I've Seen Dr. Rahal's Work - But Not Impressed

I was thinking of seeing Dr. Rahal to get a HT done after seeing impressive before and after pics of patients on his website. I haven't read any negative reviews about him. But sadly, I recently saw 2 threads by pateints of Rahal who had shown their pics at a year post op. And I got to say, the HT did not look good at all. They were young guys who expected dense hair like patients on his website.

I really want to see Rahal. But I dont want to end up looking like those guys.

Can anyone who has done a HT with Rahal show their pics to give me confidence in seeing him? Because so far, I really am disappointed.

Dr. Rahal is a very capable surgeon and designs amazing/natural hairlines, IMO. And he has shown some very impressive results for sure, however, he does tend to post results of youngish guys with minimal loss and large session sizes. While I don't think it's his intention to mislead people, I can see how it might cause newbies to think they will surely get a home run result like that every time. Were the patients you are referring to badly thinned/receded? Also, how many grafts did they get?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Taurusrisen,

Every good surgeon will have a small number of unhappy patients relative to happy patients which can be for several reasons. I do believe younger guys with minimal loss can be one of the hardest subsets to completely satisfy.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

It's a personal decision, so just go with a doctor whose results do impress you.

No need to be "forced" into going with a doctor you don't feel comfortable with.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

It's a personal decision, so just go with a doctor whose results do impress you.

No need to be "forced" into going with a doctor you don't feel comfortable with.

But Rahal impresses me. Where in my post did I mention I was forced?

Taurusrisen,

Every good surgeon will have a small number of unhappy patients relative to happy patients which can be for several reasons. I do believe younger guys with minimal loss can be one of the hardest subsets to completely satisfy.

You said that the most problematic group for hair restoration is young guys. Are you saying that older guys have a better chance that their HTs will turn out better with less complications (i.e., shock loss) than young guys?

Taur,

Have you reviewed the patient results posted on his Coalition profile?

For what it's worth, I've always been highly impressed by his work.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Taur,

Have you reviewed the patient results posted on his Coalition profile?

For what it's worth, I've always been highly impressed by his work.

Hey future.. I did look at that section. But the pics there look like theyve been uploaded by the doc, not the patient using his cam or phone. So I'm a bit suspicious of that. I want actual reviews and pics of patients by patients, not by docs.

I didnt see any pics by Rahal in it. Maybe I missed it or hes not included.

Rahal is one of the best in the business period. I agree that young guys with minimal to moderate loss are hard to satisfy not because HT "Work" better on older guys but because young guys are generally looking for their hair to be restored to close to native density; especially the ones not very familiar with HT and just going by before and after pics.

Rahal really is one of the best and I would not think twice about going to him or a third procedure :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I agree that young guys with minimal to moderate loss are hard to satisfy not because HT "Work" better on older guys but because young guys are generally looking for their hair to be restored to close to native density; especially the ones not very familiar with HT and just going by before and after pics.

But before and after pics is what EVERYONE, young and old, judge a HT doc by. Its the best thing that motivates one to either see that doc or not. What else is there, smoke signals?

Guys of any age want thick hair. I've seen 1 year post op pics of old and young guys with thick hair. Its not an age thing.

All docs post pics of patients with the thickest hair. So of course patients are goimg to expect what they see in those pics.

I originally asked if there were Rahal patients here. Are any of you dissatisfied by his work on you?

If you want to see a bad Rahal result, PM me, since we can't post links on this forum.

For some reason when I click on your PM link, it doesnt work. I'd appreciate it if you can send me links to my email address: si.leebo@gmail.com

I need to ask, have you had work done by Rahal? Which docs do you recommend that are better?

But before and after pics is what EVERYONE, young and old, judge a HT doc by. Its the best thing that motivates one to either see that doc or not. What else is there, smoke signals?

Guys of any age want thick hair. I've seen 1 year post op pics of old and young guys with thick hair. Its not an age thing.

All docs post pics of patients with the thickest hair. So of course patients are goimg to expect what they see in those pics.

I originally asked if there were Rahal patients here. Are any of you dissatisfied by his work on you?

I am very satisfied. Before and after pics are important but getting to know all the ins and outs of HT is most important so you can understand its limitations, how good of a canidate you are, etc. I guess what I am saying is that docs are not miracle workers so when judging results, you have to really make sure you compare it to where that patient was preop. This sounds obvious but I see thick post op results posted and everyone goes nuts with the complements. I am talking about for example a NW 2 who gets 2500 grafts stuffed in the hairline. Of course its going to look thick. The question is can that doc make a more advanced NW level guy look much better post op with the same number of grafts?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I have never had an HT, nor am I even saying that he is a bad surgeon or that I wouldn't consider going to him, but just want to provide balance, which I believe is necessary.

