Konior or Rahal....help me decide

SKOS

Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for a couple of years, and I am ready to take the plunge. I am 50 with Class Va baldness. Aside form having a successful procedure, my second priority is to have only ONE procedure if possible.

A couple of years ago, after much research, I had decided on Dr. Rahal as he seemed to be highly skilled, produced outstanding results, and was able to perform "mega-sessions". As I have moved closer to proceeding I have re-explored this site and I have noticed that Dr. Konior also seems to have advanced and refined his technique to be able to accomplish a "one and done" treatment.

I live in the Chicago area 30 minutes form Dr. Konior's office, so that is a big plus. However, I do not mind travelling if there would be a significant benefit in seeing Dr. Rahal.

I know they are both highly regarded surgeons on this forum. Is Dr. Rahal significantly better with regard to technique and results that it would justify the added cost and inconvenience of travelling to Ottawa?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Two top surgeons, but I will admit to being a BIG fan of Dr Koniors work. If all of the FUE surgeons on the planet retired tomorrow and I needed another HT.....I think there'd be a very good chance I'd be making my way to Chicago.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Both are great! They were my top 2 choices as well…In the end I went with Dr Rahal and Im very pleased…However, if I have another procedure and I choose not to travel as far,,,it will be Dr Konior all the way…I won't even look at another surgeon…I love both of their work..

Cant go wrong either way!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I'm not sure I would want to do a FUE. I'm not too keen on getting a buzz cut....or maybe i need to educate myself a little more.

If you need a megasession…the only way to go IMO is FUT.:)

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Both docs are highly skilled. If you are considering Dr. K I would also consider setting up a consult. Being so close, you wouldn't have much to lose. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Both docs are highly skilled. If you are considering Dr. K I would also consider setting up a consult. Being so close, you wouldn't have much to lose. Good luck.

Agreed, go and talk to the guy he is an amazing surgeon.

I've had one with Dr. Hasson and another procedure with Dr. Konior, if I ever have another FUT procedure it will 100% for sure be with Dr. Konior again.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

SKOS: I had decided on Dr. Rahal as he seemed to be highly skilled, produced outstanding results, and was able to perform "mega-sessions".

the reason he can do "mega sessions" is because techs insert the grafts

vs. konior who does this himself

with these type of clinics you must weigh the risk of tech turnover as well

go to konior

wish he did FUE

• 5 months later...

Hey,

I am a Rahal patient and I did soooo much research and ultimately selected him based on results. I wouldn't worry about traveling further or money in that this is your head and your life. Convenience unfortunately never is ideal as I too traveled over 10 hours to get my procedure. It was not easy at all but if you want results you will go to the end of the earth to get them.

With that said, Dr. Rahal is a wonderful choice. I would however meet with both of them in person and see whom you feel most comfortable with. I met Dr. Rahal in person and even had some of his former patients come in so I can check out their results in person which really sold me vs. seeing pictures on a computer so I recommend that approach as well.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me!

Nothing against Rahal, but if I had the money, I`d definitely choose Konior. Rahal is top notch, too, of course, but Konior is a true artist, and I think he takes an approach with lesser grafts for even better results, and a more natural hairline than Rahal. He in general seems to be more dedicated to the patient rather than money (again: not to discredit Rahal, but I always thought beside Lorenzo, Konior might be the surgeon who is most "obsessive" with a natural look and the patients long-term wellbeing).

Nothing against Rahal, but if I had the money, I`d definitely choose Konior. Rahal is top notch, too, of course, but Konior is a true artist, and I think he takes an approach with lesser grafts for even better results, and a more natural hairline than Rahal. He in general seems to be more dedicated to the patient rather than money (again: not to discredit Rahal, but I always thought beside Lorenzo, Konior might be the surgeon who is most "obsessive" with a natural look and the patients long-term wellbeing).

