Thinking about not following through with scheduled FUE, please help!

Price should never be the driving factor when determining a HT doc or general details of the procedure. Pick a doctor based on results. Aim for getting the amount of grafts you actually need. If you need more money, save up. You can't save up or want the HT now? Then you're not ready for a HT.

OP, you'll probably read what I just wrote and think "ya k thanks" so let me help you out here,

Price should never be the driving factor

Repeat after me,

Also I should mention,

Do you understand now? Any questions?

I didn't read this whole thread but it seems you're looking for a "deal" on a hair transplant as if you're buying a used car. If that's the case, cancel your procedure immediately. Nothing more needs to be said. The rest of the details are irrelevant. You've gone about this wrong. Time to wipe the board clean and draw up a new plan.

• Thanks 1

Last one, if anyone can give me an idea if 1400 grafts is even worth it for me I'd appreciate it, thanks.

1,400 grafts will not be enough to satisfy you IMO. It will strengthen your hairline, but I don't think it can lower it and have good density.

• Like 1

I get particularly worked up about situations like this because of my own short sighted decisions about surgery twenty two years ago.

Joe is giving you some golden advice here, others like myself have also rushed into surgery when young during our early twenties that we regret and we're trying to steer you away from making the same mistake.

Sounds like from your responses that despite the forum consensus to avoid this surgery, you are trying to talk yourself into it or rationale that you need to have it done.

While you won't end up with a linear scar, FUE is still a scarring process and if the grafts are not placed by an experienced surgeon you could end up with poor yield and also incorrect hair angles that will look unnatural.

My guess is best case scenario you will get some low yield growth (small percentage of 1,400) that will require future procedures to make it look more natural, and worst case you will end up with poor/unnatural results and also waste your money.

Think it over and good luck!

• Thanks 1

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Well roots I think you're scaring me out of it haha...and that does make me feel like maybe I'm rushing it. I didn't go into this looking for the cheapest route or even looking for a deal at all, this was just the only hair restoration place I've ever lived near or visited (I moved to Grand Rapids a few months ago). I went in to check out the possibility of a procedure and it happened he was about to have this robot, and having the artas experts there with him. So I'd have best of both worlds there with me...the artas expert and the transplant doctor...I don't know it just seemed like good timing and luck for me to get a deal like that. But I see everybody's valid points and I'm getting scared out of it.

• Like 1

Hsrp...you hit it on the money, I think I've been trying to talk myself into it. Ive had a bad receding hairline ever since I was 17, and I feel like I'm a good looking dude but I just got robbed of being able to have my peak best physical appearance. It's kind of like a now or never thing, shave or transplant. I want to be able to enjoy swimming and being on a boat or whatever, without being paranoid about my hair. The thought of it actually being feasible has never been so close in my reach in all the years I've been obsessed about my hairline. But I knew that it's not something to be taken lightly, and that's exactly why I came here. I think the overwhelming advice is to not go forward at this point, and I think it'd be foolish if I didn't listen. I just don't see myself wanting to do this procedure when I'm older, I want it while I'm still young, and could, should be in my prime. Do you have even in the ballpark somewhere, how much you think I would have to spend on a good transplant with a reputable doctor on the graphs I would need? I just wanna know if it's something worth me aspiring for or to just say screw it, and shave my head.

• Like 1

Hsrp...you hit it on the money, I think I've been trying to talk myself into it. Ive had a bad receding hairline ever since I was 17, and I feel like I'm a good looking dude but I just got robbed of being able to have my peak best physical appearance. It's kind of like a now or never thing, shave or transplant. I want to be able to enjoy swimming and being on a boat or whatever, without being paranoid about my hair. The thought of it actually being feasible has never been so close in my reach in all the years I've been obsessed about my hairline. But I knew that it's not something to be taken lightly, and that's exactly why I came here. I think the overwhelming advice is to not go forward at this point, and I think it'd be foolish if I didn't listen. I just don't see myself wanting to do this procedure when I'm older, I want it while I'm still young, and could, should be in my prime. Do you have even in the ballpark somewhere, how much you think I would have to spend on a good transplant with a reputable doctor on the graphs I would need? I just wanna know if it's something worth me aspiring for or to just say screw it, and shave my head.

