Jet off on Tuesday and procedure on Wednesday!!!!

Well folks, I jet off to Belgium on Tuesday morning at 6am to have my procedure done with Dr Bisanga and the BHR team on Wednesday and Thursday.

I think the realisation has just hit me tonight and the nerves are well and truly kicking in. As far as the procedure goes I'm feeling confident about it and I'm just hoping I'm a good grower. Anyway I think I have everything sorted. I have my travel pillow, a good book to read and a good deal of ready euos as I've no idea how much hotel meals or room service is.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has any last minute pieces of handy advice that they could chuck my way before I leave that might ease my week a bit.

I have to say it's totally crept up on me but true to my promises to myself I've been watching lots of films featuring guys with cool hair (Kurt Russell & Hugh Jackman are my personal faves) and pausing to looks at my consultation pics and if my hairline turns out the same as the one Dr B drew on my head in the photos then I'll be a very happy chap indeed and yes I'm toying with the idea of going outside with Wolverine hair when (or if) it grows in. :P

It's strange sitting in my flat alone on the cusp of this week typing this, almost surreal and like it's not really me that's doing this. Maybe it's normal, maybe I'm just a weirdo but either way I think this is going to be a life changing week whatever the outcome. I'm sure it will be a positive one but I'm also preparing for a worst case scenario at the back of my mind to be realistic but my brain keeps going back to how good it will be.

Well that's about it! The next time I post a a topic on here will probably be my first post op pictures and then lots of moany blogs about waiting and having a cold head and missing my long hair.

See you n the other side! :)

Good luck pal. It'll be the best thing you've ever done hopefully! If you have an iPad, laptop, kindle etc, take it with you as it'll come handy if you're up at night like I was.

Maybe wear gloves if you like to scratch, I found them essential mainly due to paranoia.

Keep us posted & all the best!

Good Luck chum, I'm rooting for you! Having gone through "the eve of combat" (well it feels a bit like that) myself a few weeks ago (I flew UK to Istanbul), I can empathise with your natural apprehension & nerves. I felt 'very alone' in my journey (both physically as it was a totally foreign city and mentally as until you are there, it feels surreal & you don't know what's waiting for you!).

My taxi ride to the clinic I was thinking, "What the hell am I doing here? Have I seriously paid good money & volunteered myself to be subjected to this? Am I crazy??"

It really all felt quite unreal to be honest.

And as you wait at home, checking and rechecking that you have all your documents and addresses and times..etc, part of you will just want the whole thing over and done with!

Bring an iPod with your fave music to play.

Bring a postcard sized prompt card with brief prompt questions to ask the surgeon (because when you're there & adrenalin is pumping, you don't want to rely on just memory!

I found that a stretchy towelling sweat band for your head afterwards and a light cotton large bandana was handy to cover up afters and it fits around the sweatband :)

If just hand luggage then bring some 100 ml bottles to decant liquids that the Doc might give you for travelling through airport.

Button front shirts so no pulling over head.

Print out pics of some guys with hairlines that you like. Good to bring to pre op discussion.

Good luck and focus on why you're doing it and the difference in 12 months (just this time next year! So not long).

Regards, Campbell

Edited by CAMPBELL

Thanks for the reply's guys and the great advice, defo a few things I missed.

The Doc pretty much got the shape of the hairline bang on in the consultation first time and I have a few things to say about graft placement at the front (I'd like it nice and staggered) but aside from that I'm all cool to go. I'll have my phone on me if I need to reference.

It's great to know that everyone has the same thoughts as me. Your story about the taxi ride Campbell is exactly what was racing through my head today so it's very comforting to know that no-one is alone in terms of feeling the same beforehand.

Best of luck! I'm sure it will all go very smoothly!

PS: I edited the thread title to make it a bit more PG ; )

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

- If you're staying long term a few days make sure to do all your food shopping and buy everything you need for post-op, the day before.

- Also ask the hotel for extra pillows the night before.

- Bring sleeping pills and or melatonin even if you never have taken them before, when needed they really help.

- Make sure your return flight seat is already selected where you want for privacy.

- Remind the doc exactly what you want, even just before the surgery. Tell him to make it as dense as you are looking for.

good luck

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks for all the great advice guys. Currently sitting in my hotel room, sleep deprived and

thinking "what the bloody hell am I doing?"

Blood test in 15 minutes though so I guess there's no turning back now!

good luck man!

no turning back now, remind the doc of exactly what you want

btw I think FUE 2014 and Johnboy71 had the same login issues before

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Ok the above post is me but I've been logged in as someone else? Strangeness!

I have just posted as you as well!

Have informed the mods.

I have also been Johnnyboy as well on occasions :D

All the best swayzedo.

You've chosen well and I'm sure all will be fine.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Maybe we are all melding into one, like some sort of hair transplant Borg collective. :)

And the doc will be getting an earful tomorrow. He got my hairline shape bang on in the consultation but I have a phone loaded with pictures and image urls to show him about what I like in graft placement.

I feel like there has been a switch flipped in me as If to say I'm past the point of safe return so just bulldoze in to it!

• 3 weeks later...

Went really well and looking back it was no big deal, the first week post op was worse. I'm 14 days tomorrow and things seem to be on track so just waiting for shedding at the moment. I'll be doing a full write up once I get the pictures of the day from the clinic and other updated images.

The actual hairline design is more curved that what I originally wanted but I have to say I'm digging it and I feel better that it was played safe.

Can't make a full judgement until it's grown in but so far it's 10/10 from BHR and staff!