Agreed. I believe your complementary qualities you describe are also relevant to Dr Reddy

Hey,

I am a Rahal patient and I did soooo much research and ultimately selected him based on results. I wouldn't worry about traveling further or money in that this is your head and your life. Convenience unfortunately never is ideal as I too traveled over 10 hours to get my procedure. It was not easy at all but if you want results you will go to the end of the earth to get them.

With that said, Dr. Rahal is a wonderful choice. I would however meet with both of them in person and see whom you feel most comfortable with. I met Dr. Rahal in person and even had some of his former patients come in so I can check out their results in person which really sold me vs. seeing pictures on a computer so I recommend that approach as well.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me!

any recent pics?

i see your page only has up to 9 months

email or pm if better for you

congrats on your great result

Rahal may be more aggressive than Dr. Konior, but Dr. K places all the grafts himself and gets early growth and solid results.

I believe one recent patient here was concerned how much time Rahal spends in the surgery room recently.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Agreed. I believe your complementary qualities you describe are also relevant to Dr Reddy

I'm not sure how Dr. Reddy comes in here?? besides starting with "R"

though I'm glad you had a good experience with him

go dense or go home

I've experienced both, and the post-op redness went away faster and the growth was earlier for both of my procedures with Dr. Konior due to his immaculate work and precision.

I mentioned this in the past but the doctor has more to lose as his reputation and the overall results are on the line, while a tech who has a bad day could always quit and move on to another clinic if the results are poor. Most clinics do it this way I know, but I prefer Dr. Konior's method after experiencing both. The "Dr. K factor" is important as well as he's one of the best in the world. It might not matter so much if done by other docs.

I also think Dr. Lorenzo also places the grafts himself, but don't have any direct experience with him. Lorenzo and Konior come up on a lot of people's top 3 lists so I do think there is something about Dr. graft placement that can matter.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

I have no idea who's better, and I'm guessing nobody here does either. Why? Because most of the info on this site is second hand knowledge or based on doctor before afters that are unreliable IMO. I also wouldn't put too much faith in recommendations from satisfied patients. Although it's nice they are happy with their result, their idea of good might not be close to what you expect. Unfortunately, the only way to truly know is to view multiple patients in person from each doc. Anyone that doesn't do this before taking the plunge is asking for trouble.

This is one of the most open and informative hair transplant resources anywhere out there, period.

If you can't find what you are looking for or are not impressed by the current work being done, then don't have a HT. No need to trash people's results (like you did in the case with 1978matt) or be overly negative about people simply sharing their honest experiences. I for one am glad this site and the thousands of results and photos exist, it has helped me immensely.

Unfortunately, the only way to truly know is to view multiple patients in person from each doc. Anyone that doesn't do this before taking the plunge is asking for trouble.

While this may be decent advice I don't think it is realistically possible for most.

go dense or go home

Hey!

I just had an excellent experience with Dr Konior via an email consultation directly with the Doctor. (His email can be found on his website). He answered all of my questions in absolute detail with the sincerest honesty imaginable.

Also, I am a big fan of the fact that he does most of the work himself. He also wanted to ensure that my expectations were in check. I recommend sending the doctor an email and if possible see the doctor in person. I just got the impression that he really had my best interest in mind. I like that quality in a person.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hey Rev333--I am planning on posting some new updated pics...stay tuned! :)

@ Rev333-I plan on posting some new pics shortly...stay tuned! :)

Hey!

I just had an excellent experience with Dr Konior via an email consultation directly with the Doctor. (His email can be found on his website). He answered all of my questions in absolute detail with the sincerest honesty imaginable.

Also, I am a big fan of the fact that he does most of the work himself. He also wanted to ensure that my expectations were in check. I recommend sending the doctor an email and if possible see the doctor in person. I just got the impression that he really had my best interest in mind. I like that quality in a person.

In the world of HT's there is a lot of sleeze and taking advantage of patients, so it's a major plus to have Dr. K on our side as he is one of the truly great surgeons out there and really does care about helping hairloss sufferers. Can't recommend him enough. Changed my life, and I thank Spanker again for posting his results and experiences here.

go dense or go home