DHT blockers

nettle root

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 5 months later...

Some of the most powerful DHT blockers are dietary fatty acids - Inhibition of steroid 5 alpha-reductase by specific aliphatic unsat... - PubMed - NCBI - for example omega 3 and GLA (gamma linolenic acid). You can get omega 3 by eating fish such as salmon or sardines, or taking fish oil supplements. You can get GLA by taking borage oil supplements. I've definitely found borage oil softgels with 240mg of GLA to have a modest positive effect on my own hair growth.

David Rodgers, MS Nutrition

Nutritionist, Hair Loss Author

Keep in mind that if a natural DHT blocker is even effective, it will likely have the same potential side effects as the gold standard method of Finasteride. This is why I personally don't see much of point to the natural methods, not to mention they're usually less convenient to use.

If you don't believe there is point to using anything natural, I don't know why you're wasting your time on a forum relating solely to natural products. I, on the other hand, do believe the therapies work, and with my full natural-only protocol continue to get solid results like you can see in the picture next to my name.

David Rodgers, MS Nutrition

Nutritionist, Hair Loss Author

If you don't believe there is point to using anything natural, I don't know why you're wasting your time on a forum relating solely to natural products. I, on the other hand, do believe the therapies work, and with my full natural-only protocol continue to get solid results like you can see in the picture next to my name.

I guess it is a bit taboo of me to question the usefulness of natural treatments in the natural remedy subforum. Sometimes a conflicting opinion can be a useful one though.

So far, out of all the natural extracts, including fatty acids, safflower (carthamus tinctorius) appears to be one of the most potent inhibitors of 5a-reductase found in nature, which is associated with increasing both hair growth, and hair follicle number.

5α-reductase inhibition and hair growth promotion of some Thai plants traditionally used for hair treatment

Kumar N, Rungseevijitprapa W, Narkkhong NA, Suttajit M, Chaiyasut C

J. Ethnopharmacol., 2011

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eric,

I would like to thank you kindly for your detailed reply and appologize for taking so long in responding. The best part though is that with the courses I took this semester up here in Ottawa I can really see how these agents could work. And they do, as I've noticed recently from my use of Saw palmetto (along with a couple of other ingredients found in this

"Prairie Naturals, Prostate Support Formula" suppliment)--an idea I took from another helpful member, here!

Thanks, again, and I'll let you know how your suggestion works after a few months.

Cheers,

iiieee

Hi David,

You are another person I should appologize to for taking so long to thank. However, I must say thank-you, indeed, for your suggestion! It turned out gang busters along with the Rogaine Extra Strength I've been using (the original 5%, I should say, not the stuff they're selling now that is really only 2%). I've shown a marked difference in hair density after adding saw palmetto and a couple of other agents that were found in the product I choose (Prairie Naturals, Prostate Support Formula).

I should probably also mention that although my focus was the saw palmetto, I am still actually below the recommended daily dosage for this ingredient at 240mg. So, it might even be the other agents that came with it, including stinging nettle and pumkin . . . Anyway, thought I should share the good news!

Cheers,

iiieee