My 4000 grafts repair with Dr. Erdogan – September 29th and 30th

Danyb

Hi everyone, I just underwent my first out of a two day surgery with Dr. Koray Erdogan in Istanbul and wanted to share my story.

First, I wanted to thank Denny (Dr. Ergonan's online representative) for being so optimistic and supportive during the process of choosing the doctor. I’ve been researching for four years and saw a few excellent docs before reaching my decision and Denny was always honest and truly looked for my best interest. It was a tough choice as I underwent 3 FUT procedures previously, with poor results and this was my last shot to fix my situation.

My repair journey

I am 37 years old and had my first 2 FUT surgeries back in 2006 and 2008 with a brazilian "butcher doc" called Miguel Sorrentino that left me with an unknown number of micrografts and this terrible scar. I've been on and off propecia, but now I am back on.

I had my third FUT procedure with Dr. Feller, trying to fix the mess, addressing the frontal/mid scalp with 2500 grafts, but that did not quite solve my problem. Since then I went to live consultations with Rahal, Bisanga and Lorenzo and emailed Dr. Erdogan and Dr. Umar. Every doc made a different evaluation and only Lorenzo and Dr. Erdogan gave me hope saying my donor could potentially have 3000 grafts. Umar said I needed about 4500 derived from different parts of my body and Bisanga was more pessimistic and said I had 1000 and he could do some beard and chest grafts (600) as test into the scar/crown.

Choosing the doctor

I chose Dr. Koray for his extensive documented work, patient pictures and reputation. I also met Denny in person who shared his experience and showed me his recent procedure. Back in July I made the final arrangements to have surgery performed on September 29 and 30. He had estimated 3000# based on my pictures.

Asmed, Dr. Koray, staff and pre op

I arrived in Istanbul last Thursday (25th) as I had to be in town for his in person consultation last Friday, the 26th of September. I went to the clinic and was very much welcomed by the staff. Sevinj, Dr. Koray assistant whom with I've been communicating was there to greet me.

I was very impressed with the clinic itself. It's a brad new, state of the art facility, very clean and organized. I spent some time at the waiting room until I was taken downstairs for pictures and documentation. Then I was taken to another room to have a blood test and my blood pressure verified.

A bit after I went for a consultation with Dr. Koray. He had then the first chance to examine me. Went through a few standard procedures; he asked a few questions, heard my previous ht's stories, filled up a form to check my health condition.

He then surprisingly said what was really good news to me. He said I still had the possibility of extracting 4000 grafts via FUE. My hair caliber was varying a little, but I don't remember how many microns it had. He made some calculations in order to check the area that needed to be covered.

I was taken downstairs to shave and wash my head so they could have a better idea of my donor and scar. Dr. Koray then asked me my expectations and I expressed my trust in his experience based on what he thought would be more appropriate in my case.

He then draw my hairline, and estimated 1200 grafts for the frontal/mid scalp and 2800 to covered my crown and hide the plugs. Some more pictures were taken at the photo room.

I left the clinic and spent the weekend sightseeing Istanbul in a very rainy and cold weekend, but had a great time.

Surgery – Monday, 29th September - 1 st day

7:45 am - Driver picked me up right on time at the Radisson Blu hotel, 10 minutes away.

7:55am – Sevinj and as well as Emilio, the translator welcomed me at the door

8 am - Shave and wash the hair

8:15 am – Light breakfast

8:30 am – Back massage and oral anestesia given by Dr.Umut

8:45 am – Another doctor, takes me to a separate room to draw the donor area in my scalp

9 am – I am taken to the surgery room and Dilek arrives

9:15am – Local anestesia is aplied and surgery starts with graft removal from the left side of my head - foot massage is offered

11:45am – Grafting finishes

12pm – I had lunch and another anestesia is administrated.

12:30pm- Dr. Koray makes the incisions, which might have taken about 30-40 minutes, bt I am not sure as I was awake, but under the anestesia.

1pm- Implantation begins by techs

3pm – Surgery ends – Had a fresh orange juice and Emilio gave me an anti-inflammatory, pain killers and some kind of spray.

3:10pm – Aplication of laser over the area to help healing process.

3:15pm - Driver takes me back to the hotel.

Dilek was amazing and said she was slower then the usual, as my case was delicate. Didn't seem slow to me, but apparently she can extract 21 grafts per minute. Everyone in surgery room was great and things went smooth. I chatted a lot with Emilio who is the spanish translator and Dr. Umut.