KO, thank you for pming me the 2 links. Poor guy.. I feel bad for his necrosistic scar. But why didnt Rahal do something about this scar if it developed as he gave him the HT? Why didnt this guy in the very beginning see a dermotologist to treat it right away? Why didnt he seek legal advice about this?

I really think Rahal is a very good doc. I dont mean to defend anyone. But this may be one of a few cases that will happen to any HT by any HT doc.

I need to get mattj's input on this. I dont want this to discourage me from seeing Rahal.

Edited by taurusrisen

But Rahal impresses me. Where in my post did I mention I was forced?

I'm confused, your thread title says otherwise.

I mean if you're not impressed don't waste your time to consider him among possible surgeons

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

I'm confused, your thread title says otherwise.

I mean if you're not impressed don't waste your time to consider him among possible surgeons

What I meant is, I'm impressed overall by his work. But if you took the time to read my post (which you shouldve done instead of sounding like an ass), you wouldve read that I saw pics of his patients that didnt look good. As a result, that marred my overall positive impression of him.

Why are you so defensive? Were you a patient of his?

nah, I did read your post and like the others here was trying to give you advice based on past experience

if there's something you don't like about a doctor's work it should be a red flag

Why are you so defensive?

I would like to ask you the same question, we're not like that on this forum

go dense or go home

nah, I did read your post and like the others here was trying to give you advice based on past experience

if there's something you don't like about a doctor's work it should be a red flag

I understand. But I really like Rahal. I think he's one of the best. But I must ask questions that may make people uncomfortable before I decide to actually see him. This is the only way that I can feel safe and confident to ensure hes the right doc for me.

I think Dr.Rahal is one of the best FUT doctors in the world.

There are only a very select few doctors I would

actually choose and he would be one of them.

No matter what profession, no matter what medical specialty

there will always be a few unhappy clients even if an elite

doctor is chosen. No one realistically has a perfect record.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I think Dr.Rahal is one of the best FUT doctors in the world.

There are only a very select few doctors I would

actually choose and he would be one of them.

No matter what profession, no matter what medical specialty

there will always be a few unhappy clients even if an elite

doctor is chosen. No one realistically has a perfect record.

I agree and he's definitely one of the best HT surgeons in the world. But I got to cover my bases first to make sure I'm making the right decision. I think most people would understand that.

I would consider making a list of at least three possible surgeons to go with, for example in the case of FUT, Rahal, Hasson and Konior. (for FUE: Rahal, Bisanga, Lorenzo as an example)

Then make a checklist of their weak and strong points and come up with a scorecard.

Also possibly meeting directly with the doctors and also some former patients if possible would help with your decision.

Just gives you more options and information as a patient.

go dense or go home

I agree and he's definitely one of the best HT surgeons in the world. But I got to cover my bases first to make sure I'm making the right decision. I think most people would understand that.

Dude if you look hard enough there will be results for every coalition doctor here that you don't consider that impressive, even Dr Lorenzo probably (which is saying a lot). As others have said no doctor has a 100% satisfaction record if you look for the negatives in results, then you will find them with every doctor here. So when you talk about covering your bases, I think you need to acknowledge to yourself that you cannot be 100% confident that the surgery will turn out the way you want it to, irrespective of what doctor you go with. But you can be satisfied that if you go with someone like one of the highly regarded doctors here such as Rahal, Konier, Bisanga, Erdogan, Feriduni, Lorenzo etc that you are giving yourself the best possible chance of getting the result you require.

Dude if you look hard enough there will be results for every coalition doctor here that you don't consider that impressive, even Dr Lorenzo probably (which is saying a lot). As others have said no doctor has a 100% satisfaction record if you look for the negatives in results, then you will find them with every doctor here. So when you talk about covering your bases, I think you need to acknowledge to yourself that you cannot be 100% confident that the surgery will turn out the way you want it to, irrespective of what doctor you go with. But you can be satisfied that if you go with someone like one of the highly regarded doctors here such as Rahal, Konier, Bisanga, Erdogan, Feriduni, Lorenzo etc that you are giving yourself the best possible chance of getting the result you require.

Yeah I'm glad you said that. Especially when you said that going with one of the best docs will give me the best possible chamce for success. I looked at Lorenzo from Spain. Personally hes the best HT surgeon in Europe. Wish he were in USA though. I was considering Dr. Dorin. But in the end I'm gravitating to Rahal. I'm hoping if I go with him that my HT will turn out spectacular.

I wonder why shock loss exists when it shouldnt. That factor worries me a lot. Isnt there a medication or something out there that can lessen or get rid of it?