoP85

Hi everyone, I've been lurking this site for a while and decided to join. I've been experiencing hair loss since 19. Started around the temples and now diffusing to the crown. It's definately took a toll on my confidence. I'm a barber so over the years I've been able to hide my loss by cutting my hair lower. I had a FUE procedure done by Dr. William Yates of Chicago last week. He extracted about 1250 grafts from my donor and restored the hair line and temple areas. The staff encouraged me that I was have a good yield because of my curly type hair. Also, Doc Yates said in his experience, that 1200 gratfs usually produce great results for african Americans. I would like any opinions on your expirence on black hair and FUE. I'll post pics of my hair before and post op for better opinions. Thank you all.

image.jpg.34ceaa1b68d0d8c3b45be3418220547b.jpg

No ARTAS, he did everything manually. I'm fairly new to the HT world but I'm learning. My scabs have completely fallen off. I'm 12 days post op today. Minimal donor pain and non recipient. I'm hopefull! Thanks for being apart of my journey!

• 3 months later...

Hey there man. How's your hair transplant coming along? Would love to see your progress 4 months post-op.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

the beauty of black men gettn a HT is the hairline is traditionally much higher so that mean less grafts have to be used. and AA hairlines are much easier to pull off cause their not as irregular.

No ARTAS, he did everything manually. I'm fairly new to the HT world but I'm learning. My scabs have completely fallen off. I'm 12 days post op today. Minimal donor pain and non recipient. I'm hopefull! Thanks for being apart of my journey!

Congratulations MoP85. The post op pic looks very clean with good placement of grafts . The toughest job is the long wait now ! Would be curious to see how the growth / coverage evolves given the type of hair .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to seeing your results. FUE requires a bit larger punch for African Americans but I'm sure you will not notice any issues. Congrats on the hair line. You have a lot to look forward to.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Thanks for sharing. How long were you at the clinic for 1250 FUE?

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 3 months later...

Hi Gents, Sorry I haven't been able to log in and keep you all posted. I have been extremely busy with my career. I'm almost 8 months post op. If you asked me I'm moderately pleased with my results thus far. I understand that it takes a full 12 months for optimal growth; however, I'm feeling like I might need a second FUE in 4 months. I would love your opinions and advice on my progress thus far and recommendations. You can be completely honest because I'm holding on to the last optimism I have. Thanks in advance.

Pic 1 - Pre procedure

Pic 2 - 3 days post op

Pics 3&4 Today (under the light and minimal lighting.

IMG_2281.jpg.490e8e0b76e6d1ac90be64d40d5a0f71.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg.54cb9f7997a0444af12fabd7bd2c8d2b.jpg

FullSizeRender3.jpg.24bbca93df7cd0303fc1846253d773cd.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpg.b25a6ee20fe8ff300c6f958ff9e51ed9.jpg

Why did you chose to go with FUE? Do you have any recent photos to post?

He probably did not want to get a tattoo on the back of his head to cover his strip scar like Jamie Foxx... Seeing his pics, he likes to cut his hair very short, like many AA males. Makes sense to go FUE.

I think your hair is looking quite good. Have you discussed your concerns with your doc? If some of the planted grafts didn't grow you may want to discuss your options. He should stand behind the work if the growth was subpar.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for all of your responses. I contacted the Doc last night and waiting on his response. I will consider going back to him if my left side doesn't fill. I decided against FUT because I'm afraid of the scar. I'm military, so we're required to wear our hair short.

Hopefully that left side starts to fill in more for you. Will be interested to see what the doc has to say.

All in all, it's not the worst case scenario at the moment, and you still have several months left for it to keep growing. Hoping for the best.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Curly hair is the hardest kind of follicle to extract because the graft is actually curved like a hockey stick. So there is more injury when removing them. I know you are worried about the scar with respect to FUT, but you may want to rethink that worry as your best bet for better yield in the future is with FUT, not FUE.

If your doctor places takes the strip from high up in the donor area you should be able to wear a high and tight with no problem. We have military patients and police who do that all the time. Works like a charm.

Also, since you have black skin your FUE holes are going to heal white and begin to stand out. Another round of FUE will only accentuate that so you would have to wear your hair a bit longer anyway.

Best to you.

Dr. Feller

• 1 year later...

Hi, Mop85. How has your growth come along?

Hi, everyone. No single punch size indicates a patient's hair characteristics (kinky or curly), and no single punch size can be used for harvesting any two patients' donor regions at the exact yield rate in the same surgeon's hands. Dr. Patrick Mwamba has developed a very successful yield in patients with Black hair, the most difficult to extract with FUE. As an expert in Black hair, MYWHTC clinic's FUE results are pleasing in both the donor area and recipient area. This type of surgery takes patience, innovation, and dedication.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians