Dr. Bernstein visit - FUT for next week - Need any help/advice

Hey guys,

I am in really desperate need of advice/experience. I saw Dr. Bernstein today who I liked. He said that he would do 2200 grafts which would make the hairline I still have more dense. He said that he's not going to try and extend the hairline so it's no longer receding because it doesn't look natural. Just round it out and thicken it. I'm on Avodart and have managed to keep my hair loss upfront pretty steady over the last few years. I apparently have a donor density of 2.3 which he said was good- no idea what that means.

He wouldn't touch the crown, just to about my mid scalp as he said I am holding up ok back there. I'm 31 and having been slowly losing my hair since 20 years old. I just feel like my hairline is getting to the point where it's now or never.

I suggested FUE, but he said that with my long hair it would be better to do FUT. The last thing I want to do is have to shave any part of my head in preparation. Apparently he said he invented FUT.

Thoughts?? He has an opening to do the procedure next week and I need to confirm tomorrow.

IMG_0581.jpg.21922983d4df2a718f6aa9a58cede881.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg.bc85ced296fe138ae716ff7fceb37d86.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg.1979610e36ae0c4b8956f8033f160fb5.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg.0fc88e7c4a4df570c28041f6fdce5c05.jpg

He most definitely did not invent FUT.

Bernstein is a good surgeon...but I don't see this board peppered with good results of his. Besides, his prices are absolutely astronomical. I do like his website, however...full of really helpful information.

Have you consulted with other surgeons in the area? There's no shortage of recommended docs within a 100 mile radius of Bernstein.

I chose not to commit. I'm also seeing Feller, Wesley and T/D. I actually like the results on Bernsteins website.

I'm choosing to do FUT because i keep my hair somewhat long, and even Wesley, who says patients don't have to shave their heads, says the hair has to be below 2mm.

You're on the right track to make the most informed choice as possible . I'd also recommend consulting with Dr. Beehner, who is up in the Albany area. He does consults in Newburgh, which is about an hour north of the city.

I chose not to commit. I'm also seeing Feller, Wesley and T/D. I actually like the results on Bernsteins website.

I'm choosing to do FUT because i keep my hair somewhat long, and even Wesley, who says patients don't have to shave their heads, says the hair has to be below 2mm.

Bernstein is very knowledgeable and a pioneer, but I felt he was overpriced and too conservative for my taste. I ended up going to Dr. Feller and I'm very glad I did. I also think Dr.Wesley does great work and I've seen some very nice results from T&D.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I think Bernstein gets a bad rap on this forum - he tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. He's studied every aspect of the procedure to get the best yield, and also the aesthetics of graft placement, as well as the donor scar.

His thing is for the transplant to look good not only right afterwards but also 30, 40 years down the line.

I've seen one patient with poor grown with Dr. Bernstein on this forum - and the office did everything they could to help him. I've never seen a Dr. Bernstein patient complain about graft placement, or need a repair afterwards.

I visited a couple of physicians when I was looking at having a HT - some of them drew hairlines lower than I've ever had.

He is expensive, a bit conservative. What you're paying for is the fact he's studied objectively each step of the procedure to figure out the best way to have near 100% growth, a minimal scar, and a completely natural result. What you pay for is if 10 years down the road you can't take dutasteride any more, or it stops working - your result will look completely natural.

There are other surgeons like this - and pick the one you are most comfortable with. The only good deal is if you get a great result.

I would do more research if I was you. Bernstein seems to be very conservative and although respected, I haven't seen any "wow" results from him. People who go to him tend to want a more conservative approach. I remember him being a little more expensive as well. I think there are better options if you want to stay in NY (True and Dorin).

This is not something you jump into...do your RESEARCH...this is key as you don't want to make a mistake now and pay for it later on.

I have done as much research as humanly possible on all of these guys (Feller, Bernstein, Wesley, True/Dorin). I have read every possible review and looked at every single before and after photo on all of these forums and I haven't read anything bad. I guess I am naive but I don't understand how they can all have such good reputations and be so prolific if they are scarring people and producing poor results...

I really like the hairline work that Feller produces and am seeing him next week. Same with True/Dorin.

Is posting bad reviews or nightmare experiences not allowed on these sites or something?

I have done as much research as humanly possible on all of these guys (Feller, Bernstein, Wesley, True/Dorin). I have read every possible review and looked at every single before and after photo on all of these forums and I haven't read anything bad. I guess I am naive but I don't understand how they can all have such good reputations and be so prolific if they are scarring people and producing poor results...

I really like the hairline work that Feller produces and am seeing him next week. Same with True/Dorin.

Is posting bad reviews or nightmare experiences not allowed on these sites or something?

People post poor reviews pretty often. I agree that Dr. Bernstein may be telling you what you need to hear, but you should get another in person opinion. T and D and Dr. Wesley have out some good results and I am seeing less results from Dr. Feller, but he's put out some good work too.

It just depends on the doc and your result as far as how posting a poor review goes. Sometimes the doctor gets hung out to dry, sometimes it gets put on patient expectations, sometimes people just say it's bad luck or bad donor characteristics. In any case, you are free to write whatever your of review you want.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

and I am seeing less results from Dr. Feller, but he's put out some good work too.

I also have mixed thoughts on Feller, some of the regular posters here have had homeruns withe the doc but haven't seen much lately.

Whatever happened to tacolinowest btw?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

If your hair loss bothers you, and a conservative doctor (like Dr. Bernstein) thinks you are a good candidate - you've minimized the risks.

It is worth it for the right person. One thing you could try doing to help make up your mind is to try one of the hair thickeners like topik. If you put it in, and you're happy with your existing hairline but with a fuller appearance, then you have an answer to the approach you should take.

All ethical HT physicians know that there is always a risk that the result will look unnatural if hair loss progresses. I think Dr. Bernstein looks at the worst case scenario for an individual and plans accordingly. Other physicians go with a more moderate worse case scenario.

If you are willing to take a greater risk, you go with a less conservative surgeon. If you want to minimize risk, you go with a more conservative surgeon.

Try looking at men's hairlines - but not men in their 20's - look at late 30's, 40's, 50's and see where they are - especially if their hair is a little thin.

Probably not helpful for you :).

I've often wondered the same thing about not so stellar results. I have an appointment with T/D next week and picked them because of this forum. I am a women and am wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of other docs in NY area. I actually live in NJ but haven't seen any doc's mentioned that reside in NJ. I really liked Dr Bernstein's website but you can tell just by reading it the cost is going to be through the roof. Does anyone have an example of his cost compared to someone like a T/D? I don't even know If I'm allowed to ask that question on this forum so sorry if that was a miss step. I think. I'm going to need 1000-2000 grafts. I am starting to thin in my temple area, my hairline doesn't need lowering.

Thanks in advance.

Hey So Fetch,

God I have the same questions as you, I've been told T/D (Who I am seeing today) as well as Wesley and Deller. I've already seen Bernstein. Judging from this site and comments, apparently nobody has ever had a good experience with anyone and I need to do "Years" more research. So frustrating.

All of the Doctors mentioned are great surgeons and recommended by the Network.

Regarding Dr Bernstein - he is a great surgeon.

He does not have a forum following because he is ultra conservative with his approach to hair restoration. There is nothing wrong with that at all although an ultra conservative will never give WOW results that are sometimes seen in my opinion. It couldn't possibly as hair restoration is the "illusion of density" nearly all of the time. But you only have to look at his pedigree to realise he has been one of the key surgeons that has helped the industry propel forward in a positive way to the position it is in today.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

ChrisDav, thank you so much for the realistic advise. I cannot tell you how many people on these forums have called me an idiot for only doing a couple months of research instead of years. The fact is also that I cannot leave NYC so I am limited but all the above mentioned have great reputations so I can't imagine it can go too wrong.

I think a lot of people on here are still upset from prior transplants done poorly by subpar surgeons, so they are understandably cautious,.

Unfortunately Rocksteady, some people will dismiss a surgeon altogether if he does not do large fue, have an aggressive approach to restoration or both of them combined. It is nonsense.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I have looked at most pictures Dr. Bernstein has ever put online and been very pleased. I can't say I have ever met a patient of his though. I think a conservative approach is the best way to go hands down. While he didn't invent FUT, his name is associated with the pioneers of the industry. However, the other surgeons you mentioned are very reputable as well. At your age a conservative approach would be the best move, in my humble opinion.

Good luck, sounds like you are taking the right steps. If you choose not to proceed that is fine too, just make an informed decision.

Thousands of people on this forum have experienced results that have altered the course of their lives. Perhaps that sounds a little extreme, but never underestimate what improved self esteem can do to one's outlook in life...

That said...it sounds like you're seeking a guarantee that you're going to get results that meet your expectations. There is no such thing.

However, you've done your homework...and are fortunate to have numerous excellent options in your area if you're unwilling to travel. These doctors all have long histories of not only providing superb results, but also rock-solid integrity. Based on their reputations, I would be confident that if something did go wrong (highly unlikely), any of these surgeons would make it right.

Sometimes you just have to 'go for it'. Everyone is nervous to the extreme before their 1st HT--I certainly was. I got over the nerves, and can absolutely say getting a HT was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

God now i don't know whether a transplant is worth it after all the horror stories

Thanks for everyone's advise guys. I met with all the doctors and have made a choice. The doctor is recommending doing 2200-2500(max) I said why not more, just out of curiosity, and he said that doing a mass transplant will actually cause me to lose or destroy some of the natural hairs I still have. So, he said start with this, and if a year later I want more done that can easily be done. Perfect, honest advise.

He knew he could have convinced me to do much more, which would mean more $ for him, but he actually cared about the results which I greatly appreciated. I also met with him for almost an hour.

I am now confident to move forward.

Who did you decide to go with Rocksteady in the end?