What about Care Credit? Do people finance HT's? (A family member of mine is a cosmetic dentist and his patients finance procedures with care credit from time to time.. I know Vetrinarians have that too). I don't love the idea of financing luxuries but when you make the argument about being in your "prime appearance" that tugs at my heart strings a bit.

Another consideration- I got a pretty nice discount on my procedure for signing up to be a candidate on a standby list where the physician's office would call me to fill in for a cancellation (which reminds me, if you cancel you shouldn't feel too bad because your doc may have someone else on standby). Mohebi's office called me about a week or so before the procedure date and told me if I want, I can come in and get the procedure done on a Friday. So, I talked with my boss to make sure I can get a day or two off and he was supportive.. so I did it.

My thoughts are that it would cost somewhere between $6-$12k to do an FUT procedure with 1400-3000 grafts, depending on the surgeon, location, travel expenses, etc. That's just a ballpark, and my thoughts.

Edited by Paulygon

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Thank you for your kind words and help Pauly. I was actually going to pay for this procedure with credit care, Id have two years to pay it off, no interest. It's my understanding with credit care, the more you spend, the more time you have to pay it off with no interest. So I guess if another recommended doctor used credit care, I could pay a higher price but have longer to pay it off. An FUT procedure can't do 3000 grafts in one session correct? Would I have to do half and half a year apart?

• Wow 1

I am new to this forum and to having am empirical view on advising, however I can comment on having a similar hairline. My temples receded drastically in my early twenties, yet reached some kind of stable situation fairly quickly. For the last ten years since then, the rest has thinned. Be under no dilution, if you have a decent amount of area in the front of your head where you wish you had hair (i.e. you temples:a couple of fingers thickness worth), it seems you should try to tackle this fully on its own properly. From what I have gathered, I think that means you should try to get a good density in these frontal exposed regions and "forget" about the rest of your head (forever or until another FUE). From what I hve been told, the minimum in a similar situation is ~2000grafts or 5-6K hairs.

My upcoming planned FUE is which a great Dr, but I am going in with no expectations (aside from hopefully accomplishing a slightly different look from what I currently have). Its a gamble!

Just make sure you get a bunch of opinions from Drs, patients results etc that are similar to your situation and what you want to achieve. Thick hair lines and coverage in deep temple recession require a decent amount of grafts. Thats fine....just try to expect the outcomes. Disappointment from unrealistic expectations/hopefulness is a common theme on here. If you want to come out of your first FUE uber satisfied.... bump up the grafts over a couple of days or spread your total plans (id say ~3000g) over a few years. Oh, get on fin and minoxidil !

My last comment would be, dont be a test patient for a robot procedure. Machines are dumb and require human intervention to tell them how to operate. Whats more, the FUE robot requires trained PROs to augment the mechanical extractions. Dont be a part of the Drs "learning curve".

Resign to paying more for an experienced and proven surgeon who does manual FUE, and if you desire a hairline like when you were 17, be prepared to have a couple/few FUEs.

Baldness sucks bad, but remember...you can still smile...laugh...jump....dance....and imagine

Good luck, bro...

Edited by Shacked
  • Like 1

Yea shacked, I saw those pics on the Internet actually, which did lead me to believe that I could be happy with 1400 grafts. I visited the doctor again this morning. His new consultant was there and had work done by dr holt. This guy was very bald before though, and had a lot of ground to cover, thus his hair was not very dense. But his hairline looked good, and the pics I saw of other patients this doc had done looked good too. And i paybattention to detail, i can always tell if someone has a receding hairline or not, even if others cant.Also, dr seemed confident the artas robot will do a great job at getting good grafts, and even if one graft is transcended...it is not lost. Seems legit to me , and now I'm just wondering about the people on here that are so against the robot and how much they actually know about it.

