Does Fraxel really work on scars?

Hi Everyone,

Doe's fraxel really work on improving and flattening scars?

Does it also improve the texture to match the surrounding skin?

I have some raised area's ( a little) and the texture is soft in the back.

I considering smp on my scar and i want my scar to look as good as it can to get it for a better percentage of coverage.

I spoke with Dr Umar what his thoughts were on fraxel on the scar and he really didn't know. He told me he never done this procedure on a scar before. But we can try it he said.

Before i spend $1,500, i would love this forums advice.

Thanks so much everyone.

I'll check in later.

Jrbiz

Like anything else, the response to fraxel between individuals varies. I know of several guys with strip scars that had some level of success with it, nothing that I would consider a major cosmetic improvement, but still, any improvement is a good thing. My observation has been that fraxel has more potential in improving the discoloration of the scar more than anything else.

Kind of surprised that Dr. Umar was not more familiar and acquainted with fraxel. You may want to research more repair docs, especially those using FUE methods in repair.

There is a repair patient by the handle of NEGuy that I believe that had some good success with it but I think it was on several of his smaller flatter strip scars. He had multiple FUHT with roughly six strip scars, some had revisions but his best resolve has been adding FUE in multiple low density sessions.

Scar revisions rarely work out favorably with raised scars IMHO. Even laser has more potential for resolve in some patients that I have observed.

Sincerely hope things work out for you...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Kind of surprised that Dr. Umar was not more familiar and acquainted with fraxel. You may want to research more repair docs, especially those using FUE methods in repair.

Yes is a bit frustrating. I have also contacted many renowned surgeons, Umar being one, and none would actually recommend or explain what should I expect from a fraxel treatment on my strip scar.

For what I've been reading, one of the benefits of the fraxel sessions is to improve colagen formation and increase blood flow on the scar.

Lack of blood flow being one of the major problems of FUE into scar, I thought surgeons would be more prone to at least looking into this option.

It may be because Fraxel is not used in conjunction with the procedure itself.

There was a small hype back in January regarding the use of Liposomol ATP which is used in conjunction with the procedure and is supposed to increase vacillation to help minimize scarring during the healing process and even increase the overall yield.

Lots of docs started using it but have not heard much about it since that time. It might be because it is expensive and an additional cost to the surgery.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Jrbiz,

I have pretty ferocious strip scar 5 to 14mm all the way around past my ears. It was I totally raised dramatically and redder than the devil.

I did several rounds of cortisone shots which made a huge difference in how raised it was instantly.

I've also done 5 rounds of vbeam am laser to get the red out. That also has made a significant difference in the redness.

I'm doing 1 more vbeam and then doing some Fraxel. Will keep you posted. Working with very experienced laser dr and she's confident fraxel will help it go from slightly raised to flat.

But cortisone and vbeam did make a difference.

My plan is to either go on some epic beard hair grafting mission or tattoo it and just live with it. I realize neither may work but I hope this helps.

Reach out any questions jetfan11@hotmail.com

I don't think Fraxel will help much. Like the previous poster said, cortisone injections are much more reliable in flattening scars, while Vbeam would be more effective towards reducing the redness. I know many people who've done many sessions of Fraxel for things like acne scars on the face, and frankly it doesn't work.

You very well may be right on the fraxel. And you are right on the cortisone injections. They absolutely flattened my scars a huge amount. Thing is if I do anymore cortisone my scars could become indented. And with SMP an indented scar is absolute worst scenario. Worse than being slightly raised. Im pretty determined not to make my situation worse. Ive also talked to tons of guys who did SMP and fraxel in almost every case fraxel flattened their scars. My dr is very confident it will as well.

Moreover I don't even think SMP is the greatest solution either. Im well aware it could fade or turn blue. Id honestly give it a 30% chance of working at best. And I don't even care if people see my scar I just want it passable so I can move on.

Im doing last vbeam tomorrow actually. Then a test patch with fraxel in 6 weeks. Ill keep everyone posted so at least I can help someone else who is considering fraxel.

I don't recommend SMP in scars either due to the high probability of it not being permanent and the discoloration that can come later. There is also a risk of infection if the ink is not sterilized. In one case I know of, it later caused some of the tissue to disintegrate and resulted in a visible depression of the area.

Good to hear that some laser treatments are showing more promise with raised scars.

Fraxel like Mederma have some wide varying results. Fraxel is applied in a series of applications and again, the results vary.

One guy I know is looking into injection body fat into his long atrophic scar and then adding FUE grafts later. He had some good initial results with Fraxel.

Gillenator

My observation has been that fraxel has more potential in improving the discoloration of the scar more than anything else.

By that you mean reducing the redness or bringing the scar's color to match the surrounding skin color, in cases of hypopigmented scars?

My strip scar is hypopigmented, so I was hoping fraxel could address that.

I'm doing last vbeam tomorrow actually. Then a test patch with fraxel in 6 weeks. Ill keep everyone posted so at least I can help someone else who is considering fraxel.

Great mate, please keep us posted, I'm very interested in the results.

My plan is to either go on some epic beard hair grafting mission or tattoo it and just live with it. I realize neither may work but I hope this helps.

Have you looked closely into FUE into FUT scar? There are some pretty impressive works, even with the hair trimmed down to low grades.

Hey. I think fraxel can help color too. Vbeam is designed to eliminate redness. In my case 6 vbeam a made huge difference in redness.

I've looked into due but my scar is like Grand Canyon and don't have enough scalp hair to cover it. Talked with dr. about beard hair in scar and I'm open to it.

Problem is hair below my scar is really weak so even if did 3 mega beard sessions, it grew and my face didn't scar I'm still destined to lose hair below scar and that wouldn't be a good look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have yet to see an HT scar that fraxel would be the first choice on as an improvement options.

Scars either widen...in which case revising or placing hair in the scar are probably the 2 best options, neither of which has a guarantee....but what in the world would resurfacing do to a wide scar except make the scar's skin maybe have a better color match...it won't narrow it.

OR scars hypertrophy...in which case steroid injections, vitamin e, and silicone may help...Again, what would fraxel do...irritate the area more most likely.

Fraxel is useful for wrinkles and pigment problems on the face, my associate has 2 machines. Frankly I think chemical peels allow more artistry but the public loves lasers.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Moderators

The problem with most hair transplant scars is not that there is a scar, but that there is no hair growing there. If there was hair growing in the area you wouldn't notice any scar. My opinion is that the only thing that is really going to make a difference is to either put hair into the scar or reduce the width by surgical extraction.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I have a client who came to us for SMP into his strip scars. His scarring was long and thin. Unfortunately it was also raised and pink in spots. He had done a few sessions of laser and felt it made it flatter and less pink. I told him that he would need to get the scar even flatter and whiter before attempting SMP, so he was going back for a few more sessions. If he returns I'll document his laser results here, as well as his SMP results.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I know of someone who used the product Prosil on their child's heart op scar with really good results.

It is available in the UK from a company called Amred Healthcare Limited which is a speciality healthcare company focused on scar management and dermatology

It is also prescribed by the UK NHS so is a proven product. Best of all it is relatively cheap to try out. According to the website, it has also won the 'My Face My Body' award.

For approximately ?20, its got to be worth a punt.

Dr Bhatti FUE Oct 2014 3305 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html