The anestesia injections were a little bit painful, but the rest of the procedure went pretty well, with some more sensitive areas than others. I chose not to ask more anestesia as the little pain was bearable. Dr. Koray came in the operation room and said that my average density was good, around 2.3 and that the quality of my grafts was excellent.

Now I am off to bed as I have to be up at 7 am again. I have PRP treatment scheduled after the second day and micropigmantation on the scar on Wednesday. Will post more pictures soon and when I get them from the clinic.

Ready for day 2, and for a new chapter in my life. Dr. Koray gave me hope and I am very happy for that. Looking forward for my final result.

PS: Some pre op pictures taken by me last Friday after shaving and today post op

IMG_2252.jpg.233af86832b1114103a7a7ae43c39840.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg.4cdf5ac2553ce0c0033346ddc68d54ee.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg.3e70d55c4f128602d1865f7f8f91654b.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg.9999adecd1946115ddf10605f39a1cef.jpg

DSCN2772.jpg.2369cba1e58a2b7f457a7d5e57fe285d.jpg

5b32e192dfe44_2013-12-0614_21_55.jpg.17000f87556bd4f81338fc1238eee2af.jpg

Edited by Danyb

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations and thanks for sharing such a detailed account of your procedure! Cant' wait to see how this turns out for you.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Just got back from my second day at Asmed and everything went as planned:

Tuesday, 30th September - 2nd day

7:45 am - Driver picked me up right on time at the hotel.

8 am - Shave right side (donor) and wash the hair, including the first transplanted area

8:30 am – Oral anestesia given by Dr.Umut

8:45 am – I am taken to the surgery room

9 am – Local anestesia is aplied and surgery starts with graft removal from the right side of my head - foot massage is offered

10 am - Blood is taken to make the PRP

11:15 am – Grafting finishes and had a 5 minute break

11:20 pm – Dr. Koray makes the incisions, which took about 30-40 minutes

12 pm- Lunch break

12:45 pm- Implantation in the crown begins by techs (2000 grafts)

3:30 pm – Surgery ends

3:45 pm – Aplication of laser over the area to help healing process.

4 pm - Driver takes me back to the hotel.

I was overall very well impressed with my experience, especially with Dr. Koray professionalism and attitude. He was always smiling and is very friendly. The staff was also incredible and very focused. I will soon post the graft breakdown and the clinic pictures.

Now let's hope for a rapid recovery and good growing. Had no swelling whatsoever after surgery, which was great news.

IMG_2494.jpg.8c9e2a6f57e3e39ac0d43f957f96b4ec.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg.6a34b0b4b8b39d226336a4d7bd9e858d.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg.6941eca03e6fbcddc04687d515a14a87.jpg

Edited by Danyb

This morning I went back to Asmed for the hair wash and some scab removal from the drying blood and PRP. I also went back to the clinic in the afternoon to have the micropigmentation in the scar. Delek performed it after applying a little anestesia. It was a little painful but not to bad compared to the benefit of it.

I also got the graft count: 4007 grafts in 2 days

Single: 803 / Double: 1946 / Triple: 1091 / Multiple: 167

General average per graft: 2.15

Here is a picture of my scar after the micropigmentation. Should post the clinic pictures tomorrow.

IMG_2527.jpg.3a97b62664b797b6335776052d90bb19.jpg

thanks for sharing your story, such an amazing journey and experience you've gone through ... I hope this procedure really changes things for you, best of luck and please post photo updates!

Hi Home1212, thanks for your message. I have been increasingly disappointed over the years with ht's and wished for many times I had never done it. I really hope this procedure will finally make me see otherwise. Dr. Erdogan was fantastic and gave me hope. Let's wish for the best. I will keep posting my development.

Work looks impressive, you have picked one of the best FUE surgeons in the world. I'll be keeping

Tabs on this thread!

Thanks Mickey. I am happy with my decision so far. It's been a week today, healing is goig well. Will post pictures tomorrow.

Really good news that they were able to harvest over 4000 grafts from the scalp alone quite incredible you must be so happy right now. I wish you all the best and I really hope this session finally gets you to where you deserve to be. It has been a long journey for you and it has been nice chatting with you with pm. I look forward to following your progress.

I would be interested in how the smp works out for you in the scar. As I said to you once you have healed up laxity exercises are really important to get that scar fixed, it looks low but even so if you have the laxity a decent improvement should be possible.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson