Featherd effect of lighter hairs in a natural hairline

Out and about last night and as usual I was eyeing up peoples hairlines.

It really is getting hard to tell who has had a transplant and who hasn't because the designs of the actual transplanted hairlines are getting so artistically accurate but there's one thing I really have noticed and that's the presence of finer lighter hairs in a natural hairline.

I know in transplants a good surgeon like Dr Bisanga (Who I am booking with this year) does pick grafts that have only 1 hair to make a gradient towards the front of the hairline but even so sometimes the very front of a transplanted hairline can still look harsh compared to a natural one and I am sure it's because there is lots of lighter, almost very long vellus hairs blended in to give a feathered look in a natural hairline.

Even looking at my own hairline at the temples which hasn't receded at all (it's just the actual brow line) there is a blend of dark and light hairs which really gives a natural softening effect.

These lighter hairs are at the back of my head as well so do you think that this should be taken into consideration when designing a hairline?

Even the very best transplants with a beautiful gradient can still look very 'deliberate' without the lighter hairs blended in with the very dark ones so I'm thinking it may be something for patients and surgeons to consider even though it may bump up the graft count a bit more.

Thanks!

Interestingly iv often seen some wow results that are not necessarily that natural looking!! However iv often wondered about if a natural hairline only contains single hairs which are usually the lighter thinner ones to start with what happens when someone naturally recedes?? For example if my natural hairline went back 2cm from its original position then my frontal hairline at that point wouldn't been the thinner single hairs as they've been lost and surely my new hairline would contain courser hairs and doubles etc?? Is this true??

This is one of my biggest concerns for HTs. I dont know if its because im looking for it, but alot of the results i see have a slightly unnatural looking hairline. Not so much in the shape, but because the hairs seem too thick at the front.

Im going to make clear to my doc that i want single, thin hairs at the front. (surely the ones from the nape of the neck would be ideal?)

I wonder if people who arent aware of the HT, will notice this?

Dr. Konior will not only separate grafts by number (1's, 2's, 3's) but also by caliber, placing the finest one hair grafts in the hairline.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

What about the point I made earlier dr Charles? When someone who naturally recedes a couple of cm back who has no transplant work but his new hairline is 2 cm further back than his original one from when he was younger surely that hairline will not be all singles as 2 cm back into an untouched natural hairline must contain thicker singles and 2 s???if not how dies it work as you naturally recede?

Looking at my hairline where it has receded it is mixed in with the vellus hairs that used to be my old hairline so the softer effect is most certainly still there.

imnothere, I agree with you 100%. I think sometimes the hair at the very front of a transplant can be 'too perfect' and combined with very dark hairs it does give an unnatural look even though the hairline shape may be fine.

Dr Charles I totally agree too, a staggered hairline is what I would want and I can see that this is done in most transplants but the actual margin area for the staggering of fine hairs still seems very tight at the front of most transplants which looks like about half a cm when I think a full cm at least would be more appropriate to break up that nasty solid line that can give away a transplant.

Spanker, that is an excellent point you make about calibre or gauge of hairs. I can see in HT's that it is most certainly 1's in the front of the hairline but they seem just too thick to be there. Definitely something for all surgeons to consider.

What about the point I made earlier dr Charles? When someone who naturally recedes a couple of cm back who has no transplant work but his new hairline is 2 cm further back than his original one from when he was younger surely that hairline will not be all singles as 2 cm back into an untouched natural hairline must contain thicker singles and 2 s???if not how dies it work as you naturally recede?

The 2s and 3s lose a hair and gradually become 1s and 2s respectively...and then 0s and 1s...

...ending up with 0s and 0s.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks dr Charles but I don't think you quite what I was on about! I'm not talking about creating a hairline through surgery I'm talking about someone who looses all their original hairline and has a higher hairline say 1-2cm s further back as their new hairline, obviously that area of hair originally contained 2s and multiple grafts so if that area was to become the new hairline how wouldn't that look weird as it would nt have that single hair only feathered appearance anymore even though now transplant had been performed!!

Thanks Matt, so what your saying is the 3 s and 2s that exist naturally say 2 cm back on your original god given hairline would of probably lost 1 or 2 of them hairs by the time you have receded far enough back for that to be your new hairline!! Interesting as iv always wondered that!!

Thanks Matt, so what your saying is the 3 s and 2s that exist naturally say 2 cm back on your original god given hairline would of probably lost 1 or 2 of them hairs by the time you have receded far enough back for that to be your new hairline!! Interesting as iv always wondered that!!

Yeah, I think it's as simple as that really.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day