• Wow 1

ps. I chose this Dr, because as you can see, a lot can be achieved with comparatively few numbers of grafts if the expertise are there: Hair Transplant Image Gallery | FUE Patients Pictures

We are all betting heavy on a gamble, but I don't think it should be one that if it fails ruins your happiness.

I have always been impressed with Dr Reddy. I have been seeing his results for years now and he is consistent in using very few grafts and getting a lot more done with the amount that one might have thought could be done. I don't know how he does it or how his results are possible with the amount of grafts he uses, but he's legit.

which did lead me to believe that I could be happy with 1400 grafts.

BalloonKnot, Dr Reddy's work is very unique. What he can do for you with 1400 grafts, probably can't be replicated by other doctors. Especially not an unknown doctor. Something bad can happen with 1.4k grafts, like a very sparse hair transplant. I don't know how Dr Reddy does it, but over the years it's something that I notice it's unique to him. Those are not your average results. It's the same as looking at any top doctors work and thinking maybe another doctor can do the same. Some doctors have unique skills that only they have mastered.

I have always been impressed with Dr Reddy. I have been seeing his results for years now and he is consistent in using very few grafts and getting a lot more done with the amount that one might have thought could be done. I don't know how he does it or how his results are possible with the amount of grafts he uses, but he's legit.

Perhaps it is related to his "3G FUE" technique?

The clinic also claims to have one of the most painless FUE techniques with very little after swelling. Minimizing head trauma has to play a large role.

Thank you for your kind words and help Pauly. I was actually going to pay for this procedure with credit care, Id have two years to pay it off, no interest. It's my understanding with credit care, the more you spend, the more time you have to pay it off with no interest. So I guess if another recommended doctor used credit care, I could pay a higher price but have longer to pay it off. An FUT procedure can't do 3000 grafts in one session correct? Would I have to do half and half a year apart?

I think it is possible to get 3000 grafts in one FUT procedure.

I got 2710 in mine. The estimate was 2500 with my doc saying we will try for more if possible.

The # of grafts retrievable really depends on scalp laxity and donor density; your doc will give you an estimate during your consult.

My regimen includes:

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

If you're going to invest hard earned money in a hair transplant, go to the surgeon that your most comfortable with. It's worth the extra $350 for a plane ticket! Read my profile story. By the way...your pictures look like you have a pretty good head of hair. Most honest FUE doctors will tell you what to expect from 1,400 grafts.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you John Casper, I did read your story. My doctor has n? been deceptive at all, we talked about what to expect and he even said he'd extend my discounted price in the future if I decided I wanted more grafts. His before and after pictures seem legit. But everyone on here seems to think if they haven't heard of a doctor than the doctor is no good, to me that sounds a little crazy. But I also respect everyone's opinions on the subject and I understand the seriousness of the issue. I'm just at a stand still I guess , and nobody will ultimately make the decision but me.

If you're going to invest hard earned money in a hair transplant, go to the surgeon that your most comfortable with. It's worth the extra $350 for a plane ticket! Read my profile story. By the way...your pictures look like you have a pretty good head of hair. Most honest FUE doctors will tell you what to expect from 1,400 grafts.

and you can probably be reimbursed for travel.

I did some research and credit care and spring stone (which is similar) are pretty common for HT procedures.

looks like you have some options my friend! no matter which way you decide to go, we are rooting for you!

My regimen includes:

"But everyone on here seems to think if they haven't heard of a doctor than the doctor is no good"

If you think that's the message being conveyed then you haven't really been listening.

"But I also respect everyone's opinions on the subject and I understand the seriousness of the issue."

I don't think you mean this. You've been warned by people, myself included, who have been in your exact shoes that it's better to research more, and probably not go with a doctor unknown to the forums with a technique he just started doing. We've seen this countless times before with newbie posters and it almost never ends happily.

"I'm just at a stand still I guess , and nobody will ultimately make the decision but me."

