Proper Time for Hair Transplant?

Hi all,

I have decided to move on to a FUE HT, I am just looking for the best timing!

I was never into meds and I only recently started using minoxidil, biotin and Revivogen shampoo. I cannot go to Finasteride for medical reasons. My hair loss is quite aggressive the last months. This is a stressful period for me too, not sure if this has an impact. I am 31.

I am not sure if I should proceed to the HT asap (next 1-2 months) or wait (and hope!) for my hair loss to stabilise (and go for December). I am worried about the shock loss in the first case.

Any help here?

Many thanks!

You ideally should be on Minoxidil and your other treatments for at least 6 months prior to the HT. Typically doctors will completely transplant over miniaturized areas, but if you've been on treatment for a while a lot of those miniaturized hairs could come back strong and not need to be transplanted over.

You also said you've been experiencing a lot of hairloss lately, which to me sounds like you're not ready. You should try to stabilize your hairloss beforehand.

You don't want to go down the HT route without being on Finasteride--you'll waste not only lots of money, but precious donor supply. At the age of 31, its highly doubtful that your loss has stabilized. Is there some other medical reason--aside from the potential sexual side effects (which are quite mild. from my experience)--why you can't get on Finasteride?

Hi all,

I have decided to move on to a FUE HT, I am just looking for the best timing!

I was never into meds and I only recently started using minoxidil, biotin and Revivogen shampoo. I cannot go to Finasteride for medical reasons. My hair loss is quite aggressive the last months. This is a stressful period for me too, not sure if this has an impact. I am 31.

I am not sure if I should proceed to the HT asap (next 1-2 months) or wait (and hope!) for my hair loss to stabilise (and go for December). I am worried about the shock loss in the first case.

Any help here?

Many thanks!

Thanks for that. I understand what you say and you are right, my hair loss hasn't stabilised yet. For Finasteride, had erection issues in the past and don't want to take any risks, even minors. Discussed it with my doc too. I need to count on minoxidil only, is this any realistic?

No. Minox can work effectively alongside Fin, but is not a substitute. The sexual side effects should be manageable. Unless you're resigned to buzzing or shaving your hair and avoiding the HT route (which is a good option for some), I'd at least give Fin a try for a few months. If the side effects are too much, you can always quit taking it. If you can handle it for 6-12 months, you should be able to stabilize the loss...and hence begin seriously planning a HT.

Thanks for that. I understand what you say and you are right, my hair loss hasn't stabilised yet. For Finasteride, had erection issues in the past and don't want to take any risks, even minors. Discussed it with my doc too. I need to count on minoxidil only, is this any realistic?

Hi Ericc,

Minoxidil will probably help to a certain extent but it doesn't work to block DHT like Propecia does which is the cause of MPB. It may help existing hair a bit but the only thing to really halt hair loss is finasteride but you may have luck still with Minoxidil.

You may want to look in to K?RATENE® alphactive r?tard which claims to work like propecia by blocking DHT but without the side effects. I believe these capsules are fairly new. If you go to the Prohairclinic website they have all the info there and they sell them or just Google it.

All the very best!

By the way Ericc, I had some similar sides when first starting Propecia but they went away after a month or so. Been on it 7 years now. I did go to my GP to tell her about these side effects and she told me to go off it for 2 weeks then restart it and I did this and didn't get the side effects! Not sure why!

I would probably decide against it without being on fin. You look like you are going to proceed to a nw6. If your donor is good and you have a lot of grafts available, I suggest a conservative hairline and would plan on having multiple procedures.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You don't want to go down the HT route without being on Finasteride--you'll waste not only lots of money, but precious donor supply. At the age of 31, its highly doubtful that your loss has stabilized. Is there some other medical reason--aside from the potential sexual side effects (which are quite mild. from my experience)--why you can't get on Finasteride?

Unless you are specifically addressing the OP, I don't agree with a blanket statement that you can't go down the HT route without being on Finasteride. I am sure there are a lot more variables to whether you make a good candidate for hair surgery, such as age, degree and stability of loss etc. Also you cannot project your personal experiences with Finasteride onto a complete stranger (the OP) and assume his experiences with the drug should be as mild as your own experience. I am on Finasteride myself, but don't assume my experience with it and the degree of potential side effects will all be the same as everyone else's.

Having said all that, I do agree it is not wise for the OP to consider surgery at the moment until his hair loss has stabilised. There are alternatives to Finasteride (such as RU) which the OP could explore, but I would wait at least another 2 years before reevaluating whether surgery is right for him.

Thank you all for the advice, very very helpful.

I think I will give it some time with the current conservative treatment (Rogaine, Biotin, Revivogen), and might add something more, like Keratene Retard that London81 mentioned. Doing some research now. Any news from that?

Fina will be my last resort guys, I understand 100% your points but trust me, once you have been through erection issues you really learn what your priorities are! Even if the chances for side effects are 1%!

I feel now I had a misconception for results the long term effects of HT...I should have been in meds earlier. And this NW6 that you see coming really hurts!!! :)