Laser comb waste of time?

Hi, I have a bosey laser comb I bought two years ago. I was wondering if I should still use it to maintain my hair or is it just really a waste of time? I understand the laser comb wont give me a full head of hair, but at this point I just want to maintain what I have. Thanks

Edit: After posting this I realized the following study is probably biased and should be taken with a grain of salt

I was about to say you should probably throw it out or Ebay it, but to my surprise according to an NCBI study it can be beneficial. Not sure what brand of comb you have but maybe it's not a waste of time.

RESULTS:

Of the 110 patients who completed the study, subjects in the HairMax LaserComb treatment group exhibited a significantly greater increase in mean terminal hair density than subjects in the sham device group (p < 0.0001). Consistent with this evidence for primary effectiveness, significant improvements in overall hair regrowth were demonstrated in terms of patients' subjective assessment (p < 0.015) at 26 weeks over baseline. The HairMax LaserComb was well tolerated with no serious adverse events reported and no statistical difference in adverse effects between the study groups.

CONCLUSIONS:

The results of this study suggest that the HairMax LaserComb is an effective, well tolerated and safe laser phototherapy device for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in males.

Edited by Rootz

i Know its not quite the same thing - but apparently lasers are being used in dentistry now to repair teeth that would otherwise need fillings.

I think it regenerates cells or something, so the teeth heal themselves.

So maybe lasers maybe hold some sort of hope for hair loss?

I was about to say you should probably throw it out or Ebay it, but to my surprise according to an NCBI study it can be beneficial. Not sure what brand of comb you have but maybe it's not a waste of time.

It was not an NCBI study. The NCBI is a repository of information organized for easy access. The study was authored by four individuals, two of which were Dr. Leavitt, former MHR CEO and lead HT surgeon for MHR before they were bought out by Bosley. The second of the four authors was David Michaels, the "inventor" of the Hairmax Laser comb. The study was not unbiased as all studies should be and at least two of the authors had obvious STRONG bias toward proving efficacy for this product. Dr. Leavitt is also the Medical Director for Hairmax Lasercomb. I hope this clarifies the issue.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Yes, it is a waste of time. But it can be used as a red flag to clinics that promote it's use. This gimmicky device might help a potential patient stay away from the clinics that make false promises and produce poor results. If this is something a clinic you were considering promotes then RUN.

Biased "study", to be sure. My primary concern has always been whether or not the laser comb is safe in terms of not "waking up" a latent melanoma skin cancer. Skeptical still at the "results" reported/observed.

It seems like a waste of time, and this is good info to know too!

bump (for the like)

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 4 weeks later...

In my view - Not a waste of time when used with the other prescription, shampoo, conditioner and nutritional supplements. So that we all know - The Bosley Laser Comb is made by the same company that makes the Hairmax Lux 12 - it just has Bosley's name on it. I did the research before I bought mine 2 years ago. Rather than the Bosley version, I bought the Hairmax model for $130 USD less.

For background, I've had two Transplants with 5600 grafts. Currently, I use Finisteride, Bosley Shampoo, Conditioner and Follicle Energizer (Amazon.com), Nioxin Thickening Gel, Biotin Supplement and the LaserComb.

Hopefully, this will help you in your search for answers.