You're right; it's your money, your head, your decision. Good luck.

• Like 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Sir, I really do respect and especially appreciate everybody's input! If I didn't, I wouldn't have asked. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can in a short time period. I honestly don't see myself following through with it this week as I have so many doubts, and rightfully so, from information you guys have given me. I would never go into something as serious and permanent as a HT having so many doubts...it would eat me alive

• Like 1

And paulygon, thanks once again! You guys are seriously all class acts, going out of your way to address concerns for strangers. You guys have a great community here, and are all good people. The world needs more people like yourselves, and I can't thank everybody enough for just taking their own time to help me out :)

Ok, it sounds like you are being level headed. All too often young guys will come on here, receive endless pages of sage advice, only to do the exact opposite and come back posting pictures of horror. This is frustrating because many of us wish we had the benefit of this forum pre-HT.

Now, you are correct, just because we haven't heard of Dr. Holt doesn't mean he produces poor work. He could be a great HT doctor. But the beauty of this forum is that each recommended doctor has been pre-screened for you. In addition to presenting their own work, hundreds of patients are posting unsolicited examples of their work. These doctors know they are being held to high standards and they have a hard-earned reputation on the line that can be trashed by a vast and knowledgeable online, global community.

And yet, even these top doctors can lay the occasional egg. This happens because HTs have many variables, including patient physiology, poor tech work, a brand new piece of equipment, mismanaged expectations, etc. You do not want your choice of surgeon, nor the method he is employing, to be one of these variables. HTs have no guarantee of success: even the doctors will admit this, although not to your face, but it will be in the waiver you sign pre-surgery.

The best advice you can follow is to take your time and research, research, research. Start a list of HT docs whose work you really like. Then you can consult with them (most do over the phone, or via Skype. etc). You may have to travel for the surgery, but it's worthwhile.

Believe me, I understand your desire to grab that carrot being dangled. I jumped into HT surgery after simply meeting with MHR and one small guy. HUGE mistake. Luckily I found this forum soon after and really did my due diligence. Again, good luck to you.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

P.S. I had a chance to check out this doctor's web site. If I were going by that alone I would avoid this guy. For one, he is pushing ARTAS pretty hard which is surprising for someone just introducing it to their clinic. Honestly it looks like he's advertising discount oil changes. Secondly his results section is severely lacking. He has 4 examples of his work and they don't reveal very much about the actual work that was done. There is also a video of a patient sitting there with a bandage on his head. Again, it shows nothing really of the doctor's work. These are usually tell-tale signs of potential subpar HT work, IMO.

Spend time here. You will see in-depth examples of superlative HT work including intra-op pictures. The real deal.

• Like 1

BalloonKnot, Dr Reddy's work is very unique. What he can do for you with 1400 grafts, probably can't be replicated by other doctors. Especially not an unknown doctor. Something bad can happen with 1.4k grafts, like a very sparse hair transplant. I don't know how Dr Reddy does it, but over the years it's something that I notice it's unique to him. Those are not your average results. It's the same as looking at any top doctors work and thinking maybe another doctor can do the same. Some doctors have unique skills that only they have mastered.

This is worth a read and from Dr Reddy's site

Ultra Dense Packing | Hairloss Treatments | Harley Street London

I agree with Hairthere.

There is no substantial evidence on Dr Holts site of him performing good FUE. He has before and after pictures which to me look like infomercial type set ups. No proper before, during, after, and 6-12 months after procedure pics, from a range of patients. Then he has some random dude saying how great he is.

Either the Dr has zero idea how to market himself or is sketchy and just recently jumped on the FUE bandwagon after seeing the dollar signs popping up.

Good surgeons charge a premium because they provide a quality service. This guy clearly is just starting out, he doesn't have the expertise for manual extraction and so has franchised/acquired/loaned a robot. This is also reflected in the reduced prices he offers to try to drum up business in the face of a skinny portfolio of patient results to back up his expertise.

Personally I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

• Thanks 1