John Travolta and the Oscars

Spanker

So, I watched about 20 minutes of the Oscars last night and saw John Travolta on there. Apparently he flubbed someone's name and now every news article I read is talking about his hair piece, which of course everyone knows he wears, and he knows everyone knows, so what is the big deal? I think that it looks fine. I would guess that upwards of 40 percent of the male audience of any kind of a mature age either has a hair piece, a hair transplant, or both.

I think it is too bad that every media outlet and blog that I have read about him and the Oscars mentions his hair in a derogatory manner. It's a cheap shot and scummy journalism.

Well, that's my rant.

P.S. I thought Mathew McConahay's (sp) hair was looking good too.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think it is too bad that every media outlet and blog that I have read about him and the Oscars mentions his hair in a derogatory manner. It's a cheap shot and scummy journalism.

Unfortunately I think this is a case of media reflecting society, and society has deemed men wearing a wig taboo... so the topic is controversial and juicy for media outlets to poke at.

I think it's taboo because sadly men aren't supposed to care about hairloss enough to try to hide it with a hair piece. That's considered extreme, weird, and vain... except, society also places high value on hair. So go figure.

Considering he lost his teenage son a few years ago, you would think some empathy might be shown. The media and the peanut gallery of judgmental, mean spirited people never ceases to amaze me. There is that old saying "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all". If he showed up on stage bald they would give him crap. Can't win either way.

Considering he lost his teenage son a few years ago, you would think some empathy might be shown.

I thought about that too everytime he gets sh*t on by the media, just leave the poor guy alone but I guess that's life in Hollywood.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Yes it's pretty mean spirited, but dude it's an awful piece. The super low hairline, middle part, and density just screams hairpiece. If he chose a more aesthetically believable piece, it would look so much better and wouldn't draw so much attention.

Example : Ben Affleck wears a piece, but the difference is that it's believable.

Spanker,

I definitely see your point. Regardless, I do think he looks much better without the hair piece.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Spanker,

I definitely see your point. Regardless, I do think he looks much better without the hair piece.

I think he looks better with it most of the time. He has had a few that weren't as great. He looks good either way to me. It just eats me up how people target in the media/blogs target balding men who want to do something about it. I think that he could benefit from a transplant and keep a more natural look with less effort.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Yeah, I definitely think a transplant may be ideal. In a few movies/public outings, he's sported more of a shaved look with the hair pieces, and it - in my opinion - looked the most natural and aesthetically pleasing. It seems like something he could achieve with FUE and semi-frequent "buzz" cuts. To each his own, I suppose! However, it doesn't change the stigmatization you're describing - and I completely agree with your assessment here: it's not fair.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yeah, you'd think a rich guy who is concerned enough about his hair to routinely wear wigs for many years would just get on meds and get a HT with a top FUE surgeon already. I'm sure a lot more actors than we know about have done this... it's just strange Travolta hasn't. Wonder what his reasons are, or if he's even aware how effective today's HTs can be.

Would it be possible Travolta got previous, unsuccessful work done, and may no longer be a decent candidate? This is the impression I always had to be